Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking with some interest at a 2006 Winnebago Tour. Anyone here have one, know anything about them outside of the standard literature, or have an opinion of them?

05 Allegro Bay with Workhorse
golferdhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking with some interest at a 2006 Winnebago Tour. Anyone here have one, know anything about them outside of the standard literature, or have an opinion of them?

05 Allegro Bay with Workhorse
golferdhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I researched them quite a bit. I liked everything about them except the power plant. I personally think this coach is underpowered given its weight. Loaded, this coach will weigh in around 26,000 dry, 27 - 29 fully loaded. The GVWR is 32,000 I believe. Pushing it with a Cat C7 @ 350hp/860lbs torque is just not enough in my opinion. I had a FW Discovery for a couple of years with a 330 and 860lbs. of Torque. It had the SAME engine, only the Tours engine has been chipped up to a 350. The Cat mechanics here in San Diego tell me that the engine is actually LESS efficient than the 330 was due to emissions controls. Anyhow, my Discovery was about 22,500 dry and about 23,500 loaded. I had some hard times getting up grades while pulling my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I also overheated easier so I had to drop down several gears to compensate, then REALLY go slow (15 - 25mph). I'm not saying that the 350 won't work, I just think it will struggle. It was for that reason alone we went with the Horizon/Vectra with a Cummins ISL 400/Side Radiator Configuration and IFS chassis. The difference from the Horizon/Vectra for 215k and the 185k you'll spend on a Tour was a no brainer for us. The appointments are much better and the chassis upgrade alone is worth the 30k. If you in a budget situation, then I would really consider something lighter, maybe a Meridian/Journey, before I would look at the Tour/Ellipse. Just My Opinion. I'm sure others will have theirs as well.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Just ordered, in January, a Tour. While it would be nice to have the option of 400 hp I drove a 40FD with the 350 Cat and found it to be a very nice drive with ample power for driving around in Northern Ohio. We like the FD floorplan with TV located at floor level. We compared the Tour and the Vectra. In my opinion both are excellent units. We were not prepared to go the extra dollars at this time. Tour has the higher roof the Evolution chasis minus the independent front suspension and of course the Vectra has many upgrades. I suggest you drive a Tour it was a great experience.
rjwdzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

CONGRATS on your new coach!!

The wife and I liked the FD as well,but the wife decided she'd rather have the other couch....

Welcome to the forum....Lots of information here and lots of good people too!

Having just gone through the order process myself, I'm looking forward to hearing more from you and your experiences with the new unit.

Good luck and thanks for posting!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjwdzw:
Just ordered, in January, a Tour. While it would be nice to have the option of 400 hp I drove a 40FD with the 350 Cat and found it to be a very nice drive with ample power for driving around in Northern Ohio. We like the FD floorplan with TV located at floor level. We compared the Tour and the Vectra. In my opinion both are excellent units. We were not prepared to go the extra dollars at this time. Tour has the higher roof the Evolution chasis minus the independent front suspension and of course the Vectra has many upgrades. I suggest you drive a Tour it was a great experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CONGRATS!!! on the new Tour!!. I too really like the concept which is why we went up to the Horizon. I agree, drive one first and perhaps the power will be adequate for your needs before considering or needing any more. Do you know what your final weights came out to be? That would be of interest to a prospective buyer on this thread.

Take Care and Happy Trails to you...

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have the 350 CAT in my 2005 Vectra 36RD and find the power sufficient. So I would believe that it would be fine for the TOUR also considering it is lighter than the Vectra loaded. But make sure you drive one first, because just as important as power can be the drive ability (comfort) is equally important. The independent front suspension I believe is a must. After having a straight axle before, road smoothness on the IFS makes all the difference in the world, especially on those 7 to 9 hour drive days.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with the IFS as a must...Didn't have it on the '04 Journey and there's a huge improvement on the Vectra....

Hey Ken....glad to see you're back here!!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Don't know for sure what the final weight will be only what is printed in the literature from Winnebago. Once we pick up the unit I plan on having each corner weighed prior to loading up with all the good stuff we carry along. Then we will have it weighed again to make sure everything is O.K. If not my wife may have to sacrifice some of stuff. Moving from a gas to the DP is a great handling difference. Maybe the next time we will make the streatch to the IFS. Of course my wife thinks this is the last new coach for a while.
rjwdzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">we will have it weighed again to make sure everything is O.K. If not my wife may have to sacrifice some of stuff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure she'll be amenable to that...

LOL !!! When I complained about the DW's sewing machine weight, I never heard the end of it. Now the sewing machine still rides along, but I've had to take a few less tools, firewood, and other 'good stuff', y'know...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You will see that the weights Winnebago states for the coach fall right in line with the load rating of the tire they pick. They do give you much room. When I swap out tires I will buy the next load rating higher gaining an additional 2000 lbs

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Ken, I suspect that's a BIG reason I have H's on my buggy....
Old 02-24-2006, 03:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Kenbt,

Wile this may be true as far as the load rating of the tire (adding the extra capacity), you need to confirm for sure your axle rating is beyond what your tire rating is. If it is not, it won't matter, you'll still be illegal and overloaded..

Take Care

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We bought an Ellipse 40FD in October last year. It has the CAT 350 and I have absolutely no complaints. We drove out to CAlifornia in December on I-8. We pull a Mini Cooper on all 4's. Coming up the mountians on I8 were a chalenge but nothing really bad. We maintained 50 to 55 mph. Then in early Feb. we went to Pahrump, NV from southern CA. That meant going up the Cajon Pass on I 15 - a notoriously steep grade. No real problem. We maintained 55 all the way up. The speed limit is 55 for motorhomes pulling a trailer / toad. If I would have hit the grade at 65 (my comfortable interstete speed) I suspect we would have maintained 55 - 60.

Now - having said that - I think an IFS would be the cats meow on this coach. Not having it is not a show stopper but it would be nice to have. The additional 30 - 35K dollars are questionable in my mind.

We are full timers and the floor plan of the FD made the coach feel more homey as DW says. I kept looking at other coaches for a few months after we bought this one and have come to the conclusion that there is nothing else on the market short of 500K as solid to drive and as comfortable to live in.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum Adrian and Barbara!!

Congrats on the new coach,sounds like you're well on your way!!

Never seen a Mini toad, I bet that's truly the "David and Goliath" look!!