Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

winnebago intent 26m

Getting ready to sign papers on out Winnebago Intent 26 M,who has one?What do u like? dislke? this is our first motorhome
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Me too

Picked mine up on11/14. Haven’t actually made trip as yet. So much to learn and just stocking is chore. I do love it though
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yeah,we are first timers,and know we have a lot to learn,looking forward to it
Old 12-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROAD ST View Post
Yeah,we are first timers,and know we have a lot to learn,looking forward to it
Don't let your dealer rush through the orientation. Dealer had most items running at my appointment time which means I was not shown the actual hook ups and what ran in what situation. Some items require running vehicle, some items only on landline (electric), some on Generator. My facilitator did not know how to answer my question on how to adjust outside awning to allow water run off and a few other things.

Also--I was shocked to find out there was no master listing of everything installed in the vehicle, the manufacturer, the model number, the serial number...many of the items would have to be uninstalled to get model and serial number. My dealer said this is not supplied. I wrote to Winnebago and a few weeks later received email with the info printed from a microfiche record.

Only problem I have had so far is vehicle battery went dead after I parked it in storage for the first time...I left the key in ignition with it at Accessory location...Duh! Ford puts accessory all the way to last turn off location. Key will not come out if there but I did not know any of this...never had a Ford.

I would say only disappointment is the Ford Chassis as I think buying this expensive a vehicle everything should be much more high end than it is. Cab noise is bad and the front speakers are not mounted in the best location.

I replaced the audio system to upgrade so I can have Apple CarPlay and use my iPhone for navigation and other features no included in vehicle. FYI, the USB connector was not installed in my unit so I had to do that...dealer told me not included and that is not true...the microphone was installed but not USB connector. Hope you get better...

Good luck and Congratulations...next step for me is to try to find a good vehicle to tow behind and take that first trip next month. We will do a two nighter and maybe a 3 nighter before we actually make long term trip from San Diego to Michigan with lots of stops in early April
Old 12-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There telling us our orientation will be around 2 hours,we have a bunch of questions we have wrote down to ask,and you have gave me a few more,thanks,I need a lot of advice,so I figured I would join this group.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We've had our 26m for a couple months and love it.
It's not without its quirks, though.
As mentioned above, the dash could be a lot better. It bounces all over and a knob fell off the other day.
Don't waste any time...do the CHF immediately. HUGE improvement in handling. I also added a Safety Steer stabilizer. Bilsteins go on next week.
Pulls my Jeep with ease.
I already removed the front bunk and put a shelf in its place for more useable storage space.
The supplied knob for keeping the fridge doors closed is ridiculous. There are better alternative mods.
I replaced the glass shower door before our first trip in favor of a curtain hung on an adjustable pivoting model from CW. Gained about 6" of elbow room for showering, then pushes inward when not in use.
I made a cord hanger to tidy up the electrical/dump bay.
I'll be adding a bumper in the next couple weeks. I can store the sewer hose in it to keep the dump bay clean, and also mount a spare tire.
I had a front flat tire 2 days after taking delivery. I couldn't find anyone to come and fix it. All the services wanted to tow it to a commercial shop. So I'll have my own if it happens again.
YGoHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Also...this is a residential refrigerator. Meaning that it only works on electricity, 110 or 12v. Not on propane. I was furious that this wasn't discussed by our salesman. It's a battery killer, but I'm learning to manage. I hate the Onan NOTso quiet generator, and so do the nearby beach campers, so I'm getting better at conserving power when dry camping to avoid using it. The generator is, however, much quieter than my 2 previous coaches.
YGoHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

What's the chf? And how much?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Love to chat with you on the phone if you would,here's my email if you want to send me a phone # ,[email protected], we are still waiting to sign the papers
Old 12-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

email sent
Old 12-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

What's the CHF? Cheap Handling Fix
What's it cost? Free! Just a couple hours of your time

Read all about it here...
Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums

The Cliff notes are this, your motor home sways in the wind or around corners? Of course it does. If you slide under the RV and look at the front and rear sway bars, you'll find an extra hole at each end. Simply unbolt the lower link from the existing location and move it to the empty hole.
This pretty much removes all the roll and sway and should have come from Ford this way. This is common among all Ford F53 chassis.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post
Don't let your dealer rush through the orientation.
This is called the PDI- Pre-Delivery Inspection. It's vital. If the dealer doesn't take 3 or more hours and prove that everything is working, don't take it home. Dealers will rush new purchasers. Experienced RVers will not let them get away with that.

Quote:
Also--I was shocked to find out there was no master listing of everything installed in the vehicle, the manufacturer, the model number, the serial number...
Odd, my Winnebago came with just such a sheet. It was in the briefcase full of manuals, etc they give you.

Quote:
I would say only disappointment is the Ford Chassis as I think buying this expensive a vehicle everything should be much more high end than it is.
Unfortunately, you're not buying an expensive vehicle, you're buying an inexpensive home AND a cheap delivery truck. So, you can't apply the same expectations to the purchase. That said, we all know how you feel.

Most Gas Class A owners spend an additional $2,000 to $3,500 on suspension improvements right away to help driveability. Typical purchases are Steering Stabilizers, Sumo Springs, Rear Track Bars, Beefy Heavy Duty sway bars and sometimes new shocks to replace the new shocks that came on the chassis.

Remember, the truck part of your RV is exactly the same as what's sold for dump trucks, delivery trucks and other industrial trucks. Comfort is not as important to those buyers as durability of the truck is in commercial use.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Enjoy It! Before you spend money on any suspension upgrades, spend time driving it and seeing if it is to your liking. I have a stock Vista and am satisfied. Could I be happier? Maybe, but maybe not.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I will admit to being miffed that Ford doesn't offer much in the way of options or accessories of comfort and convenience for their motorhome chassis. The F-Series has all kinds of options and accessories, why not adapt at least some of them to the E-Series?
Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
I will admit to being miffed that Ford doesn't offer much in the way of options or accessories of comfort and convenience for their motorhome chassis. The F-Series has all kinds of options and accessories, why not adapt at least some of them to the E-Series?
As I mentioned Ford sells this chassis commercially for use as many different kinds of trucks. They are super slow to make changes or to modernize anything on this cutdown vehicle. The change from 5-speed transmission to 6-speed took forever, maybe a decade.

They don’t offer a MotorHome chassis. Just a cutdown truck chassis. Manufacturers can buy it as is and do what they want to it.

RV manufacturers could improve things to it to improve the ride but it might effect the basic chassis’s warranty and increase the price too much. I hear that you can order your gas Open Road RV from Tiffin with Sumo Springs installed. And I think some Newmar gas RV’s come with a steering stabilizer installed at the factory.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

WELL, Congratulations with your purchase! I picked up a new Class C Winnebago in August. If you haven't been following my posts this week, I highly suggest that you put on some old jeans and crawl all UNDERNEATH your new unit BEFORE YOU SIGN PAPERS to be sure it's not already encased with RUST as mine was. If not, go ahead as soon as you can and do some research on what to do to keep it from rusting (because it will), since I can personally vouch for the fact that Winnebago does LITTLE if ANYTHING to protect it, and after it does rust, they tell you that rust is NOT a warrantable item (their wording, not mine).
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #17
2018 Intent 26M Owner

I like what you are saying...I intend to take a few 1-2 night trips between 300-600 miles to really get a feel for handling...I think that is wise for all us. Improvements in the suspension seems wise but after what I paid for my unit I can't put that much more into it right now. I wonder when someone says my $120,000 RV is not expensive and my expectations for more comfort and convenience is not warranted. I blame Winnebago, not, Ford...they bought the dame thing and have a right to voice need for improvement to their suppliers.

I worked for GM for 20 years and spent 38 years in the auto industry and Ford could do better by Winnebago owners.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #18
2018 Intent 26M Owner

I notice those performing the fix mentioned are actually owners of 5-12 year old vehicles. Modification of the current vehicle will void your warranty from Ford.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

As a new Intent owner...

1. Regarding the F-53 chassis...it’s mfg by Detroit Chassis. Google them to learn more.
2. Dry camp at the dealer’s lot or very nearby for 2 nights minimum. Maybe not the most idealic place, but when you have questions, you’ll be near the source for answers.
3. Learn about loads and tire pressures before taking you first trip. Local moving companies often will let you weigh each corner for free.
4. Take good care of your holding tanks. Learn how to flush and clean...and if you don’t have an exterior water flush system, add one.
5. Many like the CHF. Some of us others prefer real suspension mods. Drive your coach, get a feel with what you are, and are not, comfortable with. Then ask questions and do research on the forum.
6. Don’t expect your 20,000 lb foam box to handle like your BMW. Learn about braking, acceleration, turning and the rear overhang.
7. Get insurance with a ‘safety glass’ replacement rider. You’ll understand why the very first time you need to replace it due to even a small stone chip that spreads. And, it will happen.
8. Remeber to lower your antenna before driving!
9. Consider a 5-Star Tune modification for your V10.
10. Change your oil and filter after 750 miles. Synthetic only.

Go out and enjoy! It’s a lifestyle experience that is tough to beat😃
rvbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:23 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Now add in to the mix that the V- 10 will be going the way of the dinosaur. That will add a whole new mix of possible changes (good and bad) when they switch to the V-8 7.0 liter probably in 2020.
When the time comes when we buy our new Class C I am considering bringing a independent rv inspector before we sign the final check.

Winnebago has a lot of good features which I like but Jayco Greyhawks with the J-Ride Plus which is standard, already has the additional chassis improvements to improve ride and handling.

Picking out our first new Class C is more work than when we did a total reno. on our stick built.
Decisions, decisions, decisions
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago