Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Adventurer 2006 38J

I am contemplating trading my 2000 35U in fro a 2006 38J.I have a few issues with the 38J such as:
1. The main salon TV is in place as is the switch unit that switches antennas, etc. All other componente are missing and all I can think of is a satalite reciever and the DVD/VCR player as well as maby a surround sound reciever too that might be missing.
2. Rear Tv is missing and Maby other components that might have possibly been in the slot under the rear TV.
3. one of the sink covers is missing.

I am wondering what components would normally be in the cabinet above the main salon TV and what , if any, would have been in the slot under the bedroom TV? I am also wondering if Winnie would still stock the sink cover for a 2006 model?

We recently bought a full queen sleep number bed for the 35U and the 38T has a short queen. I am wondering if anyone has replaced a short queen with a full queen matress. If so, what would be involved to retro fit the full queen and did the full queen have enough room to easily get buy it?

I am also curious about the W24 engine and if I will have problems on a long incline drive?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 38J. Above the living room TV, the coach came with a DVD/VCR combo unit and the video switcher. In the bedroom, there were no components under the TV.

Love the floorplan, and have not had any issues with the chassis. We have had to replalce the plug wires because of a burnt wire.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Outbumn,

Thanks for the reply. The unit we are looking at has 4 small cube like speakers mounted from the ceiling, one small one mounted on the TV cabinet, and a (I do believe) a sub-woofer also mounted on the TV cabinet. This leads me to think it had originally come with a surround sound receiver. There are 6 pairs of conductors laying in the cabinet above the TV with something like phone jack connectors that I think would go to the speakers.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have the same speakers. Our surround sound system is controlled through the DVD/VCR and the Radio/TV switch on the dash.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a 38T with the W24 and we top out at about 40 MPH with a tow vehicle going up the grapevine in So. Cal. I don't remember what the exact grade is though, I just sit back and relax.

Mattpro
Mattpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

38j

We decided not to buy the 38J. The price was ...ok, but the drawbacks were many. The carpeting needed replacing as well as the tile in the galley area. The electronics were missing (Bedroom TV, satalite reciever and DVD/VCR/surround sound thingy were missing). The sleep number matress looked like someone grossly overweight had slept on it and the air hoses had mould in them. The dinette table was needing some work and it was missing the 2 extra chairs. The chairs that were there lookes like a cat had been using them to stretch thier paws on. When we looked at it DW came away with sinus problems (maby a lot of mould in the carpeting?). We never took a drive in it after looking inside and I suspect it was a repo unit. With what we saw inside I would suspect the mechanical systems woould be in poor condition too.The price was $89,999. The dealer gave me the song and dance about the NADA being about $130,000 on the coach and I thought he must have been smoking something. I found an Itasca 2006 38J suncruiser on EBAY for $89,000 with less miles and looking to be in better condition. That said it still would be "buyer beware". With all that I thing we are just going to spend some money to upgrade the 35U.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sorry if my post is too late, but I thought I'd share my experience. We have a Adventurer 38J and love the floorplan. As for the electronics, the surround sound amplifier is not in the entertainment center, but is hidden behind the panel in front of the passenger seat. So its unlikely it was removed.
As for the sleep number, when we purchased our 38J, we had the dealer upgrade the bed to the Sleep number. They put in the mattress from a Vectra, so it was the full length queen rather than the short queen. We had issues with this: (1) no support for the end so the mattress would sag and (2) sometimes the mattress would get caught between the end of the bed frame and the drawers when the slide was in and would deform the corner pieces. I solved this by making a sliding support for the end of the bed. When slide extended, the pressure from the bed will extend the sliding section and it will support the end of the bed. When the slide comes in, the sliding section gets pushed in and keeps the bed in a more natural position. So far this has worked OK. We are full timers, so the slide stays out for 5-6 months at a time and we are only on the road for about 20-30 days/year.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote