Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
2017 Itasca Spirit 27Q.

2017 27Q looking to upgrade converter to Inverter/Charger. Seeking opinions and Help

Ok, doing some research. My 27Q has two house batteries and a converter. I want to upgrade to an inverter/charger like the vitron 2000 watt setup. Looking at AM Solar and Battleborn etc. Two batteries will fit under my step and the Lithium 100 AH should fit. (looking at lithium because of the usable Amp hours vs AGM for weight and size. i.e. would need 4 AGM batteries vs 2 Lithum for same usable amp hours).
Would like to do some drycamping and think that the 200 AH would work for us but am thinking about upping it to three batteries for 300AH, but then I would need to either put the third battery in the storage compartment next to the step battery location thus complicating the setup. the inverter/charger will need to be placed in that storage compartment.
The storage bin I am looking at is decent width and length but fairly narrow opening (approx 8" tall) can't find where to locate dimensions of the individual bins anywhere (not in manual or on line at winnebago)
Questions:
1. Would you give up two storage bays on the side (one for three batteries and one for the inverter/charger and wiring) or go with the two batteries and use the compartment for the inverter/charger and wiring?
( I will probably add a solar controller and solar panels the following year and would use the same bay to house the controller)
2. my issue with using two in the step and the third in the compartment would be the different lengths of wiring between batteries. it is my understanding that best practice is to have them short, thick and uniform in length is that correct?
3. what other things am I missing ? (looking at Battleborn bundles like: https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...ithium-bundle/ or https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...ithium-bundle/

Any experience with moving from converter to and inverter/Charger out there.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure where to start. In no particular order,

WBGO installs the inverter upside down and mounts it to the ceiling of one of the bays in some RVs. This allows the bay to still useful for storage.

I read about one RVer that installed an inverter/ charger and left his converter in place and just disconnected it in case he sold his RV and needed to reinstall it one day.

Not that your plans are wrong, but you’re looking at doing things the opposite of most folks going down this path. Most start with solar to charge the batteries they already have and then plan on spending the big bucks on LiPo batteries as an upgrade. A solar install is probably 1/4 the cost or less of adding LiPo batteries.

Depending on the size of the space under your stairs, perhaps a single larger-sized battery would work, rather than being restricted to a group 31 sized drop in replacement battery.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
2017 Itasca Spirit 27Q.

Thanks for the reply.
The inverter/charger is #1 for me and having capacity to use the inverter is #2.
Solar is #3 partly because of the panel install and I can "top up" the batteries with the generator or alternator or plug in for a day/night.
Did not know about the using the ceiling of the bay mounting.
Probably will unhook the converter cap the connections.
200 amp hour lithium equals 400 AH AGM batteries. I know initial cost is more but research says in the long run cheaper.
Thanks again
Old 11-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Team

There are issues letting your alternator charge your LiPo batteries. The alternator doesn't charge at the correct voltage.

Battleborn sells a isolation device that you install between the LiPo batteries and your alternator. This automatically disconnects your lithium batters from charging on the alternator.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...ation-manager/

But most, like you ,WANT their Lithium batteries to charge from the alternator.

I've seen people go back and forth over this. Some just ignore it. Others take precautions. Some go so far as to install a second alternator made specifically for this task.

So, it's something you should probably do some research about.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Team

I also found this: https://battlebornbatteries.com/ster...ttery-charger/
Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
2017 Itasca Spirit 27Q.

I have looked at both options you pointed out. I will probably not go with the dc to dc charger but look to add solar panels sooner.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

interesting, in the Battle Born links every time they meant "then" they said "than"
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have the Victron Pultiplus 2000/80, with 200 amp hours of Battle Born batteries, plus the Sterling to Sterling 30 amp charger on my boat. I also have a Via 25T, which has similar constraints on batteries, and storage. If I know what I know now, I would have also put the Li FePO4 batteries in my Via. In that case I would use the 60 amp Sterling Battery to Battery charger (My boat only has a 44 amp alternator on the outboard)--thus the limit on the 30 amps.

I agree with getting rid of the converter--just cap it off. The Victron acts as a transfer switch from shore power to inverter power. Put the microwave (we cook with induction burner, so we have than on the inverter). Be sure the water heater, any Air conditioning/heater and battery charging circuits are off of the inverter circuit.

Stick with all Victron parts--for the solar Controller--it makes things much easier.

You are on the right track. As for the cost factor--only better if you keep the RV for a long time. If you use it a lot and are off the grid a lot.

Keep us all appraised of how it works out!
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #9
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

My $.02: There are auto switching inverters available that do not charge the battery so you don't need to replace the DC power supply (converter). I added an AIMS 2000 Watt pure sine wave switching inverter (PWRIX2000SUL) to my 27QP (tight fit in the input power cable storage). The inverter will use the AC, when available, through shore power or plugged into the generator outlet (normal configuration) with the generator running. The inverter has a remote switch to turn on the unit when needed or left "on", drawing a few amps DC power in "standby". I personally don't want the standby current draw so I keep the unit off until needed.

Since I converted to lithium batteries and bought a lithium-specific converter, I felt that this was the better battery charger and opted for the switching inverter from AIMS Power. My recommendation, don't make things any more complicated than they already are. If you use an inverter/charger, you will have all of your "power eggs" in one basket; generally not a good idea. I've worked as a technical consultant for decades and would not design or recommend any single-point-of-failure system.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
WinnieAdven38

What is a 27Q? Class A? Diesel pusher? 5th wheel?

Regardless - your battery amp hr. size should be determined by your (1) power requirements and (2) Charging source.

You indicated that you are considering a 200 AH Battle Born system - good choice. You also want to add an inverter charger - but what is your charging source? Assume it will have have to be primarily your generator, since you do not have solar. As others here have noted you may want to install the solar system 1st.

As for AH requirements - you need to assess what you want to power. A microwave? TV? Lights? Computers? A/C is out of the question without installing at least 6 100AH batteries and much larger inverter.

I would guess that if you are like most RVers you want to power lights and TV most commonly, with occasional microwave use. We have 300AH of LiFePO4 batteries in our class A which works fine for all the above plus a 2 screen desktop PC. Have 500 watt solar system which is barely sufficient to fully charge this if full sun is available. If not may have to run generator some to top off.

In what temperatures do you RV? The reason is that if you mount your Battle Born batteries under your step then they will acclimate to the outside temperature. While Lithium Ion batteries are great, they do not work well in low temps. You should not charge them much below 35 F, though they can be discharged to below 0 F. What this implies is that you can use your batteries in low temps, but you will not then be able to re-charge them until they get above 32F. The Battle Born batteries have a temperature sensor and BMS which will automatically shut off charging if the temp gets too low in order to protect them. I mounted my Lithium batteries under the my step, but wrapped them with inexpensive 12v seat heater pads to keep them warm when necessary.

As far as adding a 3rd or 4th battery in the compartment next to the step - this is exactly what I did when I had my Trojan lead acid 6v batteries. As long as you are running sufficiently large enough cable ( I used 1 gauge welding cable) there should be no problem because the wire run is very short and you will not have any voltage drop. I suggest just starting with 2 Battle Borns under the step and see how it goes - should be fine for most needs as they offer much better capacity than the original lead acid batteries. The other BIG advantage Lithium Ion batteries offer is fast charging. They are able to take a charge much more efficiently than lead acid batteries, and you will find that they charge up much faster - this is huge.

Finally - I have noted that most of the Battle Born packages include more than you really need as they include solar controller, battery isolators, inverter chargers, etc, etc... You can have a workable system using your current converter (for shore power charging) and just adding an appropriately sized inverter (do you already have one that works with you old batteries? It may suffice). Add solar. Unless always parked under tree cover you will find that system provides good automatic charging much of the time.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, inverter, upgrade