Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Sumo springs and Hellwig anti-sway bar arrived and I installed them yesterday with the help of a friend. The process took about 2.5 hours of labor with no issues encountered.

I installed the SSF-106-47 springs for the front and SSR-338-54 for the rear. I'm using the heavier -54's because I carry a scooter on the rear of my 2019 Navion 24D. The Hellwig model number is #7254.

All parts fit easily with no modification. We had to raise the frame for each install of the springs (4 times) with the Sprinter bottle jack. While we had it raised for the first rear spring installation, we loosened the bolts on the original sway bar (this is not necessary, but gave us better access); we did not remove the original sway bar with the frame lifted as there is tension on the fittings when the frame is lifted. The sway bar was swapped out once we had the RV on the ground.

The tools I used included: flat head screw driver to remove the original springs, 18mm socket to remove the original sway bar and then attach the Hellwig with two of the original bolts, 10mm hex to attached the Hellwig to the axle (these bolts come with the bar), 1/2" socket to remove and replace the front springs. I used a 1/2" drive torque wrench to tighten the sway bar bolts (75 lb ft), various ratchet extensions.

A couple of notes: 1) Hellwig provides silicone grease for the sway bar bushing and thread lock (Blue) for the bolts; 2) Hellwig also provided 4 washers for the bushings that attach to the brackets on the end of the bar. One washer goes on each side of the two red bushings; 3) we turned the front wheels outward on each side for easier access to the front springs.

Results: Noticeable improvement in ride quality. RV rides flatter through curves and settles out much quicker over bumps/depressions in the road. I'm very pleased with the outcome. I have Koni shocks on order and look forward to installing them for even a better ride.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.
Bob
Skylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

For those that want to spend the money, the VB Air suspension on the rear is the ultimate upgrade. I had the Koni’s, then Agile Fox, Hellwig, and Sumo’s. All improved the ride but do not regret putting on the VB suspension. Just an FYI for those that don’t know about the system.
ArtistsView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Just purchased a 2019 Nation 24V. The placard on drivers door says chassis was built 6/2018. Does this mean I have a 2018 chassis? I would like to reduce the big rig blow by and level out the ride a little. I also will tow regularly an enclosed 6'x12' trailer with a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight. Would these items be suggested upgrades?

Hellwig 7254 sway bar
Rear SuperSpring Sumo SSR-338-54
Front SuperSpring Sumo SSF-106-47

Any suggestions are very much appreciated as this is not my cup of tea.
Bwdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwdonald View Post
Just purchased a 2019 Nation 24V. The placard on drivers door says chassis was built 6/2018. Does this mean I have a 2018 chassis? I would like to reduce the big rig blow by and level out the ride a little. I also will tow regularly an enclosed 6'x12' trailer with a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight. Would these items be suggested upgrades?

Hellwig 7254 sway bar
Rear SuperSpring Sumo SSR-338-54
Front SuperSpring Sumo SSF-106-47

Any suggestions are very much appreciated as this is not my cup of tea.
Most folks seem to use the blue fronts SSF-106-40. But I would talk to the manufacturer and explain your application trailer weight,etc.

I have Sumos (blue and black) I don’t tow. I installed Agile tuned Fox shocks instead of sway bar. I found that this eliminated rocking off of uneven surfaces and push from semis. However many owners have bought the Helwig. I am very happy with this setup.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #25
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwdonald View Post
Just purchased a 2019 Nation 24V. The placard on drivers door says chassis was built 6/2018. Does this mean I have a 2018 chassis?
You need to check your VIN number from Mercedes, that will tell you the production year of the chassis.
Mine is a 2019 Winnebago model year but it's on a 2017 Mercedes chassis.
bkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #26
Micro Minnie 1800BH

I have a 2017 VJ. I chose to go the Sumo Solo 40-blue front and 47-black rears. We wanted to retain a softer yet more controlled ride. I did the fronts first. That made an amazing improvement by making the front feel stable and connected to the road. Then I put the rears on which made a further noticeable improvement. Last, I added the rear Koni FSD dampeners. Overall the ride is greatly improved and well worth the $600 investment.
Originally, I planned on the Hellwig sway bar as my only change. However, the more I researched upgrading the suspension, I decided not to replace the OEM sway bar. The Hellwig hardware looks cheap and the Roadmaster fits the factory hardware, but only slightly larger diameter.
There are mixed reviews on replacing the sway bar, I’m skipping it.
I’m very pleased with the improvements and easy DIY task.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

PWR..... Thank you for your feed back. I concur. I've spent too much time in the back of a 'deuce and a half'. I want a compliant ride and adequate, predictable handling. Besides, these beasts are made of sticks (cheap ones at that), fiberglass shells and walls. You don't want the dang thing being pounded apart as if it were riding on the the back of a Bull at the rodeo.

And, the pups demand a good ride.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Mooneypaul i also went for the Fox shocks 2.5 for the my view, added sumos to the front and that was it. There is a you tube view called Camping with Ron, he mentions all the upgrades he did to his view,he originally went with sumos on front and back plus koni shocks on the back, he said looking back he would have skipped the rear sumos and went with the Fox shocks
Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Hi,

I just purchased a 2020 View. Can you tell me which Sumo springs you added to the front?
Are you happy with how your coach is riding now or have you made any further changes?

Thanks
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Sumo

I bought the ssf-106-47, The black one’s, I also had fox shocks installed on the rear, you can go to Agile Off road , and they have a recommendation for the MB 3500 chassis on a class c motor home. I had them both installed by a local repair shop. I’m happy with both, the shocks are a little stiff, I chose to that instead of the rear sway bar, I was under the impression that MB had upgraded that sway bar on the new 2019 chassis, so I chose to go with the shocks.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
I bought the ssf-106-47, The black one’s, I also had fox shocks installed on the rear, you can go to Agile Off road , and they have a recommendation for the MB 3500 chassis on a class c motor home. I had them both installed by a local repair shop. I’m happy with both, the shocks are a little stiff, I chose to that instead of the rear sway bar, I was under the impression that MB had upgraded that sway bar on the new 2019 chassis, so I chose to go with the shocks.
Thank you very much for your quick response. I think you are right about MB upgrading the rear sway bar. The MB sway bar is only very slightly smaller in diameter than the Hellwig 7777 and the brackets that are used to mount the OEM are much more substantial. I have gone to the Agile site to order the FOX shocks; these are currently on backorder. I will also order the Sumo springs for the front.
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Glad I could help
Old 06-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Thank you very much for your quick response. I think you are right about MB upgrading the rear sway bar. The MB sway bar is only very slightly smaller in diameter than the Hellwig 7777 and the brackets that are used to mount the OEM are much more substantial. I have gone to the Agile site to order the FOX shocks; these are currently on backorder. I will also order the Sumo springs for the front.
Hello!

I have a 2020 Navion 24v. Took delivery this last week. I drove from Virginia to Missouri. On the drive through the Smokies I ordered a Hellwig sway bar 7777 because of the sway in the rear and being pushed around by every passing car.

The Hellwig may not look much bigger and the brackets may not look as heavy but there is a substantial difference in the way it now rides.

We drove back from Missouri to New Jersey and a huge difference was noticeable. Is there sway still? Yes, but it cut down about 70 percent of it from before.

I have ordered the Sumo blues for the front and the Agile shocks for the rear to complete the ride quality I am hoping for. Doing each one in stages I am excited for so I can see the difference each one makes.

Thought I would create an account and let you know my experiences.
Acegolf2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

Update

As with anything everyone has their style. The front blues were not for me. I went to the black Sumos For the front and much better.

The blues for me were very drifty and sloppy feeling. A ton of sway was added back into the vehicle that the Hellwig took out.

The Black Sumos though have it perfect.

Still waiting on the Foxes.
Acegolf2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, upgrade