Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

"Blow out water" winterizing on 2017 ERA ?

Have a 2017 ERA 170A. I want to blow out the water and am asking for tips...on doing that. I plan on draining the Truma-Combi after draining the water system. Do I need to do anything thing else to the Truma besides draing the 2.5 gal of water out of it?
Any other things involved with blowing out water? Manual says not to go over 30psi., ok. Thanks,
Eric
AKAdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It is better to start with a nearly empty fresh water tank. Easier to run water out the faucets and hose bib than out the drain from the tank.

Follow the manual instructions carefully. There is a sequence for draining the Truma, the low point drains and using the pressure release valve and bypass.

Remove the sink water filter and replace with the dummy plug first.

Be sure to open both outside hose bib faucets with the hose attached and no spray nozzle attached. Lower the hose end.

Be sure to blow out BOTH the hot and cold sides of the shower, sink and lav faucets. Also detach the shower head and lower the hose to the floor -- same with the toilet sprayer. Hold the flush lever while blowing out the sprayer.

Remember to press the check valve on the city water inlet to allow for vacuum release to gravity drain as much as possible before attaching the blowout fitting.

I use an 8 gallon California Air Tools compressor filled to 120 psi capacity and regulated to 30-40 psi. Takes several "recharges" of the compressor to achieve the time recommended. I run it through a blowout fitting on the city water connection. I like to do the blowout for for the recommended time, let things sit awhile and repeat.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

ALSO -- be sure to put red stuff (RV anti freeze) in all the drains and to run some into the macerator pump.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks White Cloud. I have figured out how to winterize by "blow out" method on everything except the Therma Combi unit. Instructions in the Winnebago are not clear.
Should I blow out the Combi by opening each valve or all of them at once? There is the pressure release valve, another yellow handle valve and four other valves....
Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Pretty sure Truma does not recommend blowing out the Truma unit. Their on line video and documents (that I have reviewed) both state not to use air when winterizing the Truma. Simply draining it properly is sufficient.
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey sheral...thank you for the reply...glad I haven't winterized yet!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I changed from air purge to, now I drain ,then purge with rv antifreeze, takes about 1.5 gal, less than 1 hour time. No oil concerns from ac.

Tags
water, winter