Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 View 24V iPod dash power cable

We purchased a 2014 View 24V that comes with an iPod cable routed through the top of the dash. The previous owners left us a 30 pin Apple cable to Lightening connector for the new Apple products that was connected to the Itasca provided iPod cable. However, when my bride of 39 years forgot her iPad charger, I said no problem, just put the thing up here on the dash, plug in and charge away.

No joy, no juice. Either with the engine on or off..no luck.

Anybody know the secret to turning on the juice? Nothing in the user manual.

PS I have not as yet purchased another 30 pin to Lightening cable to check the possibility that the cable is bad.
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not 100% sure but it may be a audio-wired interface only.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Routed through the dash? Do you feel this is original or added after? If after, there are a large number of things that can be done in really strange ways and likely will require digging under the dash.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Oh, I bet you are right! I had not thought of that. OK the workaround is to just use the dash USB port and connect to the iPad through a lightening cable and see if that will charge her iPad.

Thanks very much!
Old 12-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Routed through the dash? Do you feel this is original or added after? If after, there are a large number of things that can be done in really strange ways and likely will require digging under the dash.
From what we have learned recently it's a supplied cable with the factory Infotainment option.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooolboy View Post
Oh, I bet you are right! I had not thought of that. OK the workaround is to just use the dash USB port and connect to the iPad through a lightening cable and see if that will charge her iPad.

Thanks very much!
But what you may be able to do is connect the iPad to the Infotainment system using Bluetooth for audio, and maybe even video on the factory screen (from what we have recently learned).
But it will be another week before we pick up our 2014 View so let us know if you have any success.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I'm 99.999999% sure that the Apple cable does not charge your device. Have a View but never hooked it to my iPad. Maybe I should try it. Really wish it had a a cable android device.

Had a similar cable in our 4Winds Ventura. We didn't use that one either....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Stop by your local Walmart or auto parts store and pick up a 2.1 amp charging adapter for your 12V power point - USB on one end and the rest depends on your charging cable.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Ed & Lynn

The Apple cables, either old style or new Lightning types, certainly DO charge the Apple devices. How the heck else could they be charged. The fact of this discussion is that the Original poster’s Apple cable is not plugged into a powered USB Jack.
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Retired and Loving it

My coach has one but just play only, no charging.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The 2018 24V came with some sort of female USB cable connector that only seems to be powered up when the ignition is on/engine is running, IIRC. It will charge a hpone with a similar male connector. We don't use it much, having 12VDC splitters instead with USB chargers in them in the 2 lower 12VDC cigar outlets for a dash cam and a standalone GPS unit. We passed on the 9" Infotainment option. They wanted C$2600 for it, and all it promised was a large Rand McNally RV type GPS unit that was apparently fraught with all sorts of problems, and a slightly better rearview camera setup.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
2018 Intent 26M Owner

It's Not plugged in?

Hi, not sure about 2014 but today's units have an actually USB port in the radio/entertainment system. When I purchased my 2018 the USB cable was missing...removal of a cover held by 3 screws revealed the back of the Radio unit and the USB connector. Plugged in a new cable and was able to play audio from my iPhone.

I wanted a unit offering CARPLAY today so I purchased a Pioneer AVX-1440 and installed as replacement---it also has the USB connector and came with the cable. CARPLAY works great and gives you access on your in dash unit to almost everything on your iPhone.

I am very disappointed my dealer did not know the cable was missing and should have been installed. As a brand new RVer learning these things can be difficult.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooolboy View Post
We purchased a 2014 View 24V that comes with an iPod cable routed through the top of the dash. The previous owners left us a 30 pin Apple cable to Lightening connector for the new Apple products that was connected to the Itasca provided iPod cable. However, when my bride of 39 years forgot her iPad charger, I said no problem, just put the thing up here on the dash, plug in and charge away.

No joy, no juice. Either with the engine on or off..no luck.

Anybody know the secret to turning on the juice? Nothing in the user manual.

PS I have not as yet purchased another 30 pin to Lightening cable to check the possibility that the cable is bad.
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

iPod connection

We have a 2014 Winnebago Trend. The Dodge Ram Promaster chassis has two USB jacks up front. One on the right side of dash next to the 12 volt connector. That USB is power supply and only on when key is in on position. The other USB is located on the dash just below and to the right of the steering wheel. That is the iPod connection USB. It supplies power at all times and is the interface with the iPod operating system and the Uconnect infotainment system. It works fine with my old iPod plus but will not interface with my iPhone 8 or my iPad Pro. ‘Not supported” is the error message I get. The new IOS technology is not supported by the Ram Promaster Uconnect system. Just below the iPod connection is an audio port for playing whatever MP3 devise you may have. Technology changes so fast that even a few years between devises that the connection is now obsolete. Hope this helps
Trinityfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everybody. My recap is: The cable coming out of the top of the dash for the iPod is original equipment. It only handles audio. It does not charge. However, iPad charging using a Lightning cable to USB can be done with the USB connection on the front of the dash.

Again my thanks to all of you fine folks.

Tags
dash, power