Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Skywaterbanjo

Buying from Lichtsinn

After researching ad naseum the latest C class on Sprinters, we've settled on a 2020 View 24D. We are trading in a 2009 Fleetwood Icon 24D with 22,000 miles. I'm tired of the corner bed and really like the Murphy bed.

My SO and I just spent 1.5 days in Forest City visiting Lichtsinn. Overall, I was impressed with their knowledge of WBGO products and the View in particular. We are getting ready to place our order as follows:

2020 Full chassis
Graphics (not full body paint)
HWH levelers
additional 170 watt solar panel
removal of stabilizer jacks

The one item I'm not sure of is the 'protection' package Lichtsinn offers. The salesman told us it is basically a wax on steriods job that adds an additional layer of durability to the paint/graphics.

Question: have any of you purchased from Lichtsinn and did you have this done? Do you notice any difference?

What should I be asking for as 'throw ins?'

Thanks in advance. We're excited about the new coach.
skywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi skywater, I just ordered a 2020 View 24D from Lichtsinn and they asked me if I wanted the 'protection plan'. I googled paint protection plans that dealers offer and most folks said it was an over priced wax job so I passed on it. I will be interested to see what replies that you get.

I am having them remove the standard two 100 watt flexible solar panels and am having them add four 115 watt rigid panels because the warranty is 25 years and the output is a bit higher at 460 watts for the four panels. They are also installing a battery monitor that shows the state of charge that many people on this forum have said is good to have and also a built in surge protector.

So far I have been very happy with the Lichtsinn people. Bryan their service manager has given me good information on items to help me decide what to have them add as options.

Good luck to you!
Lou D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I know it's expensive, but I would highly recommend getting the full body paint over the graphics and wax job (or not?). I got fbp, and it's been flawless - we spent the extra and are so far glad we did. After a good rain, it looks as shiny and clean as the day we brought it home. The nose is easier to clean wherever it's painted, too.
You're spending a huge whack of cash on the chassis and coach. Why not spend the small percentage extra, and get the best overall option outside, too.
Plus, you do read your share of "how do I fix the peeling decals" or "my exterior walls are looking chalky" or worse on these forums.

I'm impressed with the HWH levelers non-factory add on. Been thinking about adding the Bigfoot levelers to mine one of these days. You will have to delete the factory stabilizers to help preserve the limited OCCC, so get those two done together for sure.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
2018 24 View

Back in 2018 when we bought our 24V I thought the wax was a good idea, but I am not completely happy. Still finding dried wax residue and believe it caused the trim around the tail lights to discolor
nlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I know it's expensive, but GET THE FULL BODY PAINT.
You won't regret it.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Skywaterbanjo

We thought long and hard about the FBP and decided against it. Decal peeling is an issue when the coach is stored outdoors. We have a garage where we store it. We looked at several 10+ year old coaches with graphics and they didn't have any decal issues.

I also researched resale values and FBP doesn't add very much (maybe a couple of hundred dollars. We might revisit it.

I'll look into the swapping of solar panels, surge protector - thanks.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The FBP has a dealer cost of about $5,600. I'm recently retired and plan on using the coach a lot which means having the coach outdoors, so for me the FBP was an easy decision. I think the 2020, 24D is absolutely beautiful and I want it to look that way for a long time.

Depending on how much dry camping you plan on doing the Li-Ion batteries are a great option with a dealer cost of about $3,670. We plan on staying at State and National parks as much as possible and compared to the 2019 with group 24 flooded lead batteries the new group 31 batteries with the Li-Ion upgrade provides about 2.5 the usable power, which is significant.

Another item you might consider is a tire pressure monitor system and if you do that you might as well get nitrogen in the tires.

I know, where do you stop!!!

Enjoy your new rig skywater, whatever options you add!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Dealer addons to a sale are always a huge money maker for the dealer and not worth the cost for the buyer. Regardless of the purchase or the dealer I personally don’t think this is something to even consider.

About the cost of FBP, it does effect resale at any point down the road.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Paint is really nice, I didn't get it on mine with a 10K price tag.

Seems the high price for these new micro coatings, they may be good but highly priced. I can get my View washed and waxed in south Texas for between 60-80 bucks, other places it's $10 per foot. Still even if you get the coating you will need to wash your rig. You can purchase a lifetime of wash/wax and rejex for the price of the coating and have plenty to pay someone to do the work. If you're really into doing work yourself you can purchase and apply the same type of coating yourself.

I chose to put extra $ into a diesel gen, max air fan, alcoa rims, tankless water heater, HWH levelers, solar -for me it all turned out to be great decision. I'm still up in the air over not taking the plastic insulated windows, I think they may have been worth having.

I did upgrade my solar and my batteries and Michelin tires after 2yrs. Other things you might want to consider: TPMS, water softner.

good luck & btw Lichtsinn has some great people working there!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We bought our 24D from Lichtsinn in 2018 and couldn't be happier. They are outstanding to deal with and we always got honest informed guidance / service. They do what they say and stand behind their word! IMHO they're the best place to buy a Winnebago.

As for the options you are considering, I did the same mental gymnastics with the same options. After much research with this group AND some honest guidance from Ron Lichtsinn, (who was our salesperson), I did not go with the protective package, the additional solar or the HWH levelers. After 2 years of use, over 22,000 miles and 162 nights, I do not regret any of our decisions. The HWH levelers, while very convenient, are a very BIG weight add on. You have limited cargo carrying capacity on the Sprinter chassis and for the additional 5 minutes, we don't mind using the yellow lego blocks. As for the solar, Ron recommended we try the unit and then decide if we needed more solar based on our dry camping experience. Here's what I found... REPLACE the batteries before you do any more solar!! I use a CPAP and the OEM batteries could not run the CPAP and the fridge through the night. Doesn't matter how much solar you have if the batteries can't store it while you sleep. I've upgraded to lithium with the existing solar and have had no problems.
As for the protective package, a waste of money. We didn't go with the FBP but I wish we had. The stock paint is of poor quality and chips very easily with bugs.... Ironic because we love the look of the stock paint work but this is truly our only disappointment.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #11
Skywaterbanjo

First of all, thanks to all of you for the great feedback.

Based on your input, hours of more research, and other feedback, we have modified our order as follows:

2020 View 24D
Full chassis
Full body paint
No additional solar at this time
HWH levelers, remove stab jacks
Maxxair fan in bathroom
TPMS
no protection package

The unit will arrive at Lichtsinn's in January. We won't pick it up until spring.

We are going to use the unit next summer. We have a trip planned to the Boundary Waters next summer and, if we need something changed out, we'll stop at Lichtsinn's on the way. Specifically, the additional solar panel and/or Li batteries. I want to see how the new group 31 batteries perform before we invest more. We typically only dry camp for a max of 5-6 nights. Running the generator or engine to recharge is the option right now.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24D
Old 10-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Maxxfan

Hi Mark,

Great to hear that you are going with the full body paint...it will be a rig that you will be proud of for a long time!

We are taking delivery of our 2020, 24D at the beginning of Nov. This is my first motorhome and I was just wondering if I should have Lichtsinn install a Maxxiar fan like you are getting. Curious to know what made you decide to get the upgraded fan?

Thank you for your input,
Lou
Old 10-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Skywaterbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou D View Post
Hi Mark,

Great to hear that you are going with the full body paint...it will be a rig that you will be proud of for a long time!

We are taking delivery of our 2020, 24D at the beginning of Nov. This is my first motorhome and I was just wondering if I should have Lichtsinn install a Maxxiar fan like you are getting. Curious to know what made you decide to get the upgraded fan?

Thank you for your input,
Lou
We live in Colorado and very rarely use the A/C. I am installing the other fan to maximize airflow thru the coach. Seems worth it for the relatively low $. ($485).

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24D
Old 10-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I got a price of $709.20 for the Maxxfan Deluxe vent with the smoke colored lid with built-in rain shield and remote, installed. Is that the same as the one you are getting? The unit on amazon runs about $300. $400 seems a bit high for the install. Maybe I should check with CW.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #15
Skywaterbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou D View Post
I got a price of $709.20 for the Maxxfan Deluxe vent with the smoke colored lid with built-in rain shield and remote, installed. Is that the same as the one you are getting? The unit on amazon runs about $300. $400 seems a bit high for the install. Maybe I should check with CW.
I think the unit with the remote is the next level up. We are getting the middle of the road fan.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24D
Old 10-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We bought from Lichtsin. We did not get the protection package.

We kept the rig 23 mos., put 37K miles on the 24V

Sold it , because that was our plan, we checked all the boxes in our travel plan

Our regrets: We had serious "camping withdrawal" , solved by buying a travel trailer, that we use regularly. AND,, the fact that we live in FLA, too far to avail ourselves of the Lichtsin Service.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I think you'll be glad with the full body paint. I've had it both ways (decal and FBP) and the FBP is far superior in appearance and care.
I am also glad to hear kudos given to Lichtsinn dealership. I purchased my present rig (which we still love) a year ago from a large dealer in Tampa and was very dissatisfied with their inept business office which ended up costing me an extra $700!
You are smart to do this research before finalizing your purchase. In retrospect, I might have made the trip to Iowa.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywater View Post
I think the unit with the remote is the next level up. We are getting the middle of the road fan.
Anything you can add that increases airflow, especially drawing out moisture or damp air from the bathroom, is a good idea. I've got the little one speed that came with mine and it does help keep things drier inside. Shower time creates damp which can help create mold, and we don't want that.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We bought from Lichtsinn and bought the paint protection and would certainly do it again. Local places charge $10>$15 a foot to wax an RV. After 4 years the paint looks new and the protection has more than paid for itself.

Every-time I wash the rig I am so glad I did it. Don't even have to dry it off and dries spot free.
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We bought from Lichstinn and purchased the paint protection, too. We would do it again. As bobcat66 said above, every time we wash the motorhome, it dries spot free. We are happy we bought it.

And we're very happy with Lichstinn, as well. (Even though you didn't ask that!)
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote