Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Disengage Side View Cameras

I have a 2015 Vista and was wondering if there was a simple way to disengage or reprogram the side view cameras so that I can only have the rear view backup camera on. I would like to be able to see my toad 100% of the time and still use turn signals without loosing the view of my toad when I am trying to merge or pass. My manuals are in storage with the RV and was checking to see if anyone knew and can tell me if there is a way to do this this before my next trip over to my Rig. Thanks

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Unplug the side camera leads from the back of the monitor
Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I think that will just give me no camera when I turn the turn signals on. I need to keep the the turn signals from cutting out the rear backup camera.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It Won't.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I don't want to be snarky but, the side view cameras are a safety feature. You should really, yes really, learn to how use them. Not just look at the picture but use them to tell when is is safe to change lanes.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

dkrobath, see drawing below. Remove the two center pins in this connector and tape them back. The module will be close to the radio. I did ours after the first trip thought about putting in a switch but have not missed it. Still like mirrors better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side camera disable.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	115937  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
Rkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I don't want to be snarky but, the side view cameras are a safety feature. You should really, yes really, learn to how use them. Not just look at the picture but use them to tell when is is safe to change lanes.

Selah, I find the side view cameras counter-intuitive, especially the left turn. When my mirrors are adjusted correctly, I can see as much area as the camera. Looking at the monitor makes me feel distracted, or "eyes off the road" feeling. Just can't get used to them. But I am no less safe than those that do use them.. Thanks.
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My last coach, a 40 footer had them. In my opinion they are dangerous. Besides that, at least once per trip I would panic with the blinkers on thinking I had lost the toad.

When I was at the factory, I asked a guy doing some work on my coach if he had complaints. He said he was clipping the wires on almost everybody's.

He reached under the dash, clipped 2 wires (maybe 4) and the rear camera worked all the time. I would never buy another coach with the side cameras working.

JMHO
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Interesting I have never paniced in over 52,000 towed miles I use the side camera all the time I consider it a safety feature
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I kind of agree, I prefer to use my mirrors, have been for many years. I find I spend too much time looking at the stupid monitor and not looking at other important things while changing lanes. Just more electronic gadgetry to get in the way of safety in my opinion. And to make things worse, when wearing my sun glasses I can not even see the screen so I have to remove them just to see.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I called Winnebago and the service guy confirmed that there is no setting to disengage the side cameras, you have to cut the wire, and he sent me the same diagram that was posted by grtharris. So I called an car audio and radio place that's close by and they said they can put in a switch to turn them on and off with out totally making them useless. Going to take it by there tomorrow and see what they can do.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I called Winnebago and the service guy confirmed that there is no setting to disengage the side cameras, you have to cut the wire, and he sent me the same diagram that was posted by grtharris. So I called an car audio and radio place that's close by and they said they can put in a switch to turn them on and off with out totally making them useless. Going to take it by there tomorrow and see what they can do.
DPST switch and it is a piece of cake. Just locate the trigger wire for each camera. Cut them and insert double pole single throw toggle. One of the better improvements for my coach.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I haven't yet done anything about it but I, too, feel it's counter-intuitive to look to the right when turning left. I'm hoping some company will develop a system that projects the image on part of the mirror. For example, the bottom half would continue to a mirror while the top half is a video image. It would really be cool if the the video could be panned and zoomed.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

A lot has to do with where the cameras are located. If they are mounted in the mirror housing they don't give you much advantage over just using the mirrors. If they are mounted to the side of the coach about belt line high they give you a much better look all the way down the side of the coach. I just wis mine had a separate monitor vs using the same monitor as the radio/gps.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

OK I got it handled today. I stopped into a car audio store today and had them install another monitor that is actually the size and shape of a car visor. The service tech installed it in less than 30 min and now I have a large 12x6 in monitor dedicated to the rear camera. He came off the rear video feed before the signal box so my existing screen does exactly what it has always done so I have side view with turn signals on without losing sight of the toad.
He had had an open box with the passenger side monitor sold out of it so they could watch dvd's and I got the drivers side one, got it all done for $110.00 A good day, and the color matches so the DW likes it too.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
OK I got it handled today. I stopped into a car audio store today and had them install another monitor that is actually the size and shape of a car visor. The service tech installed it in less than 30 min and now I have a large 12x6 in monitor dedicated to the rear camera. He came off the rear video feed before the signal box so my existing screen does exactly what it has always done so I have side view with turn signals on without losing sight of the toad.
He had had an open box with the passenger side monitor sold out of it so they could watch dvd's and I got the drivers side one, got it all done for $110.00 A good day, and the color matches so the DW likes it too.
Sounds interesting. Can you post a picture?
Brutusiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
I haven't yet done anything about it but I, too, feel it's counter-intuitive to look to the right when turning left. I'm hoping some company will develop a system that projects the image on part of the mirror. For example, the bottom half would continue to a mirror while the top half is a video image. It would really be cool if the the video could be panned and zoomed.
I don't have side cameras, but I like your idea. Or maybe a heads-up display on the windshield glass when activating the turn-signals. All of it though, doesn't completly replace taking a good look in the mirrors. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Any pictures of the installation? This is what I want to do as well. the location of the radio which serves as the rear camera is poor at best. Really wanting to change the setup for better ergonomics.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

If you don't like your side view cameras. just cover the lenses with duct tape. No wires to cut---no switches to install! Want them back on---just pull the tape off.
Eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2 View Post
If you don't like your side view cameras. just cover the lenses with duct tape. No wires to cut---no switches to install! Want them back on---just pull the tape off.
Good idea except for the fact that when you use your turn signals you will see a black screen. I personally just use the mirrors and don't even bother with the gadgets.

Tags
camera