Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2011 Winnebago 24G Need suggestions for replacing the EOM Varta battery in my motorho

Need suggestions for replacing the OEM Varta battery in my motorhome
Have a 2011 Winnebago 24G View with a sprint chassis and a mercedes 3500 diesel engine. This unit does not have an auxillary battery but has house booster system. I cannot find a Varta battery and wonder what others are using to replace their factory installed batteries.

Also, has anyone one used a memory saver when replacing the battery?

Thanks!
cookiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did you remove the house batteries from under the step? It's the chassis battery you are trying to replace (the one under the cab floor by the driver's seat)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago-View-A[1].png
Views:	147
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	171298  

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Reply to Tim

I don't know if this is how I rely to a message but I hope this will work. Yes, I am asking the question about replacing the chassis battery under the seat rather than the house battery. Thank you for asking form the clarification. Hope this helps others to respond to my question.
cookiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

This should get you where you need to be but if not let us know;

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hey that Crow is awesome!!! Battery is an H8-AGM.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Hey that Crow is awesome!!! Battery is an H8-AGM.
Yes. You can use a memory saver.

An inexpensive memory saver using a 9V square battery like u use in fire alarms is fine...

Plug the accessory type plug of the memory saver into the "always hot" accessory port below the pull out cup holders in the center of the dash.

Not that you asked..... That ACC plug may be used to trickle charge the chassis battery with a small amperage charger maintainer.

Always hot ACC >>>>>> charger/maintainer w/ ACC adapter >>>>> 110C AC source in coach powered by shore or generator mains.

It is possible.....with great care to not deplete the coach batteries!!!!! by using the inverter.

Always hot ACC >>>>>> charger >>>>>>> 110V AC coach outlet on coach inverter circuit.

And don't forget.....You can....in an emergency (like being attacked by Orcs ) slave the coach battery bank to the chassis battery for an "jump" start. Switch marked BOOST on dash below the entertainment center.

Push and hold the BOOST switch ON. Insert key and start the engine while holding BOOST switch ON. Release on engine start.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #7
2016 View 24J Profile

I would suggest using a Varta battery to replace your chassis battery. Do use a memory saving power supply which can be applied in a number of ways. I keep my memory alive through the OBD portal under the dashboard on the left. Always remember to remove the ground terminal first but be aware that the positive terminal will be alive and must be held clear of ground contact
Old 03-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemon View Post
Need suggestions for replacing the OEM Varta battery in my motorhome
Have a 2011 Winnebago 24G View with a sprint chassis and a mercedes 3500 diesel engine. This unit does not have an auxillary battery but has house booster system. I cannot find a Varta battery and wonder what others are using to replace their factory installed batteries.

Also, has anyone one used a memory saver when replacing the battery?

Thanks!
Group-24 batteries I’m guessing.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmonger View Post
Group-24 batteries I’m guessing.

Again..... is an H8-AGM

(Actually a Group 49)..... but H8-AGM is what fits a Sprinter)

VARTA is the OEM Sprinter battery. I've not had luck with them as both have gone south with in about 3 years. Replaced with a VENTED H8-AGM from Auto Zone. You want this one:

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/duralast-gold-battery/832331_772066_25698

*** 900 Cold Cranking Amps (1000 Cranking Amps) ***. 150 reserve minutes. Warranty consists of 3 years free replacement plus 2 years prorated. Battery is vented to outside of vehicle. (

OE Exact Fit

1. AZ is nearly everywhere. Got a problem. You can Google the nearest store.

2. They have a pretty good warranty as far as 100% replacement and long term pro-rated replacement.

3. You want Acid Glass Mat (AGM) technology because that is what Mother put in the thing. She has reasons.... It's a starter/chassis battery not an deep cycle thingie. AGMs hold there charge for a very long time vs conventional lead acid jobs.

4. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10

5. AAP will not install because it's inside the cab. So a DIY job. You will need two people to safely remove and install the battery. They are just over 50lbs and awkward to handle in a small space. (Unless you are on first name basis with a chiropractor!)

Tags
winnebago, battery