Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Adventurer Windshield Issues

Well, we were just about to take a second and good hard look at a 2005 Adventurer and then I came across the thread about all the windshield issues and the lack of support from Winnebago. So I now have some questions

1. Does this happen to all models between certain years

2. If the issue is corrected, all the rust removed, new metal or whatever, is it fixed for good or is going to come back again

3. Where is the water coming from? Surely someone by now must have figured out how to prevent it from happening over and over again

I'm honestly beginning to believe there isn't a decent coach on the road today. It seems everywhere I turn I read about another horror story. Sure makes one wonder how in the world the industry is making a comeback

Thanks in advance
Bill
wtbbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The whole cab has a steel frame including around the windshield. Reading the posts the water seems to go inside the gasket at the top. I'm on my second adventurer and have not seen any leakage or rust when glass is replaced. Maybe if you had condensation from frost every morning it might get in there.
You won't be dissapointed with an adventurer!
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I am one of the unfortunate ones with a windshield leak. I haven't permanently fixed mine yet, but keep it from leaking with wide water proof tape. There may only be a couple hundred that leak out of 10s of thousands, but those that don't leak aren't going to post that they don't have a leak.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
aa1ssradio

Mine was rusted on the bottom. Moisture from rain sits in the channel that holds the rubber trim in place. I had new metal welded in and sealed with epoxy paint. Don't know if it will do it again or not. Had whole frame sealed and 2 new windshields put in for $2800. Insurance paid 1000 of it as they would not pay for the rust repair at 800 and I have a 1000 deductible
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Doing a search here and other RV forums, along with Google, with the words 'rusted windshield' will give you more than all the information you'll really want to know...

Do all Winnebago's over an 11-year model run end up with this problem? No. Is it likely? Hard to put a percentage but no matter how low the percentage might be, if it happens to you, you'll be out $2,500 - $4,000 and you won't really care what the 'specific percentage' is. I know my 2005 Itasca had it and my father-in-law's 2006 Winnebago (both in California and certainly not in a state with harsh winters) had it; we both had to cough up for the full cost of the repairs and Winnebago refuses to acknowledge that there is an issue.

While the repairs that have been reported in the forums usually solve the problem (you'll find a few posts that state they did the repair more than once) no shop will warranty the repair for more than one year that I have read, specifically because the shops feel that the windshield is a Winnebago design flaw and was finally changed (I think) by model year 2009 or 2010. The repair consists of removing the glass, repairing the rust, cutting out the bad sections of the windshield frame, sanding, primer and painting. In my case I had to replace the glass as the old glass will typically break upon removal, in part because they are 'glued' in. Then the shop will install (glue) the new glass in place and replace the reveal molding... the end result? Repaired, but not redesigned, so I don't know how many people can say it can't happen again.

If the current owner can't show that the repair has already been done, you might want to have the windshields inspected but you can't really tell by simply pulling off the reveal molding: the glass has to come out to show the true condition of the windshield frame. I'd negotiate a reasonable discount for the future possibility of having to do the repair. Also keep in mind that as these units get older and more susceptible to this issue and owners become more knowledgable, people are selling them so as not to have to deal with it... not saying that a seller might not tell you the whole truth, of course, just stating the facts.

And I can also tell you that on both my motorhome and my father-in-laws motorhome, do could stand in front of the them and look at the glass, frame, molding, and never have a clue that the windshields were rusted and leaking. You might also look for any signs of water damage just under the overhead cabinets and along the dash/glass area, as the water typically will run down the inside of the glass and drip onto the dash. I've also seen a few motorhomes that had slight visual run-off marks of rust down the front cap, usually along the side-frame of the glass or down the middle of the two glass pieces, with slight marks on the hood. Most don't realize where that 'rust' is coming from...
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am the third owner of 2001 32V Suncrusiser and have owned it just over a year now, the windshield does have a few chips in it and I have covered them with windshield Band-Aids, no cracks as yet. I have no idea if the frame is rusted or not, one time I did notice a leak coming down from the top on the driver’s side, but only one time so far. So two questions; (1.) do I need to be worried about it falling out or blowing out when I am driving? (2.) The windshield does not need replacement at this point; the chips are not in the viewing area and the window is not cracked, so do I just leave it alone for now?
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

1) No.

2) Yes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My 2003 Itasca 38G started leaking when it was about 6/7 years old. Between my auto insurance and coach insurance coverage, I had to pay about $500 in deductibles. They rebuilt the window frames and put in new glass and seals.

Haven't had a reoccurance in the last four years so I hope the fix is permanent.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I am on my 3rd Winnebago Product and have replaced windshields on all three of them on one side or the other. I have never experienced a major rust problem. Some minor rust had to be treated and painted one time. Our MH is garaged when not in use so maybe that helps I don't know.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010 View Post
(1.) Do I need to be worried about it falling out or blowing out when I am driving?
Well, I'm going to have to differ with pusherman. When I first contacted Winnebago/Itasca regarding this issue, they specifically told me that the way the windshield is mounted makes it an integral part of the front cab integrity. It is possible to have the windshield frame so rusted that the windshield could fall out at speed, at least in the view of one of the customer service reps I initially spoke to...

Has it ever happened? Not that I have ever seen posted in the forums, but Winnebago told that no way could they say it wasn't possible due to catastrophic frame failure, and it was the owners' responsibility under 'maintenance' to make sure it doesn't happen.

As I've pointed out before, Winnebago goes deaf regarding any further comment on this long-standing issue.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago