Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 24G Shower Plugged

Just getting our unit out and Unwinterizing it for the season.
Flushing AntiFreeze from lines at all outlets and noticed Shower
not draining. Last season we never noticed any type of problem
with slow drain as long as we were level or rear slightly lower than
front as I believe slope of drain is very shallow.
Looking for access to trap/drain assembly of shower.
Will try to use a small snake to check for obstuction.
All traps had Antifreeze for winter
Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. Loss GiGi in 2017 to cancer. A part of her rides with us all the time but not the same. She really enjoyed Adventures
Bompa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Depending on the type of drain used (Hepvo vs. standard P trap) do not go sticking anything down there. P trap fine, but a Hepvo trap is actually a membrane and you will ruin it. Determine what it is first.

Most likely it is hair and soap scum plugging up your drain. There is a screen or crossbar about 2" into the drain that traps most of the stuff. Use a pair of needle nose pliers or a hemostat to pull the junk out. If you are unable to pull stuff out, get yourself some Liquid Plumber and follow the directions.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I looked before I jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Depending on the type of drain used (Hepvo vs. standard P trap) do not go sticking anything down there. P trap fine, but a Hepvo trap is actually a membrane and you will ruin it. Determine what it is first.

Most likely it is hair and soap scum plugging up your drain. There is a screen or crossbar about 2" into the drain that traps most of the stuff. Use a pair of needle nose pliers or a hemostat to pull the junk out. If you are unable to pull stuff out, get yourself some Liquid Plumber and follow the directions.
After my original post I noticed water coming from under the shower.
The shower was draining but not down the drain.
I remembered I had downloaded some of the Plumbing diagrams for my model.
I noticed it showed both the Vanity & Shower have Waterless Traps so I googled and recognized the HEPVO type trap as I had to previously work on the vanity drain system. At the time I didn't realize it was the trap and assumed a P Trap was further down the line.
After studying the shower area more I decided to try removing the section of wall directly under the shower.
I was able to remove part of the wall and while tight to get to I was able to reach the piping and found the HEPVO trap assembly which was loose.
I removed the trap completely and found some hair inside although not enough to block (in my opinion). I reassembled the unit and tightened by hand. I then soaked up the water and ran a fan to completely dry the area. After all was dry and clean I ran lots of water for some time with good draining and no leaks.
I have also bought a hair catcher to put over the drain to stop additional hair.
While studying the HEPVO trap I realized the unit under the vanity was installed upside down from the factory so I removed the shroud and corrected that as well
Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. Loss GiGi in 2017 to cancer. A part of her rides with us all the time but not the same. She really enjoyed Adventures
Bompa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Unless it is vastly different than a 2014 "G"..... it has a Hepvo valve. No P-trap because the lines run parallel and close to the decking. It's also called a 'duck bill' valve.... think of it as a Whoopee Cushion or 'Rasberry' valve. The 'lips' are probably just 'gummed up' from did-use, soap, muck and fuss in the valve.

I'd use a plumber's plunger. You just need to put a little pressure on it to unseal the sticking 'lips' in the valve.

Yes! Do check to see that it is installed 'right side up' or it won't drain properly.

BTW, the lav sink probably has a similar valve. The galley sink doesn't.

Hope this helps...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower