Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ever Wonder What's Below Minnie Winnie Roof?

Great Vid. He does a killer job on roof replacements. He has many Vids of different RV's. It's a real eye opener...... not in a good way though
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Great Vid. He does a killer job on roof replacements. He has many Vids of different RV's. It's a real eye opener...... not in a good way though
Maybe Winnebago doesn't build em' like they used to, but ..... the exterior of the roof in that video is NOTHING LIKE the exterior of the roof on my 2005 Itasca Class C (an earlier discontinued Winnebago product line).

My Itasca's one piece fiberglass roof has rolled over sides (with the coach sidewalls tucked up into, and under, the rollover) and extends past the walls on the front and back ends with heavy boat-weight fiberglass caps so water can't enter vertically down into the walls there, either.

I couldn't tell from the video about that roof, but my Itasca's fiberglass roof is also nicely crowned for added strength for walking on and air conditioner support, plus provide for excellent water/snow runoff.

Wow - what a difference. For what it's worth, here's the brochure for our Itasca:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Spirit-bro.pdf
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The roof in the video is the same roof that is on the vast majority of Winnebago RV's. This roof system, when properly made, is very strong and durable.

This roof ONLY works because the fiberglass sheet is securely glued to the Styrofoam and the bottom side (what you see when looking at the ceiling when inside) is also securely glued to the Styrofoam.

No glue--No strength!!

The video plainly shows there was no glue between the fiberglass sheet and the Styrofoam.

Somebody messed up when they built the roof.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I must say he’s pretty thorough. I wonder how much that repair cost.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I must say he’s pretty thorough. I wonder how much that repair cost.
I would think maybe $10K ????
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
The roof in the video is the same roof that is on the vast majority of Winnebago RV's. This roof system, when properly made, is very strong and durable.

This roof ONLY works because the fiberglass sheet is securely glued to the Styrofoam and the bottom side (what you see when looking at the ceiling when inside) is also securely glued to the Styrofoam.

No glue--No strength!!

The video plainly shows there was no glue between the fiberglass sheet and the Styrofoam.

Well ... I believe that Winnebago also uses (at least when I bought ours in 2006) aluminum framing struts laterally all along within their Class C roofs that are also interlocked into the ends of the vertical aluminum framing members within the walls.

This is of course the main source of roof strength in their motorhome roofs. Interior cabinets and curtain tracks attached at the ceiling screw into these enclosed aluminum frame members.

Maybe all Class C motorhomes are built this way - and maybe not.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:

No glue--No strength!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Well ... I believe that Winnebago also uses (at least when I bought ours in 2006) aluminum framing struts laterally all along within their Class C roofs that are also interlocked into the ends of the vertical aluminum framing members within the walls.

This is of course the main source of roof strength in their motorhome roofs. Interior cabinets and curtain tracks attached at the ceiling screw into these enclosed aluminum frame members.

Maybe all Class C motorhomes are built this way - and maybe not.
I believe you are correct in that there are some lateral aluminum struts attached to the side framing.

I think it is amazing how light and strong the laminated Styrofoam and thin plywood is though. Usually when you walk on a Winnebago roof there is little to no sag or give, unlike a roof with 1/4" or 3/8" plywood and fiberglass batting of some RV's.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I believe you are correct in that there are some lateral aluminum struts attached to the side framing.

I think it is amazing how light and strong the laminated Styrofoam and thin plywood is though. Usually when you walk on a Winnebago roof there is little to no sag or give, unlike a roof with 1/4" or 3/8" plywood and fiberglass batting of some RV's.
Right you are on the strength of (at least some) Winnebago motorhome roofs!!

Our 2005 Itasca's roof does not "sink in" at all whenever I walk on it (~220 lbs.). But - just to be as easy as possible on it - I always move around on the roof on my hands and knees, so as to better distribute my weight.

So far it's been pretty amazing what our ~$53K purchase price got us when we bought our E450 chassis based Winnebago-built 2005 24V Class C, new, back in 2006 ... even considering that it was 2006 dollars.

But, our Class C had one serious flaw ... so maybe that's why we got a good deal on it after it had sat on the dealer's lot for a year ... it didn't have any slides (which is exactly what we wanted for maximum mechanical reliability and structural strength in both highway and off-highway use).
Old 10-27-2019, 12:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Maybe Winnebago doesn't build em' like they used to, but ..... the exterior of the roof in that video is NOTHING LIKE the exterior of the roof on my 2005 Itasca Class C (an earlier discontinued Winnebago product line).

My Itasca's one piece fiberglass roof has rolled over sides (with the coach sidewalls tucked up into, and under, the rollover) and extends past the walls on the front and back ends with heavy boat-weight fiberglass caps so water can't enter vertically down into the walls there, either.

I couldn't tell from the video about that roof, but my Itasca's fiberglass roof is also nicely crowned for added strength for walking on and air conditioner support, plus provide for excellent water/snow runoff.

Wow - what a difference. For what it's worth, here's the brochure for our Itasca:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Spirit-bro.pdf
X2 on Phil's post. The Minnie Winnie roof system nowadays is evidently a LOT different than older WBGO/Itasca Class C's. I can't help but wonder why they changed; i.e., why mess with a proven design ..... that works? Doubt that would it be a "bean counter" issue.

I realize the guy in the video is an expert in roof repairs, but the OEM sealant at all my roof penetrations looks like those he calls "more-on, moron"; they are almost 13 years old and none of them leak! I note that when he probes most of these with his modified concrete/mortar tool he meets resistance at about 1/4 inch ...... in my book that sealant is not compromised; there is another 3/4" (radially) of sealant solidly adhered to the fiberglass roof. My rig is almost as old as Phil's and it has never ever leaked. I touch up a couple of areas about 3" long at the front and rear end caps twice each year and that's it. Takes an hour working off a 10-ft step ladder.

Just FWIW, I am attaching a pic that shows the "rounded over" portion of the (older?) WBGO roof system that Phil described. It is a cross section that was used as a display in a dealer's showroom ...... back when they built all of them this way. (A click on the pic should enlarge it.) Easy to see the huge difference when compared to the '14 Minnie in the video. Hmmm. Maybe older really is better. lol

Good times and safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WGO Roof Section Annotated.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	172360  
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Oh.....and if you click the pic twice, you can see the roof fiberglass which is glued/bonded to the luan substrate as mentioned in post #3. The ceiling/headliner is also bonded to luan. The foam in the curved section is not glued; it just floats in the aluminum extrusions.

I plead ignorance as to what the whole "sandwich" looks like; e.g., what's that black area above the ceiling luan? Bet someone knows.

Best............. ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof