Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Engine’s “harmonic hum” - 2016 ViewJ

We purchased our 2016 ViewJ last year with 33,000 miles on it. When we test drove it before purchasing, I noticed a “humming” noise upon acceleration. The folks we purchased it from advised that that “hum” had been there when they bought it from the previous owner, it was probably the turbo kicking in, and they considered it normal. As this was our first RV and turbo diesel purchase, it seemed to make sense to us. The RV came with a transferable extended seven year warranty so we went ahead with the purchase. We only were able to get out on two long weekend trips with it last year.

We brought her in to a local MB dealer that services Sprinters recently to have the fuel filter changed and advised them about the “humming” sound, which seemed to be coming from under the floorboard area. Long story short, they felt it was coming from the transmission and, with only 10 days left on the original MB warranty - whew!, they received authorization from MB to replace the transmission, which they did.

Although the humming sound is definitely still there, it was a bit less pronounced. The Service Manager advised they would have a MB rep come out with some sound equipment to see if they could determine exactly where the noise was coming from. Here’s what the findings as noted on our service receipt:

“Mercedes Reps test drove with PICO Scope, Sprinter Rep said it is the same noise heard in L.I 35.00-N-061991. There’s a 3rd order vibration in engine determined by Rep, L, I states that frequency is a natural characteristic of the vehicle and parts replacement is ineffective. Noise more from Winebago more than regular Sprinter” (Which doesn’t seem to make sense when it previously notes about the 3rd order vibration in the engine).

So, question is, has anyone else encountered this unspecified “humming” noise? It’s actually both upon acceleration and with foot on gas pedal holding steady speed. It disappears when I left my foot off the gas pedal. Other than this low-grade humming noise, the RV runs great.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
We purchased our 2016 ViewJ last year with 33,000 miles on it. When we test drove it before purchasing, I noticed a “humming” noise upon acceleration. The folks we purchased it from advised that that “hum” had been there when they bought it from the previous owner, it was probably the turbo kicking in, and they considered it normal. As this was our first RV and turbo diesel purchase, it seemed to make sense to us. The RV came with a transferable extended seven year warranty so we went ahead with the purchase. We only were able to get out on two long weekend trips with it last year.

We brought her in to a local MB dealer that services Sprinters recently to have the fuel filter changed and advised them about the “humming” sound, which seemed to be coming from under the floorboard area. Long story short, they felt it was coming from the transmission and, with only 10 days left on the original MB warranty - whew!, they received authorization from MB to replace the transmission, which they did.

Although the humming sound is definitely still there, it was a bit less pronounced. The Service Manager advised they would have a MB rep come out with some sound equipment to see if they could determine exactly where the noise was coming from. Here’s what the findings as noted on our service receipt:

“Mercedes Reps test drove with PICO Scope, Sprinter Rep said it is the same noise heard in L.I 35.00-N-061991. There’s a 3rd order vibration in engine determined by Rep, L, I states that frequency is a natural characteristic of the vehicle and parts replacement is ineffective. Noise more from Winebago more than regular Sprinter” (Which doesn’t seem to make sense when it previously notes about the 3rd order vibration in the engine).

So, question is, has anyone else encountered this unspecified “humming” noise? It’s actually both upon acceleration and with foot on gas pedal holding steady speed. It disappears when I left my foot off the gas pedal. Other than this low-grade humming noise, the RV runs great.

Perhaps a minor natural and acceptable engine vibration is being amplified by the coach body mounted to the Mercedes chassis?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a new 2019, on a 2018 chassis. I have exactly the same hum . It appears to be throttle position and speed related. It sounds like it is coming from the exhaust system to me. Winnebago did alter the factory exhaust system, to vent it out the side instead of the rear.

Please let me know if you find anything further.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I also have a 16 J and really don't notice any hum at all. I do hear when the turbo kicks in, then again the entire unit isn't exactly quiet.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Drive/Propeller shaft out of balance, or u-joints flexing noise, perhaps?

I'm with Bobbo on this one. Haven't noticed any unusual humming noise, either cruising, or under load.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

To use an old Car Talk radio show suggestion: "Turn the radio up louder." I have a '17 on a '16 chassis and between road noise generated by the tires, slightly uneven road surfaces, etc. What hum?

I suggest you drive the heck out of it and when it finally breaks in 100,000 miles we will all know what the problem was, if any.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

FWIW..... that 'humming' is probably a totally normal and innocuous sound. Early on, our 14 View would make a 'moose call' at low speed, light to moderate throttle acceleration. Basically, the 5 speed transmission was/is designed to stay in a higher than expected gear and it doesn't quickly down shift as one would expect. So, it sort of hangs in the higher gear until the conditions are right in the several computer's collective minds to tell it to down shift. So you get a moaning sound which I believe is caused by the pressures in the transmission's hydraulic system.

As miles increase, it will go away.

If you 'hear' the turbo.... either you have extraordinary hearing or there is something broken. The only time we here the turbo is after a long drive as you are 'taxiing' through a parking lot or pulling up to a gas pump or in amp ground. Low throttle position, moving slowly you can hear a light whistle that changes in volume with the throttle position. Sort of like the sounds of the supercharged Daimler-Benz DB600series V12 aircraft engines that have a whistle sound above the exhaust note. Way cool actually. Let's Peeps know you are driving a class vehicle with a 'history'. (Next time you are out..... listen to the sound of a Ford/Dodge clattering away like a 1950s combine threshing wheat.....)

Seriously..... I'd not worry about the sound/vibration. If Mother's Boyz have checked it all out and found nothing.... it is just what it is. And it probably has several thousands of cousins that sound just like it.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your input. The noise is tolerable. My concern was whether is would lead to a more significant issue down the road. Time will tell. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

'17 Winnebago 31K Same problem

Quote:

Your last paragraph describes exactly the problem I have. I just picked this vehicle up from the dealer and am returning Monday to have them rectify. I've read in other posts that it could be the rear end pinion gears? failing. But, I will not accept any "oh yeah that's normal" answers. I know better.
Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Please update this post when you get some satisfactory answers. FYI, we’ve put in about 8,000 miles since my original post in this issue, including a trip out to CO, UT, AZ and back to NJ without any issues related to engine, transmission or exhaust systems. Humming still there at certain RPM ranges.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Will do. Thanks for posting originally.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Please update this post when you get some satisfactory answers. FYI, we’ve put in about 8,000 miles since my original post in this issue, including a trip out to CO, UT, AZ and back to NJ without any issues related to engine, transmission or exhaust systems. Humming still there at certain RPM ranges.
I was able to get in on Saturday and as I suspected, the tech at the dealer said the rear end was going out. Luckily it's under warranty. Just another example of an anomaly, "stuff happens". Not normal at this low mileage but it happens.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Hummmmmm

We bought a PleasureWay XLTD new in 2017. It was a MB Sprinter chassis and about 22 feet long. I complained about the hum for three years. What I learned from the PleasureWay factory was that the noise was "normal" in that
all of that model MB did the same thing. I was told the noise originated from the turbo, at several engine speeds and loads, and was notable because the turbo was large and sat on top of the engine right behind the dash.
A MB tech said that was one of the issues addressed with the new chassis in that the turbo was moved down below the intake and away from the driver's compartment. I now have a 2020 Winnebago View and the noise is completely gone from the new chassis. Congrats to MB for making vast improvements with the new model. I love my new View!
Well, except the rear view camera is only for backing up and won't stay on for driving forward. LOL ! I fooled them, I installed a second camera and monitor so I can keep an eye on toad going down the road.
peoriacab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine