Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago factory tour-RV park

We are planning a factory tour next summer together with a US History trip to Philadelphia and DC, etc.

Have any of you taken a tour and if so, where did you stay near by?

Any suggestions on RV parks or the factory tour itself?

Thanks.....and Lets all head south for the winter! It's too cold up north.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You can park with 30amp service at the Winnebago Visitor Center for 2 days or 3 days if you are a WIT member for free. The Factory Tour buses leave from there and the Winnebago Factory and Service Center is across the street. If you need service you can see Rebecca at the Service Center for an appointment. You will be in good hands.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We took the tour this summer & wasn't very impressed. If it isn't out of your way do it but I wouldn't make much of a jog to see it.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you go to GNR, the factory tours are a little more involved. You must sign up for them as they are popular tours.. There are also tours of the various shops during this event. Pamel Park which is a mile or so North of the factory is a park yourself facility with water and electricity and close to numerous dump stations. Has a nice view of the Winnebago River and glimpses of the golf course.

If the factory is working on your rig there are numerous parking spots available. While touring the factory they are fussy about closed shoes and eye protection.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I went 200 miles out of my way on a cross country trip to take the tour, and I felt that it was worth it. I am a "gear-head" who spent 50 years in the automotive industry, so my reaction may be different than others.

If you like the show "How it's made", I'll bet you will enjoy it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

The factory tour is well worth the trip to Forest City and I highly recommend it. You will learn how these coaches are built and if you have any questions they will be more than happy to answer them.

At customer service they have always treated me very well and then there is the parts area that is always well stocked. The coffee is always hot too.

As for camping you can camp right next door to the customer service area or across the street at the visitor center or in the rally area where you will have electric at the site and water and dump station available, all for free. While there visit the restaurant next to the upper campground as the food is great.

After visiting the factory and the town go to Lichtsinn Motors and look at the coaches. I bought mine there and it only had 35 miles on it, 10 of which I put on. Nice people there too and their parts department is top notch.

Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

All great advice. We've been there several times and enjoyed the tour and museum. Even if you can't stay at the visitor center there is always room in the rally grounds right across the street. In fact I think I prefer it there. It's been no charge for us each time and I was never asked about WIT membership.

The park in town is very nice and on our first trip we stayed about 7 miles NW of the factory at Three Fingers RV Park. It's a park yourself place and ok but before going back there I would certainly stay at one of the other choices. Besides the roads in the Three Fingers park aren't well marked and I drove my Ellipse over a "foot traffic only" bridge... but that's a story for another time.

Have fun...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I've had very positive experiences at the Winnebago factory also. I've taken the tour twice (once before we purchased a coach, another time when I had the factory do an oil/lube and general check-over for me). I got excellent service there.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

You are a stranger until you walk in the door at Winnebago, from then on your are family.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I went 200 miles out of my way on a cross country trip to take the tour, and I felt that it was worth it. I am a "gear-head" who spent 50 years in the automotive industry, so my reaction may be different than others.

If you like the show "How it's made", I'll bet you will enjoy it.

Oh, did I mention?

It wasn't on my route, but I hit the "GO HOME" icon on the GPS................

BTW, when I was there in September the free camping deal was 2 days for anyone, 3 days for WIT members. Also WIT membership gives you 10% Parts discount, but only AFTER 30 days of membership.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

WE took the factory tout this summer and really enjoyed it. They have about 20 50 amp sites (electric only) right in the parking lot on a first come first serve basis. We really enjoyed the tour and the museum. It tool about 2 or 3 hours and I was very impressed with the quality. I had already taken the Newmar tour. It was also very nice.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago