Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 View Diesel Fuel Filter

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct fuel filter? Mann-Filter WK820/18 Fuel Filter.
thanks!
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene36542 View Post
Can anyone confirm that this is the correct fuel filter? Mann-Filter WK820/18 Fuel Filter.
thanks!
If a 16 is like previous V6 3L diesels, you change it at 30K miles. It is not a job for owners or shade tree mechanics. Your best shot is to take it to a MB Sprinter authorized service center to get the exact part for your VIN # AND have it installed correctly. And, they will have the exact clamps and tools to the job right ... The first time.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
If a 16 is like previous V6 3L diesels, you change it at 30K miles. It is not a job for owners or shade tree mechanics. Your best shot is to take it to a MB Sprinter authorized service center to get the exact part for your VIN # AND have it installed correctly. And, they will have the exact clamps and tools to the job right ... The first time.
Rather than doing it myself as "regular maintenance" I was thinking of having one "readily available" in case I have a bad fuel issue while travelling. Is this more of a non-issue to be concerned about?
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Gene, great idea. To be absolutely sure you have the correct filter, you really should take your VIN# to Mother Benz and have the parts guys ID the right model. Off top of head, the OM-642 has probably 3 different filters over the years. They aren't interchangeable due to the electrical connectors for the sensors.

Also, pick up several hose clamps they are special and easily broken. You can't use the screw type Jubilee clamps as they don't close "round".

I've puzzled over why Mother buried a Maintainence item under the air cleaner and deep in the valley between the heads. Four hoses w/ connectors, an electrical connector and mounting clamp in an the space of a softball.......
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Also..... Grab your manual and bone up on the "water in fuel" (WIF) procedure and locate drain hose. It could save you down time.

Last, fuel additives not recommended. The Crow believes the reason is that the filter uses a hydrophobic membrane to separate water from the diesel. Some additives allow water to pass through the membrane and that will crap up the injection system.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I just had my fuel filter changed (more PM then a real need). The only filter that would fit was a genuine Mercedes filter. So the one you have spec'd my not fit. BTW, I have a 2017 Navion on a 2016 chassis.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Recently replaced the fuel filter in my 2014 Navion. Ordered one (Mann) on-line that claimed to be an exact replacement. Learned the following:

1. It wasn't an exact replacement. The original had a semi-ridged plastic drain hose and valve mounted on the right side of the engine to drain water from the bottom of the fuel filter. The plastic hose goes down the side of the engine and points to the ground.

2.The replacement filter that I received has a flexible neoprene drain hose about 8 inches long with a valve and mechanical support attached to the end of the hose. I found that there was an unused "L" bracket attached to the front of the engine exactly the correct size and place for the support, it just clicked in place. I left the unused original semi-flexible tube in place so future filters can be installed.

3. The dash 'water in fuel filter" warning light remained lit for about 50 miles then went out.

4. The reason that the fuel filter is buried in the engine valley is to heat the diesel fuel to increase its volatility. Similarly, there is an integral heater inside the filter (that's one of the sets of wires going to the filter).
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Precautions for air bubble during fuel filter change

It is useful to raise the front end of the vehicle before replacing the fuel filter so any air bubbles in the fuel line can escape from the fuel line. I also got a small funnel and filled the filter with diesel prior to mounting it to reduce any issues from air bubbles introduced into the fuel system.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
I have changed two fuel filters so far on mine without too much aggravation. But I am a seasoned mechanic and bought the special pliers needed for the hose clamps. If you're not confident doing it, take it to a dealer. Larry 2014 Reyo P.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Fuel Filter part number

I could not determine the correct part number via MB and my VIN#. MB told me I had to remove the FF to read the part number that was installed. I was able to read the PN with a mirror and flashlight after I removed the air filter housing. Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel