Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exhaust Manifold Stud Replaement

Hello:

Has anyone out there preemptively changed the exhaust manifold studs and nuts on a Ford 5.4? I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie, with 8,000 miles on it and the Ford 5.4L engine. I know these exhaust manifold studs are a problem. I replaced the ones in my F250 with stainless steel ones. (It took me two weekends)

I was thinking rather than replacing them I would coat them with anti-seize so they won't rust as badly. Suggestions?

Thanks
Paul
pamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamante View Post
Hello:

Has anyone out there preemptively changed the exhaust manifold studs and nuts on a Ford 5.4? I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie, with 8,000 miles on it and the Ford 5.4L engine. I know these exhaust manifold studs are a problem. I replaced the ones in my F250 with stainless steel ones. (It took me two weekends)

I was thinking rather than replacing them I would coat them with anti-seize so they won't rust as badly. Suggestions?

Thanks
Paul
Try a compound called "Never-Seez." It comes in a small can, and possibly in stick form also. You merely apply a small amount to the threads of any stud, spark plug, etc., and it makes removal a snap. You might also want to check Youtube for tips. IIRC, I ran across one that had to do specifically with the type of bolts to be used, how to torque them, etc. but I didn't save the link. Another thought: find a forum that has to do with Fords and toss up your question to the forum members.

Regarding the rust, I use a small wire brush to remove rust, or soak them overnight in a liquid product called "CLR." It also removes calcium and lime. I'm not familiar with using stainless for head bolts; it depends on whether or not stainless bolts are prone to stretching when tightened. I am also not famiiar with how to prevent regular bolts from rusting, once they are installed.
Smitty550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks

I've used stainless stud and nuts on my F250. But the old steel ones broke while they were being removed - had to drill them out - that is what I am try to prevent.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You sure you have the right engine? I thought that E350 and E450 chassis used the Triton V-10. In either case, what you propose doesn't need to be done. Seriously, how often are you going to pull the heads.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

He was talking about the exhaust manifolds; I don't think the heads would be involved in removing and replacing exhaust manifolds, but maybe I'm wrong here. Maybe Fords have a different engine setup than I am used to seeing.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the responses. It is definitely the 5.4. You can tell as soon as you open the hood or stomp on the gas pedal. If you've ever had to replace broken exhaust manifold studs in the 5.4 or the V10s you would understand. Over time, the studs rust and break. I'm considering upgrading them before they break so I won't have to drill the old ones out. I was wondering if anyone else had done this and what, if any, issues they encountered.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I change the exhaust manifolds with banks torque tubes. I have the v10. The new manifolds came with bolts. Im not sure anti seize would prevent breakage. I worked 30 years as a Ford technician. If i went to the trouble to remove them I would for sure replace them. ARP studs would be a good choice.
passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Anti-seize compound is not meant to absolutely prevent breakage; it merely allows bolts to be removed more easily, which tends to help prevent breakage.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

studs

Right on Smitty, problem is these studs will break all on there own. you could look one day and one or more are missing after breaking and falling off. Metal fatigue?
passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote