Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

hi, new member 2001 class C chalet reseal the entire roof?

thank you for the add. I have been reading up on roof sealants and I am so confused on what to use . I have a 2001 class C chalet. We bought it used and I feel I should reseal the entire roof but unsure what the best to use is. I am pretty sure it is a fiberglass roof. any help would be great.

leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to Winnie Owners, we are glad you joined us.

If you have the time, and for future questions, completing a signature with the year make and model for your Winnie can help others to help you. And you can do that here;

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/p...=editsignature

P.S. We have changed the title of your post and moved it, to help you get an answer to your first question.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here are a couple of useful links:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...t%20Sheets.pdf

https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Sealant.htm

If things are in relatively bad condition, it's best to remove the fixture (vent, etc.), clean up all of the old sealant, re-seal and re-mount. I think you'll find that the most commonly used Winnebago part number will cross-reference to Manus Bond 75-AM sealant.

If things look to be in relatively good shape, you can clean things up and use Eternabond tape to cover all of the mounting flanges, extending over the edges to the roof. Personally this is what I chose to do. You'll find some nay-sayers but most of us who've done this are happy with it.

Whatever you choose to do, remember that gooping on globs of sealant over old sealant isn't going to do the job. You're never going to see gobs of sealant on a well-kept sailboat. In fact, you're going to be hard pressed to see any sealant since it's all between the fittings and the deck. Even the screw heads are shiny metal, the sealant is under them and in the screw hole.

And, although many will disagree, despite it's popularity, Dicor is not formulated for fiberglass roofs and is only specified by Winnebago for the rubber roofs on it's towables. Will it work, probably, but why not use what Winnebago specifies for its fiberglass roofs?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks

thank you for the great information. I am going to get it all stripped down and start from scratch. I think that is the best for me at this point. At least I know I got everything covered.(hopefully) wish me luck!!
Old 03-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisure View Post
thank you for the great information. I am going to get it all stripped down and start from scratch. I think that is the best for me at this point. At least I know I got everything covered.(hopefully) wish me luck!!
Good idea and, if you add Eternabond, you shouldn't have to be concerned about it for years to come.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I agree with BobC. I used Eternabond on the roof of my first RV and it worked well for 12 years until I sold the RV. Did have to redo a place or two over the years, but for the most part, it's maintenance free.

I've also added Eternabond to my new to me Winnie roof. End caps and all along the roof edges for now, but eventually, I'll do all around the fixtures. For now, they're in really good condition. Not sure if the C models have the issue, but the Class A's are known to have the fiberglass roof rip apart or rip off if the caulking along the edges isn't keep in excellent condition.

Here's a link to my blog post about what I've done to my roofs, may or may not apply to your situation: Weatherizing my RV...

And here's a direct link to the roof section: Roof info

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thanks. very helpful

Tags
new member, class c, roof, seal