Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile about to buy a Winnebago Minnie 2102DS

I'm so new I don't even have an RV yet but I've done my homework and will be getting a new Minnie 2101DS in August. The problem is the local dealer has one for $4,500 more than an identical unit I found in Iowa (767 miles away, no problem) and $3,150 more than 4 units in Boise, ID (950 miles away).

Looks like I'll be making friends with some Iowa natives about the end of July, driving out to get that one and breaking it in on the 767 mile trip home. Actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Question one is should I just leave the local dealer out of it? I hate to not shop locally, but I don't think the local dealer is big enough to come anywhere close to the other deals I see out there. If I don't buy locally, I might be reluctant to bring my new unit in for advice and service in the future...

Question two is: there is a long distance trust issue involved here; can I make a long distance purchase work for me?

Any advice is appreciated
jnkdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would show that info to the local dealer, tell him you would rather give him the business but can't afford to pay that much extra, and see what happens! Just be prepared to have difficulty getting it serviced if you buy out of town!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

:welcome: Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

jnkdmac, Talk to the service manager. A lot of service departments are separator profit centers and like the extra business. When we ordered our coach the local dealer is a Winnebago dealer but did not carry the Adventurer line and was going to have to go through another dealer to process the order. I talked to the service manager and he said warranty work was not a problem if I bought it at another dealer. I did remove the selling dealers decals before I took it in the first time.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Talk to the local salesman and shoot them your offer. Tell them that you would really like to buy local, but like everyone, you're on a budget. Offer them $4,500 less than they are wanting to sell it for. The worst that can happen is that they say no! The best that can happen is that they accept your offer, or perhaps offer to meet you part way. Just make sure you are prepared to follow through if they say yes!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Be sure to check the actual "out the door" price for the dealers in Iowa and Idaho as internet prices do not always include destination and/or prep charges. I would also share the info with the local dealer and give them a chance to make a counter offer.

As to service after the sale, it depends on the dealer. I took my Minnie to a different dealer (Avalon RV, Medina, OH) for a recall service, and they were fantastic. So, it may or may not be an issue.

Good luck in getting the best price!

How close are you to the factory in Middlebury, Indianna? They could always take care of any warranty issues. They were great when I had an issue with a bar fridge and wanted a ladder installed.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Out of town purchase

I have some experience in this area. We live in Texas - didn't catch your state. I would advise (and I will do this if I do it again):

** Camp for a week or two nearby the dealer if you can arrange the time. Try everything, try heater, a/c, water lines. Check for leaks. Hopefully that time would also involve a nice rain down pour! Check everything for functionality. Make sure you are well aware of all functions. I have found that dealers you purchase tend to take better care of you than other dealers (at least that has been my experience).

** When we bought ours from a Louisiana dealer we of course had to take it for inspection in Texas right away! Now Texas has eliminated the inspection sticker but not the inspection so I don't know how that would work. Whatever State you are from you might check on that issue.

** If you do go to Iowa to pick it up the factory is in Forrest City so if you have issues that would not be too far from anyplace in Iowa. We had lots of initial issues and ended up taking it to the factory. (some poster said the factory is in Indiana? I know the main factory is in Iowa but maybe the TT factory is different?)

We have a Minnie Winnie 31KP. We now love the unit and ready to leave again soon to the mountains of Arkansas.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkdmac View Post
I'm so new I don't even have an RV yet but I've done my homework and will be getting a new Minnie 2101DS in August. The problem is the local dealer has one for $4,500 more than an identical unit I found in Iowa (767 miles away, no problem) and $3,150 more than 4 units in Boise, ID (950 miles away).

Looks like I'll be making friends with some Iowa natives about the end of July, driving out to get that one and breaking it in on the 767 mile trip home. Actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Question one is should I just leave the local dealer out of it? I hate to not shop locally, but I don't think the local dealer is big enough to come anywhere close to the other deals I see out there. If I don't buy locally, I might be reluctant to bring my new unit in for advice and service in the future...

Question two is: there is a long distance trust issue involved here; can I make a long distance purchase work for me?

n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
I have some experience in this area. We live in Texas - didn't catch your state. I would advise (and I will do this if I do it again):

** If you do go to Iowa to pick it up the factory is in Forrest City so if you have issues that would not be too far from anyplace in Iowa. We had lots of initial issues and ended up taking it to the factory. (some poster said the factory is in Indiana? I know the main factory is in Iowa but maybe the TT factory is different?)
Gary
Winnebago Towable division is located in a different location (Middlebury, IN) as I mentioned previously. They bought the Sunnybrook factory and they do warranty work and other work on Winnebago towables at that facility.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
It's good to see you here, good luck with your choice.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

about to buy a Winnebago Minnie 2102DS

I'm about ready to do the same thing. I'm located in California and have a couple of large dealerships that handle Winnebago TTs but couldn't find the color and interior we wanted on 2015 2201DS locally. the 2016's had the light wood interiors which I didn't like. I finally found one in Eugene, Boise and Iowa but the Eugene and Iowa units sold before I could make an offer. I need to check to verify that all the costs (except taxes/license) are included in the $22K offer that was excepted, thanks SCBWR. I do not believe there will be a problem with servicing at the local dealers since they would like our business when we trade up. Picking it up July 1 and will let you know how it goes.
DrHike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Welcome!
I agree with what's already been said. Go in and talk with them seriously that you would rather give them your business, but they need to come way down.
They are banking that you will not go that far.

Also, make sure there is not also a sales tax advantage to be had.
If you can have the dealer out of state meet you half way with the unit, then the "delivery out of state" might allow you to avoid sales tax.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Got the 2106DS Minnie in Jefferson Iowa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkdmac View Post

Drove to Iowa and picked up the 2106DS last week. Had a great time at Harrison RV Land and took off to points west; Sioux City, IA, Kennebec, SD, Custer, SD, Douglas, WY, Loveland, CO and back home. Everything worked well, we didn't break anything, hardly argued at all!

Thanks to everyone on this site for all of the helpful information on these great little trailers. We're looking forward to getting Mac's Micro Minnie up in the Colorado mountains after the Labor day rush.

Bye for now.

Ken & Deb
Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear it went well. Ours has been serving us well for over two years!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Great to hear that your pick up and maiden voyage was a success! I would suggest that you check any plumbing fittings under the kitchen sink area. I had a couple that loosened up during the first couple of trips and then finally started leaking, so it's worth taking time to check them and avoid any water problems.

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Good advice...
Old 09-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Bought out of state

I was looking for a Mine around 21 feet long and found in my state I could only find the 2016 that was 6" inches narrower than the 2015 2101 FBS (21' 11") that I found at Dennis Dillon in Idaho. I lived in Boise about 8 years ago and bought from them in the past. The price was over $4,500.00 less that the 2016 here so I bought it right away and had it delivered to us on 8/22. I wanted to buy local but they did not have what I wanted. I wanted the 7'6" width and liked the price a lot better (I like the cherry wood better than the off white interior). We took it out last weekend for the first trip and everything worked except the fresh water wasn't as full as the gauge indicated but we were headed home so no problem, but will have to determine a way to know the actual fresh tank, maybe a flow gauge when filling. Anyway I love the Red Mine and can't wait to go camping again.
MT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago