Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Wink Driver and passenger swivel base in 2007 Aspect

Has anyone successfully changed their driver side seat base to swivel in 2007 or newer Ford E450? Have you found a base that allows clearance for the airbag control box underneath (3' height)

I did my homework (I thought) and ordered both the passenger and driver side swivel base for the Ford E450 (for my 2007 Winnebego Aspect).

I understood that it wasn't "recommended" that you install with airbags, due to safety concerns of people traveling with seats in swivel position. OBVIOUSLY doing so would be reckless. NOT MY INTENTION. I need additional comfortable seating when parked for long periods of time (days, not hours). I understand the driver side may not recline much when turned, but still believe there to be a benefit in making the cabin space more open and a basic place to park oneself or things.

I ordered from DiscountVanTruck (113630, 113631). Passenger arrived first - went in SUPER easy. Driver side was back ordered.

Received last week, went to swap out and discovered my airbag control box sits 3"off floor, new OEM swivel seat base sits 2.5" off floor. New swivel seat base doesn't clear the box.

Anyone else successfully make this change? I do not wish to do any harm or modifications to the airbag system.

I would like to make this work, but how? I want the integrity of the install to maintain safety while driving. Would a 3/4' spacer be safe? Has anyone had success finding the ford bolts for the rear seat base that are longer, which would allow for minimal spacers?

I love my 2007 Aspect, considered buying up and newer and came to the conclusion that this model was/is well built, has many amenities, gets around easily and is worth a little upgrade here and there. I don't want to change the seats - they are very comfortable.
CS.Aspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I see no reason you can't put a spacer in, just use some 1/2" X 1" tubing. One piece across the front and another across the back side. Good idea to weld a plate over the ends to stiffen it up as well.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the quick response. Can you tell me if the seat base bolts (stock Ford) have a unique thread pattern? Mine don't quite thread through at 12mm. They stall after about 4-5 turns, suggesting a unique pattern. Your thoughts, since you've been wrenching on trucks for years....
Old 06-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

You may be able to use washers on both the floor to base and base to seat. Might get you enough clearance.

2016 e450. Installed swivel bases on both. Added a couple of washers to front two bolts for comfort. Driver's side, I am raising seat with spacers/risers. Drivers side only gets 90 deg turn in the space, but it is enough to use for computing work. I am comfortable I am not compromising safety. For jeeps, you can buy risers from big name vendors, so their must lawyers approve...
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS.Aspect View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Can you tell me if the seat base bolts (stock Ford) have a unique thread pattern? Mine don't quite thread through at 12mm. They stall after about 4-5 turns, suggesting a unique pattern. Your thoughts, since you've been wrenching on trucks for years....
Maybe they are SAE threads. Gee I hate metric.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

In my 2014 30J, both cab seats (factory installed) will swivel with some shifting of the seat slides as you turn them, so it's kinda a PITA however, I learned that the passenger seat cannot remain in a swivel position facing the rear while traveling. When I tried to re-position the rig without swiveling the passenger side back,
an alarm similar if not same as the Jacks down alarm will sound. It will cease when you have turned the passenger seat back to the normal facing forward position.
Dago55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks - my rig has stationary seats, I've added aftermarket Ford compatible swivels. Driving in any position other than front and center/locked would be terribly unsafe. I have come up with a work around for the driver side that is in fact as secure and safe as the original if not more secure. I will post pictures when I install it this weekend.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Washers are the safest way to lift the seats in my opinion. And they don't take any room. I love what your doing and might try it for the wife's seat. Thanks for the idea.
RonE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver