Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

7 blade trailer light socket

I have a 2014 Winnebago View on a 2013 Sprinter chassis. I use a Curt hitch mounted cargo rack, mainly for hauling firewood. I try to load the rack so I’m not blocking my tail lights but sometimes the lights are obscured. Curt sells a LED auxiliary light system which are essentially tail lights for the rack. Problem solved, or so I thought! The aux light system has a 4 pin plug so I bought a 7 blade to 4 pin adapter to plug into my RV’s 7 blade socket. When I turn on the running lights the aux lights flash rapidly and continually (the RV lights function normally). A rep at Curt thinks that the 7 blade socket on my View is ‘non-standard’. Does this sound bogus or legit?

Thanks!
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since it is fairly common for RV owners to mod the coach, it is quite possible to get a used unit which is not wired as normal. I would duck under and do some testing on the 7 pin wiring to see if it matches what it should have. The connectors do have a mostly "standard" layout and can be tested pretty quick and easy with a meter.
But keep in mind that there are also lots of sales folks who first blame everything but what they sell!
So keep an open mind on which is the problem.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I noticed the same problem on my 2014 Navion when I tried to tap into the running lights with a LED. The cause may be the Sprinter thinks you have a lamp out.
below info is from the Etrailer.com site

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

If you have a vehicle with a factory tow package that has a lamp-out sensor and you tow a trailer that has LED lights on it, then you've likely experienced hyperflashing and/or false computer errors. Because LEDs pull such a small amount of power, certain sensors are unable to detect them. The result is a warning in your vehicle that continuously tells you that the trailer lights are not functioning. In addition, the lights on your trailer may not illuminate properly because of your vehicle's inability to recognize LED lights. This can lead to either hyperflashing lights on the trailer or lights that will not illuminate at all.

This adapter will bypass your vehicle's lamp-out sensor so that you can tow a trailer with LED lights. It will prevent your vehicle's computer from sensing that a trailer light is burned out which is normally how it would read the LED lights on the trailer.
RVwithDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
I noticed the same problem on my 2014 Navion when I tried to tap into the running lights with a LED. The cause may be the Sprinter thinks you have a lamp out.
below info is from the Etrailer.com site

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

If you have a vehicle with a factory tow package that has a lamp-out sensor and you tow a trailer that has LED lights on it, then you've likely experienced hyperflashing and/or false computer errors. Because LEDs pull such a small amount of power, certain sensors are unable to detect them. The result is a warning in your vehicle that continuously tells you that the trailer lights are not functioning. In addition, the lights on your trailer may not illuminate properly because of your vehicle's inability to recognize LED lights. This can lead to either hyperflashing lights on the trailer or lights that will not illuminate at all.

This adapter will bypass your vehicle's lamp-out sensor so that you can tow a trailer with LED lights. It will prevent your vehicle's computer from sensing that a trailer light is burned out which is normally how it would read the LED lights on the trailer.
This is good thinking as it is true that changing out older lights on cars and replacing them with LED can give this problem and they have LED with bypass resisters built in to burn extra current to fake out the warning lights.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

This did the trick. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the advice!
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light