Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are giving serious thought to downsizing from our 36G Meridian to a 30 foot Cambria on a Ford E450 Chassis with a 6.8 liter V10 Triton with 305 HP. We do need to tow a vehicle of about 3400#. Anyone have ideas of the ability of this engine to do this and function in the mountains.

Thanks for any help.

Dean Nelson
2004 Meridian 36G
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are giving serious thought to downsizing from our 36G Meridian to a 30 foot Cambria on a Ford E450 Chassis with a 6.8 liter V10 Triton with 305 HP. We do need to tow a vehicle of about 3400#. Anyone have ideas of the ability of this engine to do this and function in the mountains.

Thanks for any help.

Dean Nelson
2004 Meridian 36G
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dean - We're thinking of doing the same thing, except we're looking at the 26'. One thing to keep in mind, if you're downsizing to increase maneuverability, the Cambria won't turn as well as your Meridian. The wheelbase is almost as long as the Meridian and the Ford wheel cut is not nearly as sharp. The best info I've been able to get on the Ford wheel cut is about 35-36 degrees. This seems to be a closely guarded secret as opposed to the way wheel cut is openly discussed with the class A chassis.

The V10 probably won't go through the mountains like your Cat, but it should be very adequate. I had one in a previous class C and it was very capable. If it's important to you, be sure to check the CCC. A 30' class C with 2 slides is really pushing the 14050# GVWR. You might want to wait for the new 2008 Ford chassis. It has a restyled front end (not sure if I like it or not), suspension and steering changes. Don't know if it will improve the wheel cut situation, but I'm hoping it will. Also the GVWR is being increased to 14500#.

We bought our Journey with the intention of full-timing, but for various reasons, that's not going to happen. We feel like we've got way more than we need for short out-and-back type trips. We've also found we really enjoy the smaller state parks and a "shortie" would be much handier.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I went the opposite direction. 30' class c to a 36G Meridian. The V-10 will do the job but it works pretty hard to pull grades of any significance. I pull a Jeep Wrangler, so a bit lighter than 3,400#. The hitch is probably 3500# so the limit is very close.

My C had a CCC of about 1600# with no slides. Add two slides and you've lost over 1000# of CCC.

My gas mileage is at least as good on my Meridian as it was in the C. Much quieter and the ride of the DP are both points that will keep me where I'm at.

In the end, do what's right for you and your situation. Just trying to point out things you might not have thought of.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

All the downsize talk here and at the class C section at rv.net) really reminds me how happy we are with our 31' class A. It really is the best of both worlds, smaller in size, but big tanks (I've seen C's with 20 something gallon fresh water tanks!), good CCC, good storage, and so on.

30' to 32' Class A's are getting rarer, too bad in my opinion. But, if you're considering a 30' coach, I think they are worth searching for. The new Voyage 32H at 32'0 will be interesting to see...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We traded in our 26 ft Cambria for the 29R Sunova last year. Almost the same length, much more room inside and out. The biggest thing was the bed or the lack of one in the Cambria. A double bed in the corner just don't cut it anymore. Otherwise it is a great rig, no problems, lots of CCC and towed a 06 CRV too.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We looked at the Aspec, cousin to the Cambia.
We did not like the idea of have to make the sofa into a bed every night. Wife likes the curved dinette. We are looking for something in 28' to 30' size also. But with no cab over hang.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

My DW's parents have a 36' Class A with two long slides using that same engine, only with a 4-speed transmission. Their toad is a Chevy Malibu (3500 to 4000 pounds with the cargo they carry in it) and they are quite satisfied with how it does in the mountains. I would expect the smaller Cambria with a 5-speed transmission to do much better.

wife Beverly & 2 boys who love camping
NW Tim is offline   Reply With Quote