Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Frustration with NADA vs dealership prices for used Views

Has anyone had success negotiating for a big price difference with dealerships Shopping for a 2016 View now Just missed out on 2 that were midway in the NADA price range for retail.

Most of the dealerships are asking as much as $12K more the retail range is 64 to 77 and I am seeing prices in the mid to high 80's from private parties Has anyone had decent wiggle room from one from a dealership asking for such high prices? Reluctant to go ebay and get someone's headache as we really want some type of warranty. Wish we never sold our first one, but it was the original one without a lower bed. Loved my view
Camping girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sorry you are having a hard time finding a deal. It is basic economics where price = supply and demand. The View is proven to be a great RV and has created a large demand which drives the price up. NADA is only a reference. Bite the bullet and enjoy.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dealers use one book to price the coach you are trading in and another book to price the one you want to purchase. This is true whether you are shopping for a motorhome or a car. Do your homework beforehand and know the going prices. Use multiple sources such as RV Trader, etc. and search near and far - prices vary greatly. Have these prices in mind and be willing to walk away if the price is unreasonable. They will negotiate, especially on last year’s model still in warranty. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

That's the challenge I have been trying to do homework and know we are looking for a popular unit.

The one we just missed sold at the dealership for rock bottom immediately after being traded in even though I told the salesman we were looking for one someone else was waiting in the wings. I knew it was a fair price because of the NADA scale

Another dealership is asking a full $25K more for the same thing on their lot - same features! Can't imagine they would even meet you 1/2 way
Camping girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They have to keep the lights on and give away popcorn and hotdogs somehow. Private party is the way to go IMO. We found ours on https://www.rvtrader.com/ We were also searching craigs list ads, ebay. You just need to know what you are looking for and be ready to pull the trigger... With a dealer purchase you get a bit of comfort with a warranty. Ours had the slide awning installed incorrectly so the slide would not go all the way out. Simple fix for me but the previous owner didn't even know it wasn't going out.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Stick with private parties - much easier to deal with. There is a simple formula you can use to estimate a selling price of a used unit - Start with the price the owner paid and subtract 7% for year one and 5% for each subsequent year of ownership. This assumes the owner purchased new. If the owner won't disclose what they paid, take the MSRP for that model and subtract 20-25% from it and then do the calculation.

This will give you a better idea of what the retail price should be but owners usually will overvalue their motorhome - especially if they have a loan involved.

Dealer prices are a bit tricky. They accept the trade-in, at best, at low retail (see the NADA guide) and then mark it up about 20% or so. The longer a unit sits, the lower the dealer's potential profit becomes. A quick flip on a new arrival is much better for a dealer. If you need to finance, have all of that done and pre-approved before you start shopping.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When I was shopping, I encountered two private owners (including the one I bought from) who had taken their rigs back from a consignment dealer because they weren't selling. In both cases, the owners immediately dropped their asking prices by 25% or so from the dealer price.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I spent two years kinda looking for a newer rig, and one year seriously looking and I finally gave up on finding a private RV that the owner wasn't hiding serious issues. I know good rigs are out there in the used marked, I just got tired of driving for hours only to find out what the owner 'forgot' to mention.

Finally happened on a consignment lot with the exact RV I wanted. And where I could carefully inspect it myself. I don't regret paying too much, and I did. I'd just looked too long at too many RVs and was tired of it.

With that said, NADA=National Automotive Dealers Association. It's a Dealers book. Isn't a consumers book. Ignore it. Go by what others have said, check what they're selling for on PPL or RVTrader and the like. Than make your best guess offer.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
With that said, NADA=National Automotive Dealers Association. It's a Dealers book. Isn't a consumers book. Ignore it. Go by what others have said, check what they're selling for on PPL or RVTrader and the like. Than make your best guess offer.
Interestingly enough our state's DMV uses the NADA pricing for assessing use taxes for title and registration.

And we couldn't agree more,... we only buy and sell private party.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

While the NADA for cars is based on actual selling prices, RV's are NOT. NADA takes the MSRP for the new RV and then deducts a percentage for each year.
Dealers and private owners are free to ask any price they think they can get and many are way over priced.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I know of NO reason to think you will get a better used RV from a dealer than you would a private sale.
Where ever you buy, get a qualified person to do the inspection. A thorough inspection will take from 4-6 hours so be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for the inspection.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you need to finance, have all of that done and pre-approved before you start shopping.
I do not disagree, but if you are buying from a dealer you should know that they generally get a kickback from the financing company or bank so it can be helpful in bargaining to allow them to use their own financing provided you end up paying the same interest rate.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Used Winnebago pricing

I agree that it is supply and demand and the View is a great unit. I have always done great with private party purchases and actually over 40 years of buying found the dealerships often have the units with major things wrong. But yes. You have to be ready to commit quickly or you will lose out.

I bought my 2008 View 24 J last year for $57,000 and it only had $18,000 miles on it. It was very difficult to compare pricing on because of the low miles on an older unit. It was exactly what I wanted and although I put some money into it for a few minor additions and maintenance, it is a wonderful unit and have had no big issues with it. I put 12,000 miles on it last year. Yes, I felt I may have paid a few thousand more than it was technically worth but getting the right unit was worth it.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

What I paid

I paid 90k for a 2016 View last spring and have been very happy with it. All diesel (generator).

Good luck.

UOTE=Camping girl;3833333]Has anyone had success negotiating for a big price difference with dealerships Shopping for a 2016 View now Just missed out on 2 that were midway in the NADA price range for retail.

Most of the dealerships are asking as much as $12K more the retail range is 64 to 77 and I am seeing prices in the mid to high 80's from private parties Has anyone had decent wiggle room from one from a dealership asking for such high prices? Reluctant to go ebay and get someone's headache as we really want some type of warranty. Wish we never sold our first one, but it was the original one without a lower bed. Loved my view[/QUOTE]
Rodduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Have you looked at PPL Motorhomes?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #16
2016 View 24J Profile

Buying from a reputable dealer (just as with cars) is most important. We bought after looking for a couple years a 2016 24J profile w/2,500 miles from a reputable dealer 1200 miles away and still got it with a Mercedes warranty for under $89,000. Took it to a nearby Mercedes/Sprinter dealership for a complete checkout for a clean bill of health.
We love this RV and are glad we waited and shopped the whole country to find it.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, dealer, rust