Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnie Diesel Pusher Plans?

Did anyone else get a letter from Winnebago management on what's going on with their Class A diesel pusher plans? I got one that explained that they are now creating a unique build area in Forrest City IA dedicated to pushers, but it will take 18 months to complete. Junction City OR will only be support for now. They have built extra Horizons and put them into the distribution stream short term to tide them over. Forza's are built on the standard line currently so are not affected. They claim the new line will include the best improvements available from auto manufacturing. They also mention Freightliner updates and adding additional engineering support. They close the letter mentioning the Newmar acquisition saying that they will explain those plans later.

Looks like they are trying to stay in the pusher business and stay competitive but they are behind short term.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I got the letter as well even though I have a Winnebago Class A gas.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

I haven't received the letter but hope I do. That's exciting news and a surprise to me. A very good surprise.

I see them pushing the Horizon right now and I wondered where they came from since those were only built in Oregon. So, that answers that question, too.

Starting a new line, in a new facility, with new employees and new chassis and coach designs will take a good long chunk of time. So, I'm guessing they wont have anything thing new until 2021. Shame.

We love our Adventurer and the only thing we'd change is the Ford F53 Chassis. If we could pick up the body and plop it down on a DP chassis we'd be set for "life." I've put all the money I care to into the F53 Suspension. Nothing seems to be able to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. So, we'll just suffer the driving part and enjoy the living and using part of the motorhome.

I'm turning 70 this spring so I only see about 10 more years of this lifestyle. If I was going to change to a DP I'd have to do so within the next year or so and that pretty much means a Newmar or Tiffin. As contented as my wife and I are with our current coach, AND being retired, I doubt we'll be in the market for a new RV.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Team

I also received the letter, even though I have a gasser! Maybe they also think I have a 3 year warranty? :-) Gormleys, you got it right. A new factory for pushers, focused on bringing more auto manufacturing techniques to RVs, demanding more quality from third party manufacturers, and newly designed pusher line in 18 months. They also explained why they decided to discontinue manufacturing in Oregon...basically distance between design and engineering too far. They also said they would look for “natural” synergies with Newmar. Looks like a lot of work ahead of them but a potentially bright future. I hope they do really well.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We love our Adventurer and the only thing we'd change is the Ford F53 Chassis. If we could pick up the body and plop it down on a DP chassis we'd be set for "life." I've put all the money I care to into the F53 Suspension. Nothing seems to be able to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. So, we'll just suffer the driving part and enjoy the living and using part of the motorhome.
Ditto for me! While hopefully we have a few more years of RVing (I’m 57), we can wait several years before our next RV.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
Site Team

I received the letter today as well. It’s a wise move to update current owners about the path forward. I hate to say it but their whole Oregon plan was the opposite of a wise move. A waste of time, millions of dollars and market share - not to mention the hopes and dreams of the good people of Junction City, OR.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:00 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I got the letter also even though I am only a prospective buyer yet.
I was pretty impressed that even though I don't own a Winn. product yet they sent a letter explaining their future plans.
I think the acquisition of Newmar will be a huge benefit to both lines which will benefit the consumer.
Newmar & Winnebago= NewWinn.
That is excellent communication. Lack of communication is one of the worse problems in this world.
I feel even better now about buying a Winn. product.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
Just Ama

I too got the letter. My 'only' in my head reply was to this: "They also said they would look for “natural” synergies with Newmar." I don't see any way that is going to happen. Newmar coach has been a family owned business like Tiffin. They have had their cabinetry built by the Amish, and it is truly beautiful workmanship. They don't make a ton of them each year, so in effect, they are 'custom made'. To take all that and try and put it on an assembly line like Winnebago products have been forever is like them trying to take over the Country Coach facilities and build a product like Country Couch did. Not 'gonna' work. Other than that, it was a nice informative letter.
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLady View Post
"They also said they would look for “natural” synergies with Newmar." I don't see any way that is going to happen.
Purchasing for Newmar RVs is pretty much the same as for Winnebago RVs:
Chassis
Slide mechanisms
Refridgerators
Washer/Dryers
Infotainment Systems
TVs
Levelers
Inverters
Batteries
Water heaters
Heaters
Air Conditioners
Flexsteel Furniture
Stoves
Microwaves
Toilets
TV Antennas
And... I'm sure the list goes on.

Buying in larger quantities and warehousing similar systems, etc are all possible with both manufacturers. Helping with price negotiations, shipping, distribution, and more.

That's pretty easy to see there is plenty of room for collaboration.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
Just Ama

That is true... but this is also:
https://www.newmarcorp.com/why-newmar/company-history/

We hovered between buying a Winnebago and a Newmar. We came out of a Tiffin Phaeton that we loved. Hubby wanted to scale down in size and get away from Diesels. We owned a Country Couch prior to our Tiffin, and before that a Dynasty and before that two Vogues. We are far from being unhappy with our Winnebago. I just don't see the quality in them that we had in any of our other RV's. I just would hate to see the quality we saw in Newmar go down because they start mass producing them.
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Quality

No letter received, but I will not buy another Winnebago product. After two coaches that came out of the factory with poor workmanship and atrocious dealer support, La Mesa RV, we will not buy another Winnebago product. Aside from the poor manufacturing quality, we may have felt differently had the dealer taken genuine interest in fixing "out of the box quality."

In fairness, the Freightliner drive train is a dream to drive. Lots of power to pull a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 with no issues.

The Forza 38F we currently own will be dumped as soon as we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Did anyone else get a letter from Winnebago management on what's going on with their Class A diesel pusher plans? I got one that explained that they are now creating a unique build area in Forrest City IA dedicated to pushers, but it will take 18 months to complete. Junction City OR will only be support for now. They have built extra Horizons and put them into the distribution stream short term to tide them over. Forza's are built on the standard line currently so are not affected. They claim the new line will include the best improvements available from auto manufacturing. They also mention Freightliner updates and adding additional engineering support. They close the letter mentioning the Newmar acquisition saying that they will explain those plans later.

Looks like they are trying to stay in the pusher business and stay competitive but they are behind short term.
Papa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Got the letter from the current Winn diesel planner. Basically says nothing imminent but lots planned. I suspect the diesel future will be much bigger and will be a high level executive decision as to how Newmar and Winnebago lines will be marketed and integrated. Find the observation that another large facility is under construction in Forest City somewhat confusing as just a couple of years ago Winnebago declared they had depleted the local labor market so you have to wonder if their staffing plans are thought thru. In any event it will be interesting to see the evolution. Winnebago have done extremely well with their Sprinter and Class B products so obviously did their homework to dominate those sectors.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Wish they'd open a factory service shop in the Ca. region someday soon. The Ore. one is great but it's a long drive. I got the letter too. There's a nice video of NIRVC's major stakeholders explaining the Newmar acquisition. I don't have a link but saw it on You Tube.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLady View Post
That is true... but this is also:

We hovered between buying a Winnebago and a Newmar. We came out of a Tiffin Phaeton that we loved. Hubby wanted to scale down in size and get away from Diesels. We owned a Country Couch prior to our Tiffin, and before that a Dynasty and before that two Vogues. We are far from being unhappy with our Winnebago. I just don't see the quality in them that we had in any of our other RV's. I just would hate to see the quality we saw in Newmar go down because they start mass producing them.
Somebody has really puffed a lot of wind in your sails about Newmar - They are mass produced as fast as the large diesel Winnegabo's, in fact I would bet there are more Newmar Dutch Stars on the road than Winnebago Tours. And Amish built cabinetry - cmon - that's just because they are built in Indiana! Every slap built trailer company out of Elkhart and Nappanee gets bragging rights to the Amish as well. Winnebago has a fine cabinetry manufacturing company division on-site that builds beautiful cabinets, but they aren't Amish, they are just Iowans

As with any coach - it depends on the grade or level you buy. Winnebago's top of the line tended to end about in the middle of the Newmar line and Winnebago preferred it that way as they felt there was no real market share in King Air space - maybe they were right - but now its theirs anyway.

Tags
diesel