Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago 34H Journey 2007

I am looking at a 2007 Winnebago 34H Journey, only 16,000 miles, one owner, Cat diesel. Have these been good coaches and are there any issues I should be aware of? Thank you for your help!
Piddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Piddlerman,
The Journey has been a well deserving coach, for years. I know folks with earlier models, as in '01 - '02s all the way to the one you're looking at and, no bodies had any real complaints what so ever. If I'm not mistaken, that model you're looking at has the 350HP version CAT too. That's a great plus for a coach of that size.

Now, you won't be burning any tires off the back with it on take-off but, it's got real nice cruising and pulling power. The 34H is a sort of "sought after" unit due to the shorter length that people like for many reasons. The Journey line-up for Winne has been good for many years. It's got good compartment spacing, nice cabinetry, tried and proven good leveling and slide mechanisms, (mostly HWH operated) etc.

If we were looking today, we'd be heading for that very model.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Scott, I entered info. incorrectly. The coach is a 2007 Tasco Meridian 34H, 16,000 actual miles, no damage, one owner, always stored inside, looks new both in/out/under, multiple options. I have personally known owner of coach for 35 years. Always, professionally serviced. Original tires show no signs of distress and no checking. Batteries replaced in 2011. Owner says Norcold had a recall due to concern of overheating years ago but he never had anything done because the 4 door SS fridge seemed to work perfectly. Are their recalls on the coach you are aware of? Diesel generator is 8000 watts with 480 hours. Owner says he runs it routinely when going down the road, starts and runs perfectly. Thinking of buying a 2012 Honda CRV as a dinghy. Any further thoughts on any of this would be very appreciated from you and others as I am new to this forum. Thankyou, Piddlerman
Old 09-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, the Itasca Meridian is the twin of the Winnebago Journey. They should be essentially identical except for front and rear cap and interior/exterior paint design, fabrics, etc.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Piddlerman,
I'm pretty sure you meat ITACA not TASCO. Cracking up here. Anyway, no, as far as I know, there's no recalls on that model or year etc. that I'm personally aware of. 480 Hrs. on a gen is a bit but, nothing really to be concerned about. I can't really say too much more about the year/make/model more than what I've already stated. I myself think they're a nicely laid out coach with good qualities.

If you know the coach, and its owner, his qualities etc., I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong here. Good luck.
Scott
Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Winnebago 34H Journey 2007

I'm sure you meant ITASCA not ITACA..

Personally I wouldn't consider 480hrs excessive (60 hrs/yr) IF that coach was used for dry camping. If it's a FHU coach, then yes that's allot.

We still have our '06 34H because it just works for what we do with it. Tows a '06 CRV and you can't even tell its there. If you get it and have any questions, feel free to PM me since the coach is exactly like mine. Whatever Scott hasn't been into, I probably have..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Norcold RECALL has to be addressed !!! Fire hazard. Do a search for "Norcold recall" PLEASE!!!!!
ftum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I would call Norcold. Give them the model number and serial number. They should be able to tell if all recalls are done. They do track them.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

40,000 miles on ours and it has been a great coach. Fridge safety box was re-engineered by the lab at Norcold with proper grounding and that has been it! No DEF in that CAT also.
It's a great engine and was a lot of extra money. And it will turn a circle on a dime with the Freightliner Chassis. 7-8 mpg pulling the car.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Welcome Piddlerman,

We're in our third year of owning our 04 34H and it is an absolutely wonderful, perfectly sized coach for us. Just turned 78,365 miles on ours. With plenty of useable power and towing ability plus the super smooth, quiet air ride. We love love our Journey.

Sounds like you've found another perfect one to me...
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate your feedback and help. All tips are greatly appreciated. Is there a site I can go to in order to plug in both coach serial number and the freightliner chassis number to check on recalls? Thank you all! Piddlerman
Old 10-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I'm sure you meant ITASCA not ITACA..

Personally I wouldn't consider 480hrs excessive (60 hrs/yr) IF that coach was used for dry camping. If it's a FHU coach, then yes that's allot.

We still have our '06 34H because it just works for what we do with it. Tows a '06 CRV and you can't even tell its there. If you get it and have any questions, feel free to PM me since the coach is exactly like mine. Whatever Scott hasn't been into, I probably have..
Jeff, I agreed to buy the unit. The floor section in front of passenger seat has a broken cable and does not operate electrically. I can pull the carpet and have it come out manually. Have u had issues and if so is there a fix or upgrade. Thanks Piddlerman
Old 10-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

We have the sister 2007 34H Journey and love it still with 59,000 miles on it. Anywhere from 7-10 mpg towing a grand cherokee. Echo on the handling and turning, a wonderful ride. Had the entire floor redone in a laminate and the dinette booths taken out and even more room. Have fun.
jashx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

We're on our 2nd Journey 34H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Piddlerman,
The Journey has been a well deserving coach, for years. I know folks with earlier models, as in '01 - '02s all the way to the one you're looking at and, no bodies had any real complaints what so ever. If I'm not mistaken, that model you're looking at has the 350HP version CAT too. That's a great plus for a coach of that size.

Now, you won't be burning any tires off the back with it on take-off but, it's got real nice cruising and pulling power. The 34H is a sort of "sought after" unit due to the shorter length that people like for many reasons. The Journey line-up for Winne has been good for many years. It's got good compartment spacing, nice cabinetry, tried and proven good leveling and slide mechanisms, (mostly HWH operated) etc.

If we were looking today, we'd be heading for that very model.
Scott
We had a 2000 Journey 34' coach and now have a 2007 Journey 34H w/ CAT C7. This coach is just the right size to get in and out of tight spots in State and National Parks, and the floorplan works great for us.

The CAT C7 is a great engine. Plenty of power and then some. Had very little issues with it. I feed mine with 10W30 oil, as the HEUI seems to like it a little better, and we don't get into much hot weather pulling mountains.

Bought the '07 ordered new as I plan on keeping it for a long time. Still looks new, other than a couple scratches here and there. 40K mi on the clock and still going strong.

I love driving it. See my list of upgrades on the signature line below.

I have had no significant issues with the coach. I have repaired rust under the windshield frame, which is a common issue with Winnies. P.S. I'm about to replace the passenger side windshield on the coach due to a rock which found its way into the windshield. Will give me a good chance to inspect the rust abatement work we did on it a year ago.

I also have 400+ hours on the generator and I consider this average at about 40+ hours per year. About right for the generator.

Sounds like a great coach for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashx2 View Post
We have the sister 2007 34H Journey and love it still with 59,000 miles on it. Anywhere from 7-10 mpg towing a grand cherokee. Echo on the handling and turning, a wonderful ride. Had the entire floor redone in a laminate and the dinette booths taken out and even more room. Have fun.

I would love to see pix of the ex-dinette

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piddlerman View Post
Jeff, I agreed to buy the unit. The floor section in front of passenger seat has a broken cable and does not operate electrically. I can pull the carpet and have it come out manually. Have u had issues and if so is there a fix or upgrade. Thanks Piddlerman

No issues with mine.. I've looked in there for access and it looks like a challenge

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
We had a 2000 Journey 34' coach and now have a 2007 Journey 34H w/ CAT C7. This coach is just the right size to get in and out of tight spots in State and National Parks, and the floorplan works great for us.

The CAT C7 is a great engine. Plenty of power and then some. Had very little issues with it. I feed mine with 10W30 oil, as the HEUI seems to like it a little better, and we don't get into much hot weather pulling mountains.

Bought the '07 ordered new as I plan on keeping it for a long time. Still looks new, other than a couple scratches here and there. 40K mi on the clock and still going strong.

I love driving it. See my list of upgrades on the signature line below.

I have had no significant issues with the coach. I have repaired rust under the windshield frame, which is a common issue with Winnies. P.S. I'm about to replace the passenger side windshield on the coach due to a rock which found its way into the windshield. Will give me a good chance to inspect the rust abatement work we did on it a year ago.

I also have 400+ hours on the generator and I consider this average at about 40+ hours per year. About right for the generator.

Sounds like a great coach for you.
Don, thank you for the feedback. I have agreed to buy the coach. The slide out floor to cover the steps in front of the passenger seat no longer works. The cable is broken and the original owner said he has had it repaired the past but it only worked for weeks and then quit again. I can still pull on the carpet and slide the step cover in and out manually. Do you know if this has been an issue or have their been any updates? Your advice is greatly appreciated. thank you, Piddlerman
Old 10-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Don, thank you for the feedback. I have agreed to buy the coach. The slide out floor to cover the steps in front of the passenger seat no longer works. The cable is broken and the original owner said he has had it repaired the past but it only worked for weeks and then quit again. I can still pull on the carpet and slide the step cover in and out manually. Do you know if this has been an issue or have their been any updates? Your advice is greatly appreciated. thank you, Piddlerman
No problem with mine, nor have I heard that this is a common problem. It should be repairable and stay repaired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Piddlerman,
Well, I don't know how far you've looked into the slide cover over the steps but, here's a couple of pics of the operation. It's a drum with cables and, the almost same exact motor that powers the outside Kwikee step and, my over-the-door awning. This is one of those things that, having a generator that's on a slide out tray, gives me the advantage of accessing that entire step cover and it's operation, from underneath. Once the generator is slid out, there's a panel with a zillion screws that have to be removed.
Once the panel is off, it exposes the entire cable/drum/cover/motor operation.

But, if you don't have a slide out gen, Man, that might be tough one to fix unless they've provided other access for that system.
Scott

Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 36g Journey with the 350Cat and it has been good to us. We pull a jeep wrangler and just returned from a 2000 mile trip to South Dakota. It did well in the hills. We keep up with the preventative maintenance, even had the engine steam cleaned in Rapid City. We are currently looking at a tag axle holiday rambler because we want a bigger coach. But the Journey was a great starter for us!!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago