Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I want to import a used 1999-2000 Winnebago Adventurer (32-34 foot) into New Zealand from the USA, but we have width restrictions applying to RV's in my country. The RV will be able to be registered if its width is no greater than 98 and a half inches. I note from some advertised on Ebay that these mdoels width is 102 inches. I am wondering that if the awnings are greater than the 4 inch difference, then I may be able to remove the awnings and be legally able to resister the RV in NZ. I have not been able to obtain this information from the Winnebago website and was wondering if an Adventurer owner in particular, or anyone else with the smarts, could supply this information, or another web site that would point me in the right direction. Thank you in anticipation... Rob
Rob Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I want to import a used 1999-2000 Winnebago Adventurer (32-34 foot) into New Zealand from the USA, but we have width restrictions applying to RV's in my country. The RV will be able to be registered if its width is no greater than 98 and a half inches. I note from some advertised on Ebay that these mdoels width is 102 inches. I am wondering that if the awnings are greater than the 4 inch difference, then I may be able to remove the awnings and be legally able to resister the RV in NZ. I have not been able to obtain this information from the Winnebago website and was wondering if an Adventurer owner in particular, or anyone else with the smarts, could supply this information, or another web site that would point me in the right direction. Thank you in anticipation... Rob
Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Rob,
I believe that the width, or any measurement from the company, is the coach alone. Our '94 Brave was 96" and our Chieftain is 102". I hope that helps.
Mac
Jack_Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Typically awning and mirrors are allowed to extend pas the 102" or other given dimension. So a 96" wide coach will have additional width due to the mirrors and awnings.

Ken
Old 09-19-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I measured the back bumper on mine on Saturday - it measures 99 inches, and it goes side to side. With the awnings, that is probably another 3-4 inches -
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Our Adventurer is a year newer than the one you're looking at, but the outside width is 102" from sidewall to sidewall. The awnings, step handle, and mirrors add considerably more. The total overall width of our coach with the mirrors folded in is 119 1/2". I know this because the first time I tried getting it in the 10' wide garage door it was obvious it wasn't going to fit. I had to drop a plumb line from each mirror mount and measure the distance between them.

It's still a mighty tight fit. You have to be directly in the center and careful not to rock it side to side when you go through the door
Old 09-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A 102 inch coach is just that. The measurements do not include anything attached to the coach; awnings, mirrors, etc. You need a narrow body coach which would be 96 inches wide.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

... I jave a 2001 32V Adventurer, and according to the Winnebago spec sheet the width is 8'5.5" or 101.5" I believe Winnebago takes into account the majority of legal and allowable widths. they also have a disclaimer that some states do not accept wide widths. I find that hard to fathom because aren't most bus and trailer widths 102"? I believe that does not include the mirrors. Typically, the awning would not extend past the mirrors.

ciao.. FJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Wallace:
I want to import a used 1999-2000 Winnebago Adventurer (32-34 foot) into New Zealand from the USA, but we have width restrictions applying to RV's in my country. The RV will be able to be registered if its width is no greater than 98 and a half inches. I note from some advertised on Ebay that these mdoels width is 102 inches. I am wondering that if the awnings are greater than the 4 inch difference, then I may be able to remove the awnings and be legally able to resister the RV in NZ. I have not been able to obtain this information from the Winnebago website and was wondering if an Adventurer owner in particular, or anyone else with the smarts, could supply this information, or another web site that would point me in the right direction. Thank you in anticipation... Rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 102 inch width is the coach without mirrors or safety equipment which are allowed to extend past the 102 inch max allowable on US highways.

One exporter of coaches confessed to me that they spec out the interior width on their paperwork in order to send out the newer coaches to counties with lower allowable width regulations.

You may want to get in touch with the international sales group at LazyDays in Sefner, Florida as they deal with this all the time. If you buy from them make sure you get a service contract that is valid in your country as the LazyDays service people are not top notch and miss many, many things. I have had my coach in their service bays for over a month so far during my two month ownership as I have to keep sending it back for simple repairs that they keep on skipping over or messing up. Such as fix the leaking hydraulics in the rear bedroom slide. They slid back the cover over the leak and topped off the hydraulic fluid, using the wrong fluid of course but did not fix the leak. First time I opened the slide there was a very visible and obvious puddle of now red fluid (it should be clear) under the slide and the fitting that they uncovered was obviously leaking.

They also do not communicate well and keep you in the dark without returning calls or emails for days and weeks unless you CC their upper level management such as their CEO. So it is with extreme reservations that I recommend you deal with them aside from using them as a learning tool on importing a coach.

To make the sale they will be very attentive however afterwards is quite another story.

Wishing you the best,
Old 09-21-2006, 04:29 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Rob, I'm thinking you will need to find a Winnie that has a P-32 chassis to stay below the 98" width. From a post by DriVer on 11/18/05:
The narrow track P30 chassis was continuously built up until model year 2000 in a 12,800 GVW rating by Workhorse. You might see one if you look at the 7 digit of the VIN# it might have a 1 or a 2.
These units were delivered to the OEMs and motorhomes were built on them.
The change to P32 came on 11-22-99 and the front track was 13.25 inches wider. The P32 remains the widest track gas powered IFS motorhome delivered to the RV industry.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Rob,
You will probably have to go to an older coach, I don't know if anybody builds a 96" wide model anymore. Our '97 is on a '96 P32 Chevy chassis, and is a "wide body" at 102". Fleetwood built their first 102" model in 1995 and all were 102" in 1996 (at least the Bounders were). I don't know what time line Winnebago had on changing over.
Loren
Old 09-23-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I am extremely appreciative to the RV'rs that took the time to answer my question. The information provided has given my wife and I some good leads to follow. In a nutshell, it seems that we need to be looking for a P30 Chassis. Our 'ideal' was to purchase a used Cummins Diesel MH with a slide at an upper price limit of $60k USD. Looking at the various www forums, the Winnebago attracts the least amount of criticism from owners, although many owners are dissatisfied with their local service providers. Maybe that's a reflection of the fact that those that obtain good service don't post? There is a chance that we can find our 'needle in the haystack' as some pre 99 Adventurers were produced with slides. A Bounder seems to be out of the question, based on Lorens post. Again everyone, thank you for your help and advise from two prospective RV'rs from down-under.

Rob N Bev