Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 Winnebago View J Anyone know what this is? I've got a leak!

Hey all, so I noticed a slow steady drip of water coming from underneath my 2016 Winnebago View J. I've attached a picture of where it is coming from and you can see the water droplet next to that tube. A few questions...

What is that tube for (and what the heck is the little screen thingy sticking out of the end)?

Thoughts on what the source of the leak might be and what to inspect? It looks as though there is a pinhole leak in the sealant around that tube allowing water to leak through. The water pump does not cycle on and off. I first noticed the leak after completely filling the fresh tank via gravity port.

Thanks

EC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AB6E112-7355-49F9-A6F8-3E0EE769BE63.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	171293  
ElCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That looks like one of the two fresh water drain tubes under the wet bay as seen on our View 24G (they each have a valve that can be turned to drain water before winterizing). We found our city water fill port check valve leaking last week and the water was weeping through a pin hole by that tube and onto the ground.
So the big brown truck is bringing one of these today as there doesn't seem to be a simple way to replace the city water fill port;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6VKI
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

So, there are 3 tubes under the wet bay for winterizing draining and this is not one of them. I was finally able to access the 3d CAD drawings on the Winnebago site and determined a few things. First, the thing sticking out of the end is an inline tank filter, presumably used to keep insects, etc from climbing up and nesting in the tube. The tube itself happens to be the vent tube from the top of the freshwater tank. The question I have yet to answer is why there might be water dripping next to the tube. My only thought is that perhaps there is actually a clog in the vent line, and when the fresh water tank is filled, maybe it's leaking from an elbow?

The red arrow in the attached picture points at the tube in question.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Thanks,

EC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	171294  
Old 03-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCampo View Post
So, there are 3 tubes under the wet bay for winterizing draining and this is not one of them. I was finally able to access the 3d CAD drawings on the Winnebago site and determined a few things. First, the thing sticking out of the end is an inline tank filter, presumably used to keep insects, etc from climbing up and nesting in the tube. The tube itself happens to be the vent tube from the top of the freshwater tank. The question I have yet to answer is why there might be water dripping next to the tube. My only thought is that perhaps there is actually a clog in the vent line, and when the fresh water tank is filled, maybe it's leaking from an elbow?

The red arrow in the attached picture points at the tube in question.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Thanks,

EC
That was our next thought but didn't want to go there as it could be more serious. Perhaps it's just the fact that you filled the tank to the top and there's not a good seal at the vent tube connection.
Could you 'push' some air up the tube to check for obstruction and for fact finding?

On our previous motorhome of another brand the builder installed 3 vent tubes, and when the tank was full and then driven almost all the water would 'siphon out'.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
That was our next thought but didn't want to go there as it could be more serious. Perhaps it's just the fact that you filled the tank to the top and there's not a good seal at the vent tube connection.
Could you 'push' some air up the tube to check for obstruction and for fact finding?

On our previous motorhome of another brand the builder installed 3 vent tubes, and when the tank was full and then driven almost all the water would 'siphon out'.
That is really interesting. After doing a gravity fill, water appears to siphon out of the gravity fill port for quite some time. Would that indicate a clogged tank vent? Also, IIRC, several times I've done a gravity fill, water ends up pouring out through that tube in the original picture but normally that doesn't happen. Again, would this be an indication of a clogged vent? Finally, do you know if the top of the tank is accessible to repair/replace anything?

Thanks,

EC
Old 03-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We installed this check valve (as other owners have done) in the gravity fill vent tube to hopefully prevent 'siphoning' from the port;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHNPQYE

We have not discovered or looked up far enough to find the top of the tank. What we thought interesting is the regular dump valve handle in our wet bay for the large fresh water tank drain pipe. It lets out the water real fast.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Leak resolved

Thanks for the help everyone - the leak has been resolved. I noticed a small amount of water on the bathroom floor that looked like it originated under the shower pan. I removed the vent / access panel and felt water farther back than I could see so I opened the access under the bed and could see water dripping from the water strainer cap which had vibrated about 1/8 turn loose. Thankfully and I'm sure accidentally, there was a pinhole leak in the sealant around the freshwater tank vent tube exit under the vehicle. There would have been a lot of water piling up and getting stuff wet otherwise. Hopefully this helps someone.

EC

Tags
leak