Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cabover window replacement !

In Orange City, Florida. Looking for cabover window replacement. Apparently, on road today cabover window was shattered. Of course it's pouring rain now, but looking for RV place to get replacement ? Tried most glass places that advertise rv glass replacement, but all are windshields only not cabin windows. Going to try La Mesa in the am. Any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
In Orange City, Florida. Looking for cabover window replacement. Apparently, on road today cabover window was shattered. Of course it's pouring rain now, but looking for RV place to get replacement ? Tried most glass places that advertise rv glass replacement, but all are windshields only not cabin windows. Going to try La Mesa in the am. Any other suggestions appreciated.
Ours was shattered several years ago by a flying rock from an approaching truckl in the oncoming lane. Small pieces of glass were everywhere inside the cab - including all over myself and my wife who were riding there. Why Winnebago didn't/doesn't use safety glass up there is beyond me.

It took three (3) attempts to get that window replaced properly by two different local repair shops such that it didn't leak. What a nightmare.

It's important that a repair facility NOT MERELY REPLACE THE GLASS. A complete new glass and frame assembly - ordered from Winnebago - needs to be installed carefully and properly - with the installation workers doing the outside install work while being up on a scaffold. The installers also need to do interior work with the frame in the inside cabover area.

The BEST WAY, in my opinion, to have it replaced is by the Winnebago factory. They should be the experts at properly doing this. Other RV repair facilities are not really good at this difficult replacement project. Properly sealing an RV's forward facing window that must stay sealed year after year when traveling down the road at speed in rainstorms is no easy task. The flexible wall of an RV's overhead cab structure is NOT the same as the rigid metal surfaces where vehicle windshields are installed.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Cab over window

Phil G., Thanks for your reply. I’ve had to remove frame and had a piece of lexan put in. Now have to reinstall. I can’t wait for Winnebago to pull new window, ship and then get rev shop to install as it may take up to six weeks. So hoping this will work as having window open is not an option. I’ll keep you posted on the way it turns out.

Thanks for reply,

JAY
Old 10-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
Phil G., Thanks for your reply. I’ve had to remove frame and had a piece of lexan put in. Now have to reinstall. I can’t wait for Winnebago to pull new window, ship and then get rev shop to install as it may take up to six weeks. So hoping this will work as having window open is not an option. I’ll keep you posted on the way it turns out.

Thanks for reply,

JAY
I forgot to mention that I just recently had our overhead cab window coated with a clear protective material ... to hopefully prevent breakage from ever happening again.

Your approach of not using glass is excellent! Keep us posted on how it goes.

(I hope Winnebago is reading this and switches to use of shatter-proof safety glass up there in their future new motorhomes.)
Old 10-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

New lexan window just installed before "Florida Sunshine" came.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wPRw3asQY2FjxJij7
Old 10-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Wow, that looks great.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I forgot to mention that I just recently had our overhead cab window coated with a clear protective material ... to hopefully prevent breakage from ever happening again.

Your approach of not using glass is excellent! Keep us posted on how it goes.

(I hope Winnebago is reading this and switches to use of shatter-proof safety glass up there in their future new motorhomes.)
Hi, what kind (brand) of protective coating did you get? Looking at new Class C's with the front bunk window and would have this done right off to protect the original window.
This is inetersting to learn about.
I know any window can be broken, saw inmates break "bullet proof glass" by hitting it in the "sweet spot" But anything that can be done to protect that window would be great.
I'm surprised they don't have to use safety glass as it's in a forward facing space on a motor vehicle.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE: Cab over window replacement Class C

Thanks for all responses and interests. Instead of replacing the original safety glass I used lexan. NOT plexiglas! So far all is well, in Florida now will know more when we get back on the road in the spring. Clear lexan was used, now I’m looking for something to shade as most glass products are not recommended for lexan. I know there must be something out there for shading.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We have a couple shops in town that does custom tinting of windows. Maybe checking with a shop that does this near you might provide a answer. Possibly check with a manufacturer of lexan to see if they would recommend? Nobody knows their product better than they do......hopfully
Please keep us posted......good thread!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Hi, what kind (brand) of protective coating did you get? Looking at new Class C's with the front bunk window and would have this done right off to protect the original window.
This is inetersting to learn about.
I know any window can be broken, saw inmates break "bullet proof glass" by hitting it in the "sweet spot" But anything that can be done to protect that window would be great.
I'm surprised they don't have to use safety glass as it's in a forward facing space on a motor vehicle.
I don't know what the guy used - I had him install it when I wasn't around while our Class C was at the dealer for normal servicing. What the material was is the same material that the guy coats the frontal areas of vehicles with to prevent rock damage, which I guess is becoming a very popular thing for new car owners to do.

He had never done it to a window for protection before, so it was kindof a "let's try it in this application" on his part and my part. Another approach I could have pursued was having a cabover window made out of the same material that is used for racing car front windshields instead of safety glass.

The normal glass type that Winnebago uses up there is tempered glass - not safety glass. I think that tempered glass is stronger than safety glass, but when tempered glass does break tiny shards scatter everywhere ... as it did in the interior of our Class C's cab WHILE WE WERE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD!

I think that the normal sandwitch design of safety glass would at least have held the glass pieces together when broken by an oncoming rock.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, window