Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

winterizing adventurer - moisture absorbing dessicant

I just got done reading the RV Doctor article on winterizing the RV. This is the first time I have read about this technique. It suggests putting moisture absorbing dessicant in each large area of the rv.

Questions:

Does anyone do this? Does it really help? What can I use to absorb the moisture? I throw some baking soda in the refrig and freezer.

How much should I use? I guess too much wont hurt it in storage.

Thanks

Dave
99Adven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have never done it, maybe just a box of Baking Soda in the Fridge, I am sure it can't hurt, our Rig never smells damp or musty.....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Adven View Post
I just got done reading the RV Doctor article on winterizing the RV. This is the first time I have read about this technique. It suggests putting moisture absorbing dessicant in each large area of the rv.

Questions:

Does anyone do this? Does it really help? What can I use to absorb the moisture? I throw some baking soda in the refrig and freezer.

How much should I use? I guess too much wont hurt it in storage.

Thanks

Dave
i used a gadget called dri-z-air when my rv was in storage in the winter before we began living in it full time. this stuff really works. i have 2 of the ''classic'' models. i got mine at wally world.

DRI-Z-AIRŪ DEHUMIDIFIER - MOISTURE ABSORBER - MADE IN THE USA
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We've used a product called DampRid and I can tell you that yes it really works! You'll be amazed at how much water that thing accumulates.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

In my case I have never used anything nor been concerned about it. The air in Nebraska is so dry in the winter that we spend a lot of time just trying to keep our skin from cracking, and we've got humidifiers running all the time. Never had a problem by not doing it, no mildew, no musty smell, so it works for me.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Dessicant in winter storage

Thanks all, very good suggestions. I don't think I've had this problem in the last 4 winters I have owned this rv but thought it might be time. So far the winter in St Louie has been extremely mild for January but it can get quite cold but not for too long.

A might try something because ice will form on the inside windows when the temp drops and that moisture is coming from somewhere. That water goes somewhere once it melts. I generally put towels at the bottom of the windows.

I'll report back this spring on how it all did!!

Thanks and always make today your best day ever!!
99Adven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I too use the Dri-Z-Air product. I use it in both my RV and my boat. 1 in front cabin of RV and one in the bedroom. I open all the cabinet doors, drawers, closets etc. so that I get circulation.

Personally, I swear by the product. One thing though, is to check on it a couple of times over the winter. The storage pot at the bottom can fill over the winter (depending on weather) and the liquid is very caustic. I put the whole assembly in a plastic bucket. This insures never an accident from overflow and gives me something to carry it out of the RV so I don't spill it.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture