Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My wife and I are considering downsizing into a 22R model. Cant seem to find posts from Spirit owners. Anybody have one? Positives? Negatives? Stuff to watch out for? Aftermarket stuff to add at the beginning?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Spirit owner here

We just purchased a 2010 itasca Spirit 29FB sept 2013 so were in the same boat and new ourselves. I haven't seen any others on this site so far but you never know. Nice to see someone else with a Spirit.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2014 31K Spirit. Can't help you with the 22R, but my wife and I are satisfied with our MH. Ours came with a few design issues which have been straightened out. Overall quality is very good .
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

05 I Spirit

Bought recently. Well taken care of and 30K on odo. Like it a lot. Came with most of previous owners stuff that wasn't going to be needed any longer. Saved $$$ on a lot of good stuff.
It's a 29B
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I have a 2014 31K Spirit. Can't help you with the 22R, but my wife and I are satisfied with our MH. Ours came with a few design issues which have been straightened out. Overall quality is very good .
What type of design issues, I'm curious!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
What type of design issues, I'm curious!
The first problem was with the black and gray water tanks drain lines. They drained a good distance behind the rear axle and less than 6" off the ground. I never bothered even mentioning it to Itasca, although I did tell my dealer when I bought it that the drain was way too low. My son redesigned/rerouted the lines, moving them closer to the axle and gained about 4" of ground clearance. I saw an identical unit a few months after I bought mine and that issue had been addressed, although not as well as what my son did.
A bigger problem was the floor. We noticed after having the unit a few months that the floor was sagging. It turns out that there was a 6' area in the living area with no supports between the frame rails.
I just had that problem fixed a week ago when Itasca gave me the OK to go to a local metal fabrication shop (instead of having to go through the dealer) where they put two cross braces in that area and installed 2 additional cross braces farther forward where they thought there was another gap that could lead to a problem.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

The first problem was with the black and gray water tanks drain lines. They drained a good distance behind the rear axle and less than 6" off the ground. I never bothered even mentioning it to Itasca, although I did tell my dealer when I bought it that the drain was way too low. My son redesigned/rerouted the lines, moving them closer to the axle and gained about 4" of ground clearance. I saw an identical unit a few months after I bought mine and that issue had been addressed, although not as well as what my son did.
A bigger problem was the floor. We noticed after having the unit a few months that the floor was sagging. It turns out that there was a 6' area in the living area with no supports between the frame rails.
I just had that problem fixed a week ago when Itasca gave me the OK to go to a local metal fabrication shop (instead of having to go through the dealer) where they put two cross braces in that area and installed 2 additional cross braces farther forward where they thought there was another gap that could lead to a problem.
Sounds good. Did they fix the floor under warranty? If so, were they easy to work with?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
Sounds good. Did they fix the floor under warranty? If so, were they easy to work with?
Yes it was covered by warranty. After first being told I had to go through my (or any) dealer, they eventually let me bring it to a local metal fabrication shop. My dealer was located an hour away when I bought my unit, but has since moved, and is now more than two hours away. Due to the distance and my reluctance to have that dealer work on the MH they relented.
It probably worked out better financially for them anyway. Two guys started on the MH at 7:10 in the morning and I was done and gone from their shop at 8:45AM. In that time two guys measured and fabricated 4 pieces of 11 gauge steel channel with brackets on each end, with each bracket end having 5 screws which they screwed into the main chassis frame rails. All that for $285.00 which I paid, and Itasca will reimburse me.
(At least that's what they told me).

Old 03-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
All that for $285.00 which I paid, and Itasca will reimburse me.
(At least that's what they told me).
My fingers are crossed for you!