Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
AndrewnPam

Winnie 2011 Ellipse Front Door & Lock

Hello - We have a new to us 2011 Itasca Ellipse 40CD.
The issue is the front door lock using the key fob. When you try and lock and unlock the front door the coach lights flash and the porch light comes on but no lock/unlock. (no noise at all) The key works. All the lower storage bays lock and unlock. I replaced the FOB battery right after we received the rig and it works with everything but the front door. The front door lock was working for about 4 months after we purchased the rig. I have cleaned the contacts on the door and coach and the look like they make good contact.

So the question is how in the heck do you open the door to get to the wires and solenoid? There are no screws or rivets apart from the few on the door lock itself. So before I start breaking things by not taking it apart right, I wanted to ask the question. Thanks in advance. Andrew
AndrewnPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am having a similar problem with my 2012 Tour, when I try to use the entry door lock switch on the passenger side or the one on the dash I don't hear anything either. I looked at the wiring diagram 177331 "Wiring Instl-Front End" on the winnebago site but can't find the wiring diagram for the 4 contact connector in the door. I'm really puzzled - tried the same things you did with the contact cleaner etc... I hope one of the others in the forum can help us.
Bob
seas2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
2014 Journey 36M

Might want to pull the connector switch mount out of the door jamb and insure the wires are all connected to their respective push button switch. Found one of mine had caught on the poorly cut hole in the frame and pulled loose. I also filed out the hole and realigned the connector mount to ensure the push buttons moved in/out freely with no binding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160707_152631_resized.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	171268  
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
AndrewnPam

Ok great that's a place to start. What if the issue is at the solenoid end?
I was wondering if the solenoid is attached to the door mech., so maybe its removal gets me to the other side. I'll report back if I make any headway...
Andrew
AndrewnPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi - Good point, I did look at the connectors, one of the leads was somewhat loose, so I crimped it and re-connected it. however still have the same issue.

Would anyone have a photo of both connectors in a door that works to post it, then I can double check my wiring setup.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Did you try something like a pencil eraser on the contacts on the door frame?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I haven't tried the eraser, but did use the electrical contact cleaner spray and wiped it off but it didn't work. I didn't get pictures of the original wiring on both sides so I think the wires may have been crossed or something from when this first happened and I tried to diagnose it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewnPam View Post
Hello - We have a new to us 2011 Itasca Ellipse 40CD.
The issue is the front door lock using the key fob. When you try and lock and unlock the front door the coach lights flash and the porch light comes on but no lock/unlock. (no noise at all) The key works. All the lower storage bays lock and unlock. I replaced the FOB battery right after we received the rig and it works with everything but the front door. The front door lock was working for about 4 months after we purchased the rig. I have cleaned the contacts on the door and coach and the look like they make good contact.

So the question is how in the heck do you open the door to get to the wires and solenoid? There are no screws or rivets apart from the few on the door lock itself. So before I start breaking things by not taking it apart right, I wanted to ask the question. Thanks in advance. Andrew
Hello Andrew. I have the same door as you. My problems with opening have been more along the line of the FOB not communicating with the coach.

My thought is to look at the parts catalog. I don't have time at this moment to go any further. Look here: DOORS & COMPARTMENTS 174073-01-XXX (This is my coach model.) You must use Internet Explorer.
Winnebago did us no favors by removing the wiring schematics from Resources. If you give customer support the wire numbers found one the contact assembly wires they MIGHT send you the wiring diagram which might include any relays in the circuit and the electrical position of the solinoide in the circuit.
I'm keeping an eye on this topic. Very good one.
Happy trails, Rick.

Tags
door