Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winter tips for travel and camping in a 2003 Journey

Planning to leave WV in January, traveling to Southwest. I know we have a heat duct to freshwater tank, and black and grey tanks are above that, so it seems that will be OK. Any tips for plumbing protection specific to the Journey 32 T? Was thinking some type of heater to the water cabinet would be needed.
All comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
RandyMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have traveked in bitter cold weather below zero. Ran the lp furnace(s) even while driving in freezing weather to keep the basement heated. When parked I had an auto trouble light in the water bay and one also in the basement compartment where water pump is. I had wireless thermometers in each of those bays and temps stayed in 50's or high 40's.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

hi Randy

one the things we have - and glad we have it as it has proven very useful - is a heated water hose. we bought ours at an agricultural store.

the hose has an electric wire inside the rubber hose. if the temp is going to freezing (or below) you simply plug in the hose and the electric wire provides enough heat that your hose does not freeze up.

yes, some people just disconnect the water hose if the temp is going to freezing or below and use the water in the storage tank, but we like this method better.

cheers,
pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the ideas
RandyMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

RandyMWV, When we had our 03 Journey the problem I had was with the water pump. There is not a heat duct going to the water pump area. When driving the engine keeps things good and warm. When parked I used a 60W drop light next to the pump.
We have camped at Breckenridge at 7 degs while snow sking.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had an '04 Journey, and was rather sad to find that I didn't think enough about keeping the water bay above freezing. I ended up with a poopsicle at the sewer drain valves. The pressure forced the rubber Fernco couplings open, and the result was not pretty. The repair was nothing more than removing the offensive frozen waste and reassembling everything. I discovered this, in the dark, in NC, as we were migrating south. After a less than pleasant wrestling match with the couplings, getting soaked in ......... and spending an hour on my knees in the 40* darkness of a poorly lit campsite, I made a note to not let it happen again.
Slate Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Run View Post
I had an '04 Journey, and was rather sad to find that I didn't think enough about keeping the water bay above freezing. I ended up with a poopsicle at the sewer drain valves. The pressure forced the rubber Fernco couplings open, and the result was not pretty. The repair was nothing more than removing the offensive frozen waste and reassembling everything. I discovered this, in the dark, in NC, as we were migrating south. After a less than pleasant wrestling match with the couplings, getting soaked in ......... and spending an hour on my knees in the 40* darkness of a poorly lit campsite, I made a note to not let it happen again.

slate... like many things in life experience, we learned it the hard way
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, journey, travel, winter