Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dragging

We have a 2017 Fuse that drags at the back when driving through curb cuts that have a grade change. The skids under the frame have not protected the corners or the bottom of the back wall which has been significantly damaged. Has this happened to other Fuse owners? Does anyone have suggestions to remedy the problem?
MIFuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Ed & Lynn

Very common.....particularly with older models. winnebago made a moderate change in rear body clearance in the 2018.5 year model which helped a bit. Many Fuse owners have been proactive in dealing with this.....basically having the rear lifted a bit. Some have rear leaf spring added, some claim Sumo Springs helped, some just have lift blocks installed. In my 2018.0 Fuse I had 2" lift blocks installed on rear axle which increased rear clearance by 3". Have yet to drag rear in a year and a half. The Winnebago Fuse Owners Facebook group is loaded with info on this subject....
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
Very common.....particularly with older models. winnebago made a moderate change in rear body clearance in the 2018.5 year model which helped a bit. Many Fuse owners have been proactive in dealing with this.....basically having the rear lifted a bit. Some have rear leaf spring added, some claim Sumo Springs helped, some just have lift blocks installed. In my 2018.0 Fuse I had 2" lift blocks installed on rear axle which increased rear clearance by 3". Have yet to drag rear in a year and a half. The Winnebago Fuse Owners Facebook group is loaded with info on this subject....
Thanks!! I will investigate lift blocks and the other elevating ideas.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

While waiting to discover whether lift blocks are the way to go, you can use that old trick of taking any transitions at an angle. That should work in most situations.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Ed & Lynn

OP: you need to decide just how much clearance you want to gain at the rear then proceed from there. A reputable spring shop should be able to handle whatever way you decide to go. The 2017 Fuse most certainly would benefit from additional leaf spring.... both for clearance and ride quality. Many Fuse owners swear by Sumo springs which are really nothing more than glorified bump stops....probably can't give you the clearance you need. Air bags are a recent option, but quite expensive. My 2" lift blocks were installed at a reputable spring shop in Tucson AZ ....took two hours and cost $350. I see a potentially good spring shop in Saginaw MI ... www.truckspring.com . There should be others in major cities in your state.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the additional info. Your experience eliminating the scraping after installing the lift blocks says a lot. Did they cause any change in the ride or handling? I did enroll in the Fuse users group also. I will check with my local truck/RV shop.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
Ed & Lynn

My 2018.0 Fuse always rides like a dream. Did not come with any suspension problems and the addition of the two lift blocks did not change that. Only detectable change is that I have to level the front for the refrigerator slightly more often at some campsites. I believe the 2018 came with one more leaf spring than your 2017..... I have read many reports on the Winnebago Owners Fuse group from people who had additional leaf spring installed and were pleased with both a gain in rear height and improved ride quality. Additional info: my 2018.0 Fuse came with 12" clearance to that rear corner cap. I now have 15" clearance. At a recent Fuse rally I measured a couple 2017 T models that only had 10" clearance and they all had damage in that area!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Dragging

Got to be more careful!
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My driveway has a bit of a sharp rise for the first several feet from the curb and our Minnie Winnie's frame mounted tail skids drag significantly for about a foot as we pull in and out of the driveway, even when the rig is lightly loaded.

I've bought a couple heavy duty rollers to replace the skids but haven't been able to have them mounted yet. Tried a couple welding shops when we were in the Lower-48 but they said they couldn't do it due to insurance restrictions. One of them said they used to do such work but their insurance company stopped it after they set a car on fire!

There are a couple RV repair shops here in Anchorage that I'll try next spring when our rig is out of winter storage.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
Ed & Lynn

AKEagle, I wish you luck on that endeavor. Personally, I think lifting the rear a bit is a better way to go....and use a proper suspension spring shop - not an RV repair shop. As mentioned earlier, i took the cheap option - I had a spring shop install lift blocks on the rear axel....enough to raise the rear 3" which was exactly the amount I planned on. It cost me $350. in the Tucson AZ Spring shop I used, including the two hours labor.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
AKEagle, I wish you luck on that endeavor. Personally, I think lifting the rear a bit is a better way to go....and use a proper suspension spring shop - not an RV repair shop. As mentioned earlier, i took the cheap option - I had a spring shop install lift blocks on the rear axel....enough to raise the rear 3" which was exactly the amount I planned on. It cost me $350. in the Tucson AZ Spring shop I used, including the two hours labor.

Actually our particular issue may become moot since we're seriously considering moving to southern New Mexico where most of the terrain is flat as a table. Still, your advice is very good!
Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

If Winnebago has a safe engineered fix then it would probably be best to call them to see if it can be applied to your coach. They may surprise you and provide the kit at no charge and may even pay the labor if its considered a design defect.