Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy 2015 Itasca Navion Cabinet latches

Hello all I am new to this forum, and have a question. We just purchased a new 2015 Itasca Navion with the european cabinets. They look great but the latches keep falling apart. There are 2 pins that hold the latches together, and one of the pins on each and every latch has fallen out. I've found and fixed a few, but the pins keep working their way loose. So , has anyone else had this issue with the Itasca Navions? and what did Itasca do about it? We are on our way home from our maiden voyage to Estes Park, CO, and the dealer said to make an appointment so they can look at it. Thanks
pagerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Same Problem

My neighbor has a 2015 Win View - same problem. Appears the fancy Italian latches are not well suited to RV. Dealer has replaced them, but the new ones failed. Latch has no "give" to it - I suspect flexing of the coach overloads them.
MWKingSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Can you share a photo? If it's a push pin, how about a dab of silicone to keep the vibrations from allowing that pin to walk out?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I agree. They seem to look good but have no give. The dealer will be replacing all the hinges.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Photos attached.

I am trying to attach 3 photos of the latches. one of the latch intact, the second of a broken latch, the third of the latch and pin. But I am having great difficulties
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7646.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	103819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7647.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	103820  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7648.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	103821  
Old 08-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I am in the same situation.
We bought our Navion 4 months ago.
We Love It!

At least 4 of the latches have come apart.
Looking for a replacement.

Thank You for posting this problem.
BFRANKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I brought it back to the dealer and they are replacing all the latches... They are also replacing the draw locks, replacing the 5lb latches with 10lb latches.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

2015 Itasca Navion Latch Failures

Itasca Navion, 2015. Great looking cabinets with the worlds worst latches. About half of my latches have just fallen off. I've had latches fall off while parked with nothing in the cabinet. Anyone have a fix or replacement I can buy? I've got less than 1000 miles on this thing. Dealers in Texas are worthless so no hope of a replacement under warranty. I'm desperate, I have the TV duct taped to keep it from bouncing back and forth.
rmclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Cabinet Latch Fix

After suffering with the cabinet latches on my Navion falling off I finally came up with a fix. The issue is the small pins that hold the latch together (see photos from a previous post) backing out over time. My fix is pretty simple and involves using an epoxy to glue the pin to the outer latch. I used a two part epoxy (a simple super glue will not work) which fills in the space around the head of the pin and hardens preventing the pin from working loose. It is important to insure that the epoxy does not penetrate to the inner latch since the latch must rotate around the pin when opening or closing. If you have lost the pins (like I did on the first two that fell out) take the outer part of the latch to Lowes or Home Depot and find an appropriate size brad. Cut the brad to a length that just protrudes from the outer latch and use the epoxy or Gorilla Glue to fill the space around the brad (or original pin if you still have it). The glue hardens in a couple of minutes. I did this on all the latches (failed and working) on my Navion. This works well and even the TV stays put now.
rmclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

TV latch fell apart on the way home from the dealer. I stood the bad latch on end and whacked the pin with a center punch. We'll see what happens.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Didn't have this problem but my suggestion is to do what poster #9 did. Find a way of fixing it yourself. Your best case is the dealer may replace the hinges with ones just like it so they can break later. Maybe WBGO will issue a better replacement and that might be a good call to make. I know I'd just fix the darn things myself. Most dealers don't want to take the time to do it correctly and or don't know how to fix it correctly.

Epoxy, wack it with a hammer or different hinges.

TeJay
Old 04-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclin View Post
After suffering with the cabinet latches on my Navion falling off I finally came up with a fix. The issue is the small pins that hold the latch together (see photos from a previous post) backing out over time. My fix is pretty simple and involves using an epoxy to glue the pin to the outer latch. I used a two part epoxy (a simple super glue will not work) which fills in the space around the head of the pin and hardens preventing the pin from working loose. It is important to insure that the epoxy does not penetrate to the inner latch since the latch must rotate around the pin when opening or closing. If you have lost the pins (like I did on the first two that fell out) take the outer part of the latch to Lowes or Home Depot and find an appropriate size brad. Cut the brad to a length that just protrudes from the outer latch and use the epoxy or Gorilla Glue to fill the space around the brad (or original pin if you still have it). The glue hardens in a couple of minutes. I did this on all the latches (failed and working) on my Navion. This works well and even the TV stays put now.

Given that this thread is years old, it's quite possible no one will ever see this reply. But then, I made my way here with a search in 2021 because I had this exact same problem with the latches on the overhead cabinets of my 2015 Navion coming apart.

And yes, it's because those small metal pins that hold the two pieces of the latch together tend to work loose over time. But I found an incredibly simply solution that has worked quite well for me. I bought a box of round wood toothpicks for 99 cents. Line up the holes for the two pieces of the latch that have come apart and insert a toothpick in each side. Jam it in as far as it will go, then snap off the remaining part of the toothpick. This puts the two pieces of the latch back together again and has worked VERY well for me. Of the 4 overhead cabinets I've repaired with toothpicks, not one has come loose again.
Kegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had a number of latches bought from WGO. The new ones don’t fail.

Tags
itasca