Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 24V View jump start connection point charging

When we cannot get on the road, I can only charge my batteries 8 hours at my house per HOA rules. Then have to go back to storage lot/no power. Sometimes I can get a 24 hour period. My concern is the chassis battery which as we all know is a bit difficult to get to. The Sprinter operator manual has a small statement that you can charge your chassis battery using the jump-start connection point under the hood.

Anybody had any luck with this? What kind of charger might be best? The battery is the original and hovers around 12.4 volts on average so I need to be able to get a bulk charge on in 8 hours without damaging anything.

And, yes, I know it is time to replace this battery but I would still like to get another year out of it if possible.

Also, I tried to read the other charging threads and got overwhelmed with the technicals....I never did real well with studying juice...so thanks for going easy on a real juice neophyte.
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If the cigarette lighter has power all the time use a dash solar panel so in storage it gets charged. Assuming it's outside. My chassis battery was toast. Replaced then did the trick-l-stat from the house to keep it up.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The chassis battery is an AGM. It will go a long time between charges without dropping below 12.2 V, which seems to be it's happy place when stored. Yes, you can charge using the underhood jumper posts or, you can use the 'always hot' accessory plug in the lower center dash. Or, you can use the chassis battery disconnect near the accelerator pedal. READ and UNDERSTAND the manual before using it.)

Both of our Sprinter RVs didn't have a problem sitting for 6 -8 weeks. Just be certain the Coach Electrical is OFF and for insurance, the "coach-chassis' power switch for the dash entertainment/GPS/radio is set to coach.

Learn to use and understand the One Place gadget. "Battery" will allow you to check both battery sets for State of Charge. Get a SoC graphic for lead acid batteries as a reference and post it near the One Place gadget. When you enter the coach, turn the Master Coach ON and go directly to the One Place and check the SoC for reference. After charging, next to last thing is to check the SoC. Last thing to do is OFF the Master switch standing on the ground facing the coach. Hot Tip: leave an overhead light on in the coach at the doorway to remind you to turn the coach master off. Light off = Master Coach OFF.

Not that you asked....

IME, the life expectancy of the OEM Varta chassis battery is about 3 years. Plan on proactively replacing it.....

Being a Crow, I'm often contrarian. So, I'm not an advocate of plug in and forget charging. I've ruined more batteries by prolonged charging/maintaining. Fancy chargers/maintainers are great but the batteries can't handle prolonged or constant charging no matter the charger. Better to charge them up periodically and treat them to a rare, short maintainence cycle. Reason: today's battery is not your Grand Pap's battery. They are lighter, have less materials, and for their size have much better performance. Grandpap's battery in his '54 DeSoto could take all kinds of abuse for a long time. Today's won't.

Last...if WBGO has held the course, they are still using a Progressive Dynamics PD-9245 converter charger. It is a good one. Look it up on line and learn how it works and nominal charging times. If you have a 9245, consider getting the control pendant so you can tell what it is doing and control it.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Add a modest solar charging system. This series of articles may help: https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Battery charging

I use the Mercedes- Benz trickle charger that is made specially to keep the cab battery topped up without harming the battery. The part number is A0009822921 and should cost around $110 or so. I regularly have it connected via the jump start connections under the hood, and drop the power cord through down below the engine and connect it to an extension cord to either the RV external power plug or an external plug. I have pictures if you want.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging