Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winter camping

Hello all. Newbie to site and have a ? for the group.

I spent first weekend in my Vista 36f and it got down into teens.

When i woke up and was getting ready to hit the road I found the inside of windshield and side glass frosted up.
Is this something I can expect routinely or did i fail to do something that would of prevented this.

Bruce
Gentracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You did fine! Imagine warm, humid interior air meeting the cold, dry air on the exterior - it happens to all of us. You could consider some better insulating shields, drapes or shades on the windshield - that helps also to reduce the interior heat loss. Some folks also put a fan blowing across the windshield to help.

Otherwise - start the engine and run the defroster while all warms up...
Old 11-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have dual pane windows so only have to deal with that on the fronts. Don't want to run the fans all night so what I do is put that bubble wrap type insulation, 1/4" thick, comes in rolls around 3 feet wide and 25 feet long, with the aluminum on both sides, up in the front windows. Then close the curtains over them. That usually does the trick.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
NXR
Winnebago Owner

How are you heating the interior? If you're at a campground where the electric is part of the fee consider running a space heater up front by the driver's area. Our driver's area, even with the shade closed and dual pane windows, is noticeably colder than the main and rear areas. Much of that cold seems to be coming from the step area. The sides of the steps are uninsulated metal. I've been considering making some kind of cover or support so I can move the entranceway rug over the steps for the night.

If you do not have a cheapo weather station consider getting one. It will show you the inside humidity as well as temperature. When my DW takes a shower and does not turn the rear vent fan on the inside humidity goes up 3%. Doing some cooking with water, etc., all of that can raise the humidity a lot and make that and other problems worse.

FWIW,
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
2002 Journey WPK36GD

This is a good practice. At first we tried to put the shields upfront and on the window side of the curtainand it worked to a degree. So I think the bubble shield is a great addition. The inside of the coach is usually much higher in humidity than "outside" and condense and then freeze withut hte bubble insulation.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our 'cheap fix' is to roll up a couple of towels and place them at the bottom edge across the windshield. This keeps any condensation that may form and drip down from finding it's way into the windshield frame that would ultimately create corrosion.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Last winter our windshield suddenly cracked from the center post outward in both directions. Insurance covered it but when they replaced the glass panels on both sides obvious was the rust at the center post put about a 1/4" stress on the rest of the bonded windshield. they scraped everything off and did a quick rustoleum paint job so it may last 5 years before it happens again. Beready and aware that this will happen for sure.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter