Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterization 2010 Journey

Can anyone give me any help on winterizing my 2010 Journey 40L. I have read the air and antifreeze methods in the manual. However, I have been told by a dealer of another major brand that it is easier to just bypass the water heater (drained) and put about 5 gallons of RV antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank and run until everything runs pink. Grey and black also drained. Will require flushing and sanitizing in the spring. Anyone know about this technique? Sure seems easier as I take it in and out of winter storage often.
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

For the most part it's correct. You have two somewhat separate items going on... as you have said, pretty much documented in your manual.

First, the water heater.... it needs to be drained. Then switch the bypass so that you don't waste 10 gals of pink stuff filling it needlessly.

The freshwater lines need to be kept from freezing... either (or both) you blow out the lines with air or you flush pink through them until they run pink at the faucets. Your RV has an input hose at the pump where you don't need to put the pink in the fresh water tank... you drain the water tank and then stick the hose from the pump into a gallon of pink and run it into the system directly. I always do that even though I use the blow-out method because there is almost always some water left in the pump and by sucking some pink its protected.

Personally I'd say the dealer method would be ok depending on your location and how cold it gets over winter... my big concern would be that you need to make sure the pink doesn't get diluted (raising freezing point) with water left in the system so you'd want to fully drain the tank and open all the faucets first.

Don't forget to toss some pink down all your drains... there are traps that hold water and should be protected with antifreeze too. And if you have them, your washer and fridge icemaker lines also need protecting.

Just my opinion and method... others will do it differently.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ed, thanks for the reply. My plan was to drain fresh, grey, black, ice maker and lines. Drain and bypass the water heater. That's quick and easy. Then, put about 5 gal. in the fresh tank. Run a short cycle in the washer and run each faucet. Add some pink to all sinks and toilet. Would that make me good to go? Am I missing anything?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here is a thread that covers it for most MH's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You'd be good to go with your plan. Not sure I see the advantage of putting 5 gal of pink in the water tank and running the pump versus using the winterizing hose on the pump to suck directly from the jug (probably only need a couple gals that way) but either way would work.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have winterized all 3 ways. For my 2003 Horizon, 1st year, used the air method, worked fine. 2nd year, used the sucking in pink from the winterization hose, that worked fine. 3rd year, for some reason, couldn't get the sucking to work, it was getting cold, I was in a hurry, so I poured the pink into the tank, and ran all the faucets. Also worked fine.

Now I've tried a 4th way, by living full-time in my 2010 Journey, worked fine, but it was cold. This year, my plan is to try a 5th way, head south, and be warm.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of the help on this. I actually like the "5th option" the best. We are heading to Arizona the middle of November and getting out of these Kansas winters.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

By the way, the reason I am thinking about using 4-5 gallons in the fresh water tank is because of the combo Washer/dryer. I can't get pink to circulate through the washer lines and pump without using shore power and running a short cycle. That is why it takes more antifreeze. Any other ideas for a washer? The Splendide instructions just don't seem to work as described.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Don't forget to remove the undersink water filter element and replace it with the plug before you start
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I use the pick up tube by the water pump on my 07 Journey. I use about 3 gallons to winterize the lines and another quart in the washer/dryer, then the rest of the gallon in the sink and shower p-traps.

For the washer/dryer, disconnect the water hoses from the faucets and drain as much fresh water as you can get out of them. Then run the a/f out of the faucets. I use a short piece of hose connected to the faucets into a bucket to not make a mess. When you get the pink a/f coming out, shut off each faucet and reconnect the lines.

Then put a quart of a/f in the washer/dryer drum, turn the dial to "Spin" and run the washer for about 3 minutes. All there is to it, very easy.

Don't forget the ice maker line, too. Freeze and break that line and you'll be in for a lot of "fun" replacing that.

It takes a while to get the antifreeze taste out of the water in the spring, I don't think I'd want to put 5 gallons in the water tank, it would take longer to clear out the lines.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefleming View Post
By the way, the reason I am thinking about using 4-5 gallons in the fresh water tank is because of the combo Washer/dryer. I can't get pink to circulate through the washer lines and pump without using shore power and running a short cycle. That is why it takes more antifreeze. Any other ideas for a washer? The Splendide instructions just don't seem to work as described.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Of course you have to have 120v to winterize the washer/dryer, but why you think that requires more antifreeze puzzles me. I have never had a problem winterizing my system, including Splendede WD, using the pickup tube.

My coach takes about 3 1/2 gallons for everything including the traps.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

ReM the outdoor shower(s) .... and I always run the icemaker to get pink cubes just to make sure the supply line above the switch / valve also is protected with antifreeze
Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Do not forget to take the under sink water filter out before you start, but if you follow the manual it is covered in there
rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey