Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Adventurer - Leaking windshield

Does anyone know a good place to have a windshield leak repaired in Southwest Florida?
JLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Darren Thomas glass in Sebring FL. Phone 863-655-9500. Just had ours done there this past winter. They came highly recommended by other motorhome owners. Located out by airport off USTH 98.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer - Leaking sindshield

Could you elaborate what was done to fix, timeframe, original symptoms? I have drips coming from the top plastic trim piece over the drivers windshield about a foot from the left side. I also noticed when cleaning the windshield (outside), the rubber trim over the windshield moved slightly when pushed by the squeegee.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Could you elaborate what was done to fix, timeframe, original symptoms? I have drips coming from the top plastic trim piece over the drivers windshield about a foot from the left side. I also noticed when cleaning the windshield (outside), the rubber trim over the windshield moved slightly when pushed by the squeegee.
Jim, I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination. The Winnebago line is notorious for rust causing the windshield to leak. Mine was under warranty when it happened. It was fixed and the contractor that fixed it guaranteed it for life. Problem is - he moved. It has never leaked but now, every once i a while, I'll find a flake of rust on the dash. Means they fixed the outside but could be the inside was not cleaned and repaired. Insurance (mine at least) will not cover the rust repair, but if the windshield were happened to be cracked and needed replacing, the cost of repair of the rust would diminish considerably.

Last time I checked on a price for repair it was $4k. Said they had to remove the front cap.

The rubber molding you feel moving is their for access to replace the windshield only. As long as it is in place it should be okay. There is a stick-on behind that, used to keep that outside molding in place using a track-slit. May be yours has vanished. See if it moves all along the track and if you find a place that doesn't move - look underneath and you will see the piece I'm mentioning. I don't believe that is causing your problems.

Check your marker lights. Seal around them with a good sealant but one that will come off if the lens needs to be removed. They can leak causing water to get into the coach.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Jim, I dropped it off to Darren Thomas Glass, in a day of so they called me and asked that I stop by. Where my leak was occurring was where the rust was. They quoted me $1500 to remove the cap. However they were able to just loosen the cap and move it up enough to get to all the frame. It (frame) was solid so they just ground down the frame and removed ALL rust even the pits. They them used different chemicals and then used bondo to make the surface even so the glass will seal when the windshield is installed. I know there were several steps needed to do the job. Mine took about 2 weeks to do, but I was not in need of the unit at that time. Cost to do my job was $900+tax. Insurance paid for the glass. They can not reinstall the old glass, it must be new.

They have electric hookups at the shop and the shop is fully enclosed if you were to leave the unit there. I strongly recommend you contact Mary or Darren the owners. Don't sell Mary short she knows what she is taking about.

As a sideline they had one owner that had a broken windshield. When taken apart a foot of frame had completely rusted away. They rebuilt the frame. If I recall it was on a Journey.

Darren will tell you this: The frames are fabricated at Winnebago, them primed and put on the chassis. The chassis then goes back outside and sits till it is needed. Primer attracts moisture. When needed the chassis is brought in and the frame at this point is painted. Thus the problem of moisture behind the final frame paint.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2527006
This is the area the water leaks into the windshield area. Check the roof cap and you will find no sealant or separated.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all your info. I have an appointment at Darren Thomas Glass next Monday. I'll post how it turns out.

Tags
leak, vent, winnebago