Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2020 Winnebago View-Lichtsinn RV

Hello all,

New to the forum. I'm looking into purchasing a 2020 Winnebago View from Lichtsinn RV. I'm confused on their advertised price on their website showing the cash/trade discount. I don't see much data out there yet on what a reasonable price for these are. Can anyone provide any info? This will be a cash sale so no trades or financing factored in. Thanks in advance.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Which model? Makes a difference in some cases. Also, with the 2020 models, Winnebago has added a lot of former options as standard equipment, and the chassis is a full blown MB VS30 functional cab chassis, supposedly with all the MB "toys" included.
Why not send them a note, or call and ask them about their "rock bottom, no dicker, cash and carry, out the door" price?
Worst that can happen is, they say it's the price on the website, and you move on to the next dealer. Or, you pay the piper and deal with them.
That's how it works, usually.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm looking at the 24D with fully body paint. I have talked to a salesman and not really getting much consistent answers.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

OK, are you buying off the lot, or are you going to customize and order one built to your specs?
If it's the former, you might be able to get some discount, but that's up to them. Your choice on whether to proceed and deal with them or not.
If it's the latter, tell them what you think you're interested in, tell them it will be an all cash deal if the price is right, and request a copy of a dealer build sheet(s) with pricing including all the options available for the 24D model.
We ordered ours in 2017, and did it from a dealer supplied build sheet with pricing. There was no price reduction involved, because it was a custom order. It was all cash too, but that didn't matter to the dealer or to us.
Actually, I'd ask for the build sheets for all the available 2020 models, in case you change your mind on which model you prefer.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My advice is to do a nationwide RVtrader.com search on the 2020 View and see what various dealers around the country are listing as their "internet price" for a cash purchase with no trade in. Print out the 2 or 3 best ones for use when negotiating.

Then, you'll have an idea of the crazy difference between dealer cost and suggested MSRP.

First of all, if you are wanting to order it vs. buy one that is already on the sales lot Lichtsinn may insist on being paid a higher price. Don't really know exactly why, but that was my experience with them.

You can leverage the internet prices by sending the specific for sale listings that match what you want to buy to your sales person and seeing how they respond. I don't know how close to dealer cost they go these days.

They are a wonderful dealer with great staff, great service, in a really nice building. As a side effect they can and do charge more than the no frills dealers like Camping World that you read the horror stories about on IRV2.

It's a trade off between initial price and post purchase ownership experience you'll have to decide on.

Finally if you know exactly what you want and need no hand-holding then you may want to bypass sales person and ask to work directly with the sales manager, that cuts their overhead as they don't have to pay a sales person a commission.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Crah - Excellent advice here. Here is my experience if you want a no BS fair price.

We have purchased 2 Winnebago's in the last 4 years after a national search on RV Trader. We found that Harrison RV in Jefferson, Iowa had the lowest price - they gave us the lowest price without having to negotiate. Lewis RV in Ohio also had a great price but Harrison is only 2 hours from our house.

Harrison RV is a small town dealer with a no BS business model. People from all over the U.S. come to buy from them. When we have needed parts they usually have them and ship them before we send them the check. Another advantage is that since Harrison RV is so close to the factory they are "factory fresh" as Lichtsinn likes to say! .

Good luck in your search. Now is a good time to buy one. Let us know how it comes out.

Steve
2017 View J
Adel, Iowa
ArtistsView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thing that is kind of aggravating about Lichtsinns is they are just a few blocks from the factory but it shows on their window sticker a delivery and handling fee of $1,475.00......Wow!!! I have been told this is Winnebago's standard charge whether a dealer is a mile away or in texas or Florida.I would haul them from the factory to their lot all day long for 1/2 of that!
I am also surprised that they don't have more new units on their lot than they do. I have a feeling though they can get Coaches off the factory inventory that hasn't been spoken for yet.
I have found the "loan amount" is usually what you'll find other dealers near bottom dollar for their Coaches
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have never really understood why they don't sell the higher end Winn. travel trailers and 5th wheels even if they are made in Indiana.
Winn higher end TT's have a great reputation for quality and are great sellers. What's wrong with making more money and having more customers?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Thing that is kind of aggravating about Lichtsinns is they are just a few blocks from the factory but it shows on their window sticker a delivery and handling fee of $1,475.00......Wow!!! I have been told this is Winnebago's standard charge whether a dealer is a mile away or in texas or Florida.I would haul them from the factory to their lot all day long for 1/2 of that!
I am also surprised that they don't have more new units on their lot than they do. I have a feeling though they can get Coaches off the factory inventory that hasn't been spoken for yet.
I have found the "loan amount" is usually what you'll find other dealers near bottom dollar for their Coaches

I'm sure Lichtsinn isn't happy about paying the universal delivery charge, the same as all dealers pay. I would have much rather paid less for delivery when I purchased from them. I assume this is the same way they price delivery charges for all motor vehicles.

For me their location has worked to my advantage since they do have the ability to send a driver to pick up parts if needed. Overall I have been very satisfied with my dealings with them and continue to call for information and advise with issues as they come up. They always return my calls in a reasonable time.

They have several lots where they store their inventory, I chose to order mine with the extras that I wanted and waited for it to be built (about 3 months at that time).

As far as getting coaches off the line that haven't been spoken for, I don't know. I'm sure any dealer can do the same.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
Site Team

One thing about having a set delivery charge, it creates a level playing field for pricing no matter your distance from northern Iowa. And it gives dealers an incentive to stock new product on their lots.

One of the reasons you don’t see brands like Arctic Fox very much in the South and East Coast is the giant delivery cost to get one of their RVs delivered from Oregon to Texas or Florida.

We ordered a new Arctic Fox TT a decade ago from a dealer in Oregon rather than a dealer in Texas because of the extra $4,000 Delivery cost the Texas dealer needed. You can’t go to a Northwood Manufacturing dealer in the Southeast and even see any product.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

-Lichtsinn RV
I know they get "thumbs up" generally, but I haven't had good experience with them.

We bought a new 31D in Oct '16 from Bullyan in Duluth MN. Lichtsinn's pricing on their website was misleading since the "net price" with trade in was about what we paid in Duluth with no trade in.

I recently sent them an online inquiry regarding having my rig set up for Dish TV. No response.

When we were buying new, we contacted them and asked if we could plug our RV in at their store while we were there and camp overnight. The answer was NO.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I will give credit where credit is due though. Lichtsinn's does seem to be a progressive Winn. Dealer. Their educational vids have been great. The walk through video's are 2nd to none.
I have learned a lot watching them and of course it has had the desired effect as I am a candidate for a possible Winn and Lichtsinn's customer.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Their excellent video on TV options was what prompted me to send them an inquiry (via their website) regarding an install. NO response. Why have an online contact page if you don't respond to inquiries?
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I would try the lost art of the spoken word and give them a call.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
-Lichtsinn RV
I know they get "thumbs up" generally, but I haven't had good experience with them.

We bought a new 31D in Oct '16 from Bullyan in Duluth MN. Lichtsinn's pricing on their website was misleading since the "net price" with trade in was about what we paid in Duluth with no trade in.

I recently sent them an online inquiry regarding having my rig set up for Dish TV. No response.

When we were buying new, we contacted them and asked if we could plug our RV in at their store while we were there and camp overnight. The answer was NO.

Dealership of RV's, cars, trucks etc will typically not give you a definitive bottom line price and certainly never publish them. It would give them no room for negotiation, the only auto company, that I can recall, to do that was Saturn - they no longer exist. Negotiation of price is something that is not standard and depends upon your skill and other variables such as timing, inventory and whatever sales bonus they are working on. Bottom line, you can't go by advertised prices anywhere. You try to talk them down and they try to sell you more. They also have to sort out who they think is a legitimate purchaser and someone who is just shopping around prices.

I have found that a phone call is better at getting a quote for work than email or online unless it's a follow up to a phone call. Just my experience. They did a great job of installing my dish system.

There is camping for WIT members 1 mile away and inexpensive camping at the town and state parks. Additionally, if you were in their store and spending hours looking over rigs and talking with the sales people I would think it would be hard for them to turn you away from a free night plugged in at their parking lot. There are some good restaurants within walking distance but I wouldn't call it camping.

As far as free camping... does camping world do that for you? Would the dealer in Deluth do that for you? Why not go back to Deluth to get your Dish installed?

Reading between the lines I think you may have been some issue with your dealings with them. I have found the staff, including Ron Lichtsinn very approachable - perhaps give Ron a call if you're interested in clearing the air.

I did purchase my View from them, they did everything they said they would then and since then. As far as service, most if not all of the people working there came from Winnebago where they were trained. They have far exceeded what I expected out of a dealer. I did get a better price from a dealership in Fla. but decided to pay a few dollars more due to their reputation. I don't think I'll be purchasing another RV but if I was going to I would give them a call.

I'm sure there are other dealers out there who are just as good or even better.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Crah: I’ll pile on here- I bought my 2018 24D in February when sales are low and dealers are more apt to deal. I called Lichtsinn to see what they would offer, and they quoted me ~100k for a unit off the lot (at that time it was ~$30K below sticker price). The local La Mesa RV was $30 K high so I told them thanks, but I can save $30K at Lichtsinn. They turned around and matched the price within $2K.
This single point of reference indicates to me that you probably have about $30K of bargaining room, but you have to take a model that is available. Getting the “D” is of course the BEST floor plan (just ask me), so you are 98% “there” already- now you have to determine if you can settle for fewer options (like full body paint) and save significant $ or not. I got the regular paint and it is just fine.
ALSO: Be prepared for dealer added options (same as when buying a car): I did go for the “sealant” offered by the dealer (no waxing needed for 5 years), but turned down the extended maintenance plan (basically betting that with this brand new rig we will pay less fixing things ourselves after the warranties expire). It is working out so far.
ALSO ALSO: If you are interested have a list of things you will need to buy, should buy, and might consider buying. Suggest Check out YouTube videos by “Grandpa Ron” for other ideas.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We just picked out 2020 view 24d about 3 weeks ago. Twice we’ve gone to redirect national service for our rv choice. You go on line. Build your coach and within 12 hours they will email you a quote, and customarily it is at least 25% off their msrp. We live in the Midwest so we had to order or coach from Albany ny dealership because linnctchin rv has the the area taken care of. We went with a factory pickup but we still had to pay the delivery charge even though it wasn’t delivered anywhere. It was 1500.00 for the factory pickup but that was better then driving up to New York. We has owned a newmar before and we want to downsize. We had bought the newmar from redirect also, we purchased from a Rvone dealership Tampa Florida and had it delivered to Des Moines Rvone dealership. It was reassuring to get a quote and a definite price at the out set..
Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
We just picked out 2020 view 24d about 3 weeks ago. Twice we’ve gone to redirect national service for our rv choice.
Sorry smbuddy46, but, is “redirect national service” a dealer? I can’t find any dealer by that name and you mentioned them twice.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Same here. What is the web link?
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I’m sorry it was rvdirect just go to rvdirect.com and you’ll find it.
Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago