Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Via

Would like info on Via. We are thinking about down sizing from a 40' Class a. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
retiring1day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our best friends and travel buddies downsized from a 40' coach to a Via in 2010. We went on a cross country trip with them shortly after. We stopped at HWH for a set of jacks to be installed. Their fuel Milage was good as they got 13-14 towing a Saturn Vue. The biggest problem was the size of the holding tanks and the fuel tank. After two years traveling in the Via they traded this winter for a 27' Winnie Vista. They seem to be happy to have a little more room.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Steve, I was looking for something I would feel more comfortable driving. I like the class c, b+, DH likes the Via or something similar . We shall see after a few test drives.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

In December 2012 we traded our 2008 Tour for a 2013 Via. A major downsize! We will be taking our first long distance trip to GNR from Florida in a few weeks. The biggest issue is watching you weight as the carrying capacity is so much less than what we were used to. There is plenty of storage room but you can't just fill her up or you will be over weight. We haven't found the holding tanks to be a issue. We have the 25R model which has been discontinued for 2014. We have the flexsteel powered seats which are no longer available. We much prefer them over the manual seats being used now with limited height adjustment and only single arm rests. Good luck to you.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanatl View Post
In December 2012 we traded our 2008 Tour for a 2013 Via. A major downsize! We will be taking our first long distance trip to GNR from Florida in a few weeks. The biggest issue is watching you weight as the carrying capacity is so much less than what we were used to. There is plenty of storage room but you can't just fill her up or you will be over weight. We haven't found the holding tanks to be a issue. We have the 25R model which has been discontinued for 2014. We have the flexsteel powered seats which are no longer available. We much prefer them over the manual seats being used now with limited height adjustment and only single arm rests. Good luck to you.
Thanks for the info ,I appreciate your info. Please let me know how your trip goes. We are really concerned about downsizing that much at one time. Comparing the Via to the Aspect because I (dw) want to be able to drive. I am comfortable driving the truck chassis,not so sure about the sprinter chassis. No I don't drive the DP. I really think it is to much coach for the little amount of time for travel that we have,just short 2 - 3 day trips close to home.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

DW and I picked up our 2012 Via R last 4/16th. It was our first and we drove it from Forest City, Ia to Ellenton, Fl on the maiden voyage. It now has over 17,000 miles on it. At first we didn't think we needed a toad, but now a Jeep wrangler travels with us. We now take it every where we go over 200 miles. The ride is great. Having the frig and facilities is great and the mileage is as good as we could get on DW's Toyota Sequoia. We average 14.5 pulling the Jeep, but we only drive about 55. We get there slower, but a lot more relaxed when we get there. Anything over 250 and we will probably stop and spend the night before we get there.

We chose the model R because of the open space, but they have replaced it with a model P. I don't think we would have purchased a P because of the bed. We have space enough for everything we want, but...

We are considering getting a larger unit because of the fuel capacity. The tank is only 26 gallons. We are looking at a Tiffin Breeze or a Thor Palazzo. Don't know what we will do with all that space.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

This is a very interesting thread to me. We have owned our Airstream Interstate Sprinter for going on six years. Purchased a Jeep Wrangler Sport S to use as a toad in February. My LOD bumper with Roadmaster tow tabs arrived this week so hope to be finally set up for towing in a couple of weeks.

Anyhow... we are thinking about moving up in size to either a LTV Unity or a Tiffin Breeze. The DW says I have a pass to purchase one more motorhome so I need to make the right decision. It is fascinating to watch as all of us try and find the sweet spot that makes Motorhoming just right. Over at Tiffin RV network there are people that have traded from the Breeze to the Red and finally to Phaetons. Others that have gone from Sprinters to the Breeze and are happy. It's only money, but one heck of a lot of it.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Avid,

Rather than hi-jacking retiring1day's thread I started another on "Trading up from a Via" We need to let reiring1day to continue getting feedback on his Via request.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote