Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 04:06 AM   #101
Winnebago Camper

We are getting ready to have Allure flooring installed in our 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U. Reading all of this is pretty scary to me, especially since both hubby & I are somewhat disabled and it's not easy to get up & down. I'm also anxious to see what the quote is to have it done, although if it's very high, we would prob try to do it ourselves. If that's the case, I guess we start with ordering the carpeted slide shoe....or carpeting our existing one? Can we rent a slide out jack.......or something to hold the slide "up", or somehow raise a floor jack up to hold it? I'm almost regretting the decision to do this, but with two dogs and lots of kids running in and out, it really needs to be done. Thanks for the help!!!!!!
Laginog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #102
Winnebago Watcher

More flooring replacement

Had my slide removed for slide work in 2006. labor at that time was $1200.00. Since I needed new rams the parts were actually higher. Going to try new bearings (again) here in the RGV. Should be interesting.
I have replaced the carpet with Allure and find that there is no problem with the slide going in and out, however the floor does get scratched when going down the road. I can't seem to get anything under the slide to protect the floor. I am hoping that the new bearings will help, and I plan to add a new shoe and ramp.
Anyone near Alamo that wants to help?
USRVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #103
Winnebago Camper

For those with experience in this, would the vinyl sheet flooring fit better under the slide outs to prevent scratching? Or would we still need to remove the whole slide out to cover the slide shoes? We were planning to put the Trafficmaster Allure in originally.
Thank you!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 AM   #104
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laginog View Post
For those with experience in this, would the vinyl sheet flooring fit better under the slide outs to prevent scratching? Or would we still need to remove the whole slide out to cover the slide shoes? We were planning to put the Trafficmaster Allure in originally.
Thank you!
I have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U.
I just finished doing my floor. I used Karndean 16" Vinyl tiles squares. It is a glue down tile. I removed all my carpet and other vinyl. I did not remove the ramp, just the carpet.
I DID NOT remove the slideout. What I did may not be in the service manuals, but it did what I needed it to do. I ran the slide all the way out, then measured the distance between the slideout flange and the side wall and then cut 2 2X4's 6" shorter. I then used 2 short pieces of 2X4 to raise the long board off the top of the slide. I did this on both ends of the slideout. Using the slide power, I brought the slide in jogging it until it hit on the 2X4's. Now bringing the slide in jogging it still and the lower edge od the slide at the floor started to raise. You are essentially binding the slide mech. so be careful here. I was able to get enough clearance to clean out the carpet and remove staples off my ramp.
My glide strip underneath the slide is smooth and I didn't need to remove and replace it, but I am still going to glue some thin carpet to it, using the slideout tilt method I will use some 3M #90 spray glue to attach it.
I have ran my slideout in and out several times now with no problems
I laid 5 mm underlayment (glued and stapled) to get the floor as smooth as possible.
The tiles that I used is very heavy duty for commercial applications. and will withstand more abuse that linoleum and being 16" squares, if I do have a problem, I replace 1 tile.
The old carpet is gone and the new floor looks great
Cornnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #105
Winnebago Camper

Cornnutz - I have a few questions for you.

First - measuring the distance between the side walk & slide out phalange. Where do we find the phalange & which sidewall? Is it inside or outside?

Second - what exactly is the longboard on top of the slide?

Are there diagrams somewhere we can look at?

Sorry for the foolish questions. We aren't very experienced in these things. Thank you sooooo much for your help!!!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #106
Winnebago Camper

We re-floored our rig!

We would like to thank Jesse (Jbmsr) for starting and making excellent contributions to this thread, and the others who provided additional information on how to re-floor Winnebago Adventurer RVs, with special attention to the slide-out. After much research and careful planning, we undertook the task, ourselves, on our 2001 Adventurer 32V in early June, and successfully completed the job in late July, just in time for a 2500 mile round trip to Ontario, Canada! While we were at it, we also replaced the captain’s chairs, added a third seat (to replace the hoop bottom seat stolen from the original owner of our rig), and upgraded the sound system. There was a LOT of labor involved, but the results are great and exceeded our expectations.

Here are a couple shots of the final product:

If you would like to see a lengthy write-up, with lots of photos, and long discussion of the process we used on both the rig as well as the slide out, please click on this link for a pdf version.
JK6263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #107
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
looks very nice
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #108
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Ernie

We appreciate the comment
Old 08-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #109
Winnie-Wise

Looks amazing. This is on our list.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #110
Winnebago Master

Jk6263
What a beautiful coach!
Thank you for the kind words. I am very happy to have helped. And I solute you for that quality work!
Thanks
JBMSR
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #111
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Gene and Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Looks amazing. This is on our list.
We know you will like the end results.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #112
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Jk6263
What a beautiful coach!
Thank you for the kind words. I am very happy to have helped. And I solute you for that quality work!
Thanks
JBMSR
You're welcome. And thanks for the comments.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #113
Winnebago Watcher

Slide Glide Shoe 2003 Winnebago 35U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Hi Larry
Calm down :-) it is not that complicated. Take it as a challenge with nothing to loose. We are only in research mode now.
This PDF is from Winnebago and it is for your coach and the flat floor slide.
Look at part # 29
(115661-01-000 FT SHOE/GLIDE - SLIDEOUT ROOM - 1/16" X 3" - POLYETHYLENE)

This Polyethylene part was the length of the slide out. I have removed it before. It is placed in the grooved edges of part # 26 that is secured to the bottom the slide with screws (you called them the emergency retraction screws) that have been known to back out and cause floor damage. When I reinstalled my Part #26 I used larger screws.
Larry you may decide to terminate this venture before we complete the research mode. I am ok with that. However I want to help you until we fix the slide. I have everything to gain.
Jesse
I am getting ready to replace carpet in my Motorhome as well and would like information on how to replace glide shoe. I have order the replacement from winnebago . Please help
skend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #114
Winnebago Watcher

I am getting ready to replace carpet in my Motorhome as well and would like information on how to replace glide shoe. I have order the replacement from winnebago . Please help
Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #115
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skend1 View Post

What year make and model is your RV?
Jesse
Old 09-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #116
Winnebago Watcher

RV Flooring Install

Jesse
It is a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U (35 Ft.) Living Room/dinette Slide and bedroom/hall closet slide) so 2 slides.
Steve
Ocala Fl area
Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #117
Winnebago Watcher

RV Slide Issue

It is way too expensive to have a dealer hyper extend slides to replace glide shoe. I have been also told that i can get strips of LVT plank and lay these on my new floor for the slide to ride on which should protect new floor. when slide is retracted just store in closet. What are your thoughts or anyone who has tried this with any success. I really appreciate any help.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #118
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skend1 View Post
Jesse
It is a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U (35 Ft.) Living Room/dinette Slide and bedroom/hall closet slide) so 2 slides.
Steve
Ocala Fl area

Oh, the memories! That is a fine design. I love that the bed and bath area seems so large with that rear slide out. Steve without me looking your coach up does the living room slide out drop down when extended which would make it at flush floor slide out? My 2001 35U was a non flush floor slide.
Jesse
Old 10-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #119
Winnebago Camper

Now that sounds like a really GOOD idea. I have a 2000 35U with a 2013 paint job.
We absolutely love the darn thing. The wood floor in the kitchen area looks like the day it was installed, beautiful. Anyone know what it is? I as the Captain of this ship have decided that the carpeted portion of our love boat's floor should be replaced with wood or Vinyl. The problem is that the 'Admiral' Likes the existing simulated floor and would like me replace-match that floor. Now you guys that can put your backs under the slide etc.etc. to change the skid from carpet to wood break my heart, 30 years ago when I was 49 or 50 years old I would loved to have done that. But now all I have is the need, want & a damn few extra dollars to have it done, and for sure, Not a strong back. I guess we will have to live with the scratches or know for sure, just where to put the protective strips on our new floor. If you happen to have a scratched floor, I would be forever indebted to you if you sent me some measurements.
HoBo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #120
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornnutz View Post
I have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U.
I just finished doing my floor. I used Karndean 16" Vinyl tiles squares. It is a glue down tile. I removed all my carpet and other vinyl. I did not remove the ramp, just the carpet.
I DID NOT remove the slideout. What I did may not be in the service manuals, but it did what I needed it to do. I ran the slide all the way out, then measured the distance between the slideout flange and the side wall and then cut 2 2X4's 6" shorter. I then used 2 short pieces of 2X4 to raise the long board off the top of the slide. I did this on both ends of the slideout. Using the slide power, I brought the slide in jogging it until it hit on the 2X4's. Now bringing the slide in jogging it still and the lower edge od the slide at the floor started to raise. You are essentially binding the slide mech. so be careful here. I was able to get enough clearance to clean out the carpet and remove staples off my ramp.
My glide strip underneath the slide is smooth and I didn't need to remove and replace it, but I am still going to glue some thin carpet to it, using the slideout tilt method I will use some 3M #90 spray glue to attach it.
I have ran my slideout in and out several times now with no problems
I laid 5 mm underlayment (glued and stapled) to get the floor as smooth as possible.
The tiles that I used is very heavy duty for commercial applications. and will withstand more abuse that linoleum and being 16" squares, if I do have a problem, I replace 1 tile.
The old carpet is gone and the new floor looks great
For those of you reading this thread searching for a solution, I have a 2011 Vista 32k. Was going to try the method above but after looking at the design of the Power Gear slide system, it was apparent this was probably not going to work because the rollers inside the two beams were already pressed against the top of the outer beam. But I did something similar. By loosening the outermost adjustment nuts on the slide rails and tightening down the innermost adjustments, the same result was obtained. Once this is done, just use the slide motor to move the slide inward to pull the bottom of the slide up off the floor by cocking the slide due to the rail being allowed to dip down in the rear of the slide and raise up in the front of the slide. This gave me room to glue carpet onto the sliders to prevent damage to the floor.
TheRealVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, slide, carpet