Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Navion iQ 24V check engine light

have a P246F (exhaust gas temp sensor bank 1 sensor 4) check engine light on. Diesel mechanic (NOT an MBenz guy) says turn off the light and see if it comes on immediately or after 25 miles of driving. He also says you can turn the light off by removing your positive battery connection and replacing.

Although I have almost no faith in our local MBenz dealership, I am seriously concerned about unhooking the positive battery terminal based on the complexity of Sprinter 3500 chassis.

Does anybody have any advice on this situation? My guess is that the battery disconnect under the dash near the accelerator probably will not clear the code? Any idea how much repairing an exhaust gas temp sensor could be? Basically I am trying to get it fixed without going to local MBenz dealer or if I have to go to them, I want to be able to fend off any unreasonable efforts at upcharging...I have been down that road with them before.
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The battery disconnect under the dash near the accelerator would work just fine. That's why it's so accessible. Disconnect it for about 15 minutes.

Other suggestions: Get an ODB reader such as a ScanGauge and clear it yourself.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks very much for this quick reply. Life saver!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
Mtcsatx

If it does need replacement check out u tube
Mtcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same issue. Drained and replaced def but no change. Did the disconnect work for you?
Mikefpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Mtcsatx

You need to take that code to the mercedes dealer and have them show you which sensor it is. Invest in a 17mm line wrench and you can either replace it or try cleaning it. I had to do this on my dodge diesel and the engine light went out by itself. I haven't had any problems with our navion yet but I plan on buying a code reader just to be ready. Good luck
Mtcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There are two issues going here...DEF light and the EGT sensor code. On the EGT code, I found a friend who had a code reader, so I shut off the error code, and filled up the tank with good diesel fuel. (I suspected that I had filled up with some bad diesel.) I have subsequently drivern 100 miles on a short weekend trip and the check engine light has not come back on. I also had the problem of filling up with DEF after the light came on and then being told I had to take it to Mbenz to have the error message removed. There is a post in here somewhere about how to get that DEF light to turn off that did not require a code reader. I cannot seem to find it but I think if you search for DEF you will.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just found the post on the DEF light---from Roger and Mary--after you refill the DEF tank, turn the ignition key to the start position and leave it there. The light should reset. You may also get another DEF warning then but it went away with mine.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks so much. I’ll try that. I did drain and refill the def tank as the prior owners had not driven it more than four hundred miles in two years. So thought that might be an issue. Haven’t driven it since then so I’ll try to get the engine light off and see what happpens.
Mikefpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light