Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Sightseer Hood Bracket Repair

The left hood bracket failed (seperated from the fiberglass) on our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N. If interested in our solution for repair see photos at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie - Hood Bracket ...
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Terry, thanks for sharing the details of your repair. We have a Sunova and I've seen the same failure of the adhesives on the front metal parts and was scratching my head as to how to repair. One question: what kind of adhesive did you use for the repairs and where did you get it?
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ron. The product that I used is a contact adhesive called "Goop" there are several versions of it I used the Automotive version. I to was at a loss about what to use so I thought that I would try that. I have not taken a trip yet but
so far the static load is holding fine & with the elongated slots I was able to adjust the hood so it easily opens/closes just with a little side pressure on the key. I bought the "Goop" at the local "Autozone" automotive parts store. The hard part was trying to make the old adhesive as flat as possible. Since you also have a Sunova; very similar to a Sightseer you may be interested in the other
changes that we have made to our coach. When you view the Hood repairs in "Picasa" click on web albums & there are several more projects that you may be interested in.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ron said..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper View Post
Terry, thanks for sharing the details of your repair. We have a Sunova and I've seen the same failure of the adhesives on the front metal parts and was scratching my head as to how to repair. One question: what kind of adhesive did you use for the repairs and where did you get it?
Ron, et al..instead of re attaching your hood with adhesive ( which is certainly a good option, tho I would use something like JB Weld) maybe you would consider bolting it back in place. When mine seperated last summer on my Adventurer, circumstances dictated bolting it back on, 2 ea. 1/4-20x 1" cap screws per side, and it has turned out to be very handy, no more working "over the hood", when doing routine maint. I know it can be otherwisw unbolted, but this is really easy. Just make certain of the hood/opening alighnment before drilling...rgr
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace89 View Post
Hi Ron. The product that I used is a contact adhesive called "Goop" there are several versions of it I used the Automotive version.
I've used Goop over the years for gluing all sorts of stuff! Sounds like a good choice. We don't have a problem with the hood hinge yet, just the metal grille piece below it that has come loose on one end and now thumps in the wind going down the road.

Your coach remodeling projects came out looking awesome. The 32" LCD TV in the front compartment is probably our next project. Have you had any problem with vibration or movement of the TV while traveling? I had in mind to hard mount the TV but using that space behind it for storage makes a lot of sense.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ron. We have put about 4,000 miles on the coach since the LCD TV Mod & it has held up fine. I bought a roll of 2 sided velcro from Harbor Freight & using one screw one each side in the inside compartment I attached a 20" or so piece then overlap them over the bottom front of the TV, then I put an 1" or so piece of sticky velcro on the edges of the TV where the velcro wraps around (before you overlap them) to stop it from slipping down. It works good & also provides easy access to the rear storage compartment.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Rgrstndgby. I agree with your bolting the hinge back on, & JB Weld is also a good choice. I was not sure what to use & tried the "Goop". I also bolted it back on with the metal strip & ss nuts/bolts/fender washers. I have seen some posts on this issue where the hood is modified to open up instead of down & think I would have opted for that if I had more info on how it was done.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I am having this same problem with the hood latches separating from the hood. Would appreciate any help I can get.
pacearrowben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our previous coach was a Sightseer 30B. Had the same problem with hood hinges. I wasnt fond of trying to reglue given that the original failed. Noticed the bumber had bolts showing so went with stainless bolts and felt blended in well. No one ever noticed
Also changed out tv with 32" flat screen on a full motion mount anchored to old metal framing. Used velcro straps to hold. Worked great for the 7000 miles we put on before trading. Used the area behind tv for storage-made storage bays for bottles. I did post pictures back in 2012.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sorry posted in Oct 2013 on tv swap out
Old 04-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I had my hood hinges come off my 05 Adventurer 37B. I used Pop rivets to mount the hinges and also used industrial strength epoxy. The rivets are out of sight when the hood is closed.
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
I had my hood hinges come off my 05 Adventurer 37B. I used Pop rivets to mount the hinges and also used industrial strength epoxy. The rivets are out of sight when the hood is closed.
Any pictures you could post? I'd like to see photos of those that have used pop rivets and/or bolts, mounting the hinges to the hood.

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

RT-I don't have pictures from under the hood and only found one that shows the front. The bolts on the bumper were there when we purchased the coach. he three bolts on either side of the hood are where I thru bolted the hinges. As I recall on the drivers side the hinge had not fallen off so I just drilled through from under the hood. The left side I tried to mark the hinge position as good as possible from the jury rigging someone had placed under the hood then drilled. I believe the hinge had not come completely off but was loose. After bolting I was able to adjust the hood for alignment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	159054  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Any pictures you could post? I'd like to see photos of those that have used pop rivets and/or bolts, mounting the hinges to the hood.

Thank you. -RT
I used 1/4-20 stainless steel button head bolts to secure the front hood and rear cap. Coach was painted after bolts but IMHO the SS bolts were not an eyesore.

See pic.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0765.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	159072  
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I used 1/4-20 stainless steel button head bolts to secure the front hood and rear cap. Coach was painted after bolts but IMHO the SS bolts were not an eyesore.

See pic.

Hope this helps.
Thank you to you and jazzerjump for posting pictures. I haven't had this issue come up so far but want to be proactive with having a plan... I've had just about every individual problem that everyone else has had, collectively, on my motorhome. No reason for me to expect that this won't happen to me too! And since it will happen when I'm as far away from home as possible, I keep a fresh roll of duct tape on board. Winnebago should sell its own branded duct tape... I'll take two. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Mine fell off today. Funny thing is LaMesa told me they noticed it was loose a couple weeks ago so they epoxied it on. According to them their epoxy is much better than the factory uses! I think I will try JB Weld.

It has been said “The only thing that works on an RV is the owner!”
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
MAC
Winnebago 38 Q

I suggest that all MH owners keep a roll of the blue painters tape on board to hold your hood in place when you are on the road and your hinge falls off. It's a good band aid. My right one fell off on maiden voyage, (brand new MH) and the left one fell off a few months later.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote