Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi All, I just returned from a trip to Iowa and various places in between. The roads in America have really gone down more lately. Yes, some states are working on theirs, but by inlarge, most US roads are filled with bumps, heave lines, sorry repair work, pot holes, etc. My question to all is, what can be done to eliminate a lousy ride on these roads? I recently had Workhorse put two new Monroe shocks on the front of my '04 Adventurer 35U, and they worked fine for a few hundred miles, but I am back to having a bad ride on rough roads. Even when I cut back on speed, no help. It rides ok on smooth roads. I love the Coach and the floor plan but this is not good on an old recently retiree. I have discovered a new meaning to the term Rock and Roll. Has anyone had this problem and WHAT DID YOU DO TO FIX IT??? ANY suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Al
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi All, I just returned from a trip to Iowa and various places in between. The roads in America have really gone down more lately. Yes, some states are working on theirs, but by inlarge, most US roads are filled with bumps, heave lines, sorry repair work, pot holes, etc. My question to all is, what can be done to eliminate a lousy ride on these roads? I recently had Workhorse put two new Monroe shocks on the front of my '04 Adventurer 35U, and they worked fine for a few hundred miles, but I am back to having a bad ride on rough roads. Even when I cut back on speed, no help. It rides ok on smooth roads. I love the Coach and the floor plan but this is not good on an old recently retiree. I have discovered a new meaning to the term Rock and Roll. Has anyone had this problem and WHAT DID YOU DO TO FIX IT??? ANY suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Al
Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If you have an 04 then you should have 4 Bilsteins from the factory. I suspect you have a 03 chassis. I had the same problem but Newmar paid for 4 Bilsteins within 3 months of my purchase.

But, to answer your question... Yes, install 4 Koni FSD's.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
But, to answer your question... Yes, install 4 Koni FSD's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! Koni's all around! We threw the Bilsteens in the trash after the Koni installs....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Also very happy with the Koni FSDs.

2001 Winnebago 35U
Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS put Koni FSD on all 4 corners.

This will help, but on a really rough road you just have to slow down or take a beating. Of course ,,you should do this in a car also.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum . You've already gotten good answers to your question. I will second the nominations for Koni FSD shocks. Also, if you have not already done so, weigh your rig loaded for travel and make sure you have the right amount of air pressure in your tires (consult the tire manfacturer's load inflation chart). Too much air can cause a harsh ride.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Wish they made the Koni's for my MH
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I also installed Koni shocks (removing the Billsteins) and made a world of difference. I also found that running too much pressure makes for a harsh ride. Ran to the Black Hills with 87 lbs all around and felt that I should run with more pressure so I increased to 95 all around and on rough roads it made for a much harsher ride on the return trip on a known rough rode (I25) that I drove North. I need to get the coach weighed so I can have confidence on the "correct" air pressure but I will be reducing to 90 all around for now.
Frank
Old 09-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have an 04 Adventurer on a 03 WCC and just installed 4 Konis and they make a world of difference. Some roads are so bad that nothing will help. I talked to guys who have air suspension and when the roads are bad they feel it. My Koni's replaced the original black MOnroes which only gave resistance one way when I took them off.

AS far as your tires go you should inflate them to what Winnebago put on your sticker. I even checked with Michelin as I was running less air to give better ride and they told me that was not good. Reason that it is no good to leave air out is that it weakens sidewall. That is right from Michelin themselves so leave recommended air presure.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Tom NC is right on regarding air pressures, I follow the MFG. recommendations and run 90 psi in front and 85 psi on the duals. I run completely stock with Monroes and after 25000+ miles am satisfied with my ride. After reading the previous posts, I dont care what you have for shocks, you had better SLOW DOWN. I just got back from Amish Country in PA. and the roads out there including the PA turnpike are shot..so I just took it easy...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

You might want to check and see if you have the 2 inch front stabilizer bar or the 2.5 inch one.
WH changed to the 2.5 inch sometime after my chassis was made (probably about twenty minutes after ).
My 2004 (chassis made in 03) had the 2 inch and when I changed to the 2.5 inch it made a dramatic inprovement in side to side sway. I am sure that's not all of your problem but could contribute to it.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

The sticker winnebago puts in the motorhome is assuming you are at gross axle weights. If you are running at max weights then fine. If you are not at max weights, air pressure should be adjusted to the weight on each axle.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
The sticker winnebago puts in the motorhome is assuming you are at gross axle weights. If you are running at max weights then fine. If you are not at max weights, air pressure should be adjusted to the weight on each axle.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!!! My Winnebago sticker says the fronts should be 100 PSI...Michelin says (according to my front weight) they should be 90 psi. I run 95 psi on my fronts (and 90 on the rears).

When I tried the 100 psi....I could hardly hold the steering wheel as it was so rough!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have checked pressure in all tires. The fronts get 90#s and the rear get 85#s. I have even checked the tires after they get hot and they baloon up to way over 95#s. Could this be the reason that the motorhome rides so rough over the bad roads. Feels like the front end and everthing inside want to fall in and I now have rattles I didn't have a few thousands miles ago. If the tires baloon up, wouldn't it be reasonable to reduce the cold tire pressure to something much less than the sticker on the door. Any suggestions?? Thanks. Al
Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #16

My tires sure dont balloon up. 95 fronts cold, then checked when hot=97.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We were going to put KONIS on
Where did you guys get them,,,,,,,,,,,, for self install?
I have found a few differrnt prices on the web .......Thanks

New Monmouth, NJ
WALLY NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I got mine from Shox.com 499 for four..They sure make a difference on my Workhorse Chassis.

Do a google search for RV Koni's and see what you find. Good Luck
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Do Koni's really make that much difference? I have an '06 Adventurer 38T on a W24 and the ride is pretty decent but would definitely be interested in making it better. New shocks seem like a no brainer if the benefit is that much. Can anyone describe the difference?

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Do a search for Koni Shocks, DriVer has a comprehensive thread on the FSD technology and also you might check the Koni web site.

A simple anser is that on my Moho, the bumps are not as severe, there is less up and down movement on the front end and there is less rocking and rolling.

PS Like the 38T floorplan, it looks very liveable.

Having said that my shocks were six years old and I'm sure that the difference would be much more noticable than with newer shocks. Good Luck