Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

We didn't buy from Lichtsinn -- and was not offered a plan like this from the place we bought it, so couldn't speak to whether this is a good idea. The full body paint was, for sure, worth the price. We have it waxed once a year (price range of $150-200), and it stays shiny and as good as new.
BigVRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:54 AM   #22
Micro Minnie 1800BH

full body paint

FBP is a maintenance advantage.
My previous two MH’s did not have it and I swore this one would have FBP.
I can pick it up from the storage and it looks clean. I wash it once in a while. No waxing or polishing for the two years I’ve owned my 17VJ.
If you hate washing and waxing it’s well worth the investment.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou D View Post
The FBP has a dealer cost of about $5,600. I'm recently retired and plan on using the coach a lot which means having the coach outdoors, so for me the FBP was an easy decision. I think the 2020, 24D is absolutely beautiful and I want it to look that way for a long time.

Depending on how much dry camping you plan on doing the Li-Ion batteries are a great option with a dealer cost of about $3,670. We plan on staying at State and National parks as much as possible and compared to the 2019 with group 24 flooded lead batteries the new group 31 batteries with the Li-Ion upgrade provides about 2.5 the usable power, which is significant.

Another item you might consider is a tire pressure monitor system and if you do that you might as well get nitrogen in the tires.

I know, where do you stop!!!

Enjoy your new rig skywater, whatever options you add!
Forget the nitrogen air for the tires. Air from the tire pump at your local gas station is already 78.09% Sounds like a good thing but you're already getting it for free
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I bought from Lichtenstein 10 years ago...they didn't offer BS like the paint scam back then. My bus still looks new.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Happy with Lichtsinn ... issues with Winnebago QC

We bought a View 24D from Lichtsinn and it was a wonderful experience. Very happy with the protection package .. makes cleaning a snap! It's an amazing vehicle, but I'm very disappointed with the QC of Winnebago. I'm quite handy and enjoy working on vehicles/boats (and this is a complex vehicle) but ... there's a number of things that *should* have been caught in QC that I've had to get fixed or fix myself:
  • The backup camera died after 1,500 miles. It was finally fixed under warranty after 4 trips to a local Winnebago dealership. The camera was replaced. That didn't work and the cable from the camera to the core unit was replaced.
  • The master propane switch was installed upside down by Winnebago. It worked during our orientation, but not again. After 3 hours with Lichtsinn tech support and a voltage meter in all fuse boxes and under the vehicle, I had to drive back to Lichtsinn (5 hours and an overnight) only to have the problem solved in 15 minutes and drive 5 hours back home.
  • The screen door was not adjusted so that it could be closed without closing the main coach door. This took several adjustments to allow the screen door to close without closing the main coach door.
  • The screens in the coach door rattled so badly that all screens had to be caulked or taped with foam tape.
  • The cargo door latch catches were installed with such force on the screws that it stripped through the plastic and they were no longer 90-degrees to the latch and they popped open when hitting any bump on the road. I have had to add stainless washers and remount each one. (Waiting on warranty replacements from Winnebago).
  • The toilet seat broke (neither of us weigh over 200!) and I had to replace the plastic hinge pins with aluminum pins.
  • The coach door latch disengaged and I had to disassemble the mechanism to reinsert the pin and use cable ties to make sure that it didn't disengage again.
  • The tank heater pad adhesive gave way and it looked like a third mud flap. This was fixed under warranty.
  • The screw holes were stripped for latch catches in the galley drawers and the catches pulled out of the drawers. I had to insert wood toothpicks and Gorilla glue into the holes, cut it flush, and then mount the catches again with the screws.
  • Annoyance: the weight for the sink faucet hose bangs against the cabinets while going slow over a bumpy road or around curves. Fix: wrap with a thick layer of adhesive rubber weatherstripping and affix with a cable tie.

These are all small things that should have been addressed in Winnebago Quality Control (and/or caught by Lichtsinn).

In general, we love Lichtsinn ... and love the View 24D even more! But, Winnebago needs to step up their game!

Peter & Kim
peter.leabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I as a possible future buyer from Lichtsinn's am VERY impressed with their educational and informative videos on RV's and accessories.
QUESTION:
Disabled former LEO on a small budget for a new RV the price is a major concern. Lichtsinn's shows the big "scary MSRP price" then a cash/trade amount, then a loan amount. Am I correct in thinking that the "loan amount" is the actual price it can be bought for cash? I have noticed other dealers have their realistic bottom purchase price at Lichtsinn's "loan amount"

The View and the Minnie Winnie Class C are both contenders for when the wife finally retires and we can put our 401K's to fun use. The kids already told us not to worry about leaving them anything so I don't want to disappoint them
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #27
Skywaterbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I as a possible future buyer from Lichtsinn's am VERY impressed with their educational and informative videos on RV's and accessories.
QUESTION:
Disabled former LEO on a small budget for a new RV the price is a major concern. Lichtsinn's shows the big "scary MSRP price" then a cash/trade amount, then a loan amount. Am I correct in thinking that the "loan amount" is the actual price it can be bought for cash? I have noticed other dealers have their realistic bottom purchase price at Lichtsinn's "loan amount"

The View and the Minnie Winnie Class C are both contenders for when the wife finally retires and we can put our 401K's to fun use. The kids already told us not to worry about leaving them anything so I don't want to disappoint them
Based on my recent experience, the loan amount is probably close to, but not exact, what you can purchase the coach for.

I'm really impressed with Lichtsinn so far. Of course, we just ordered our unit so we'll see how the order progresses and the delivery process next spring.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24D
skywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

We purchased a 2019 View V from La Mesa RV in San Diego California in March of this year.

We negotiated a price that was 32% off list that included the Full Body Paint. Glad we did.

We were offered the Protection Package at an initial cost of $2300. By the time we finished negotiating I agreed to the coating at a cost of $1600. I probably could have extracted another $300-400 or so on the Protection Package but I was also negotiating my loan rate and Trailer trade-in in the same conversation.

Point being, there is a huge amount of profit in the Protection Package.

And so far, I agree with all the other posts. The paint dries well and the sheen is nearly like drive-off day new.
jtronowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.leabo View Post
...We bought a View 24D from Lichtsinn..... but ... there's a number of things that *should* have been caught in QC that I've had to get fixed or fix myself.....
Peter & Kim

Dang. That's really too bad.

We are also thinking of trading our '09 Fleetwood Icon for a 2020D....but, now I'm not quite sure. At least everything works perfect in ours....well, so far....touching wood.
winniethepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #30
Skywaterbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepoo View Post
Dang. That's really too bad.

We are also thinking of trading our '09 Fleetwood Icon for a 2020D....but, now I'm not quite sure. At least everything works perfect in ours....well, so far....touching wood.
I just drove my '09 Fleetwood Icon D to Lichtsinn. I am trading it in on a 20 VD. There are so many improvements.

One thing that really caught me by surprise is the sticker in the pantry cabinet. With water and 2 people, OCCC is only 290 lbs. We've been using this camper for 10 years and never knew that. I'm sure we were WAY over that but never had any issues. The Icons are very well built RVs.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24D
skywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywater View Post
I just drove my '09 Fleetwood Icon D to Lichtsinn. I am trading it in on a 20 VD. There are so many improvements.

One thing that really caught me by surprise is the sticker in the pantry cabinet. With water and 2 people, OCCC is only 290 lbs. We've been using this camper for 10 years and never knew that. I'm sure we were WAY over that but never had any issues. The Icons are very well built RVs.
I'm pretty sure that we are on-the-brink of OCCC as well.

Having said that, our Sprinter has absolutely no problems climbing the steepest grades or descending. The brakes are fabulous.

I change the oil/filter and fuel filter religiously and now (from personal experience $$$$) clean the EGR valve with every oil change as well.

Gotta say, all-in-all, I Luv the Sprinters.

P.S. Regarding the improvements on the new 2020 chassis and Winnebago's new, super shell bunk & new coach door : Can anyone with a decibel meter (owning a new 2020 View) measure the interior noise level at 55mph ?
winniethepoo is offline   Reply With Quote