Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago 2003 Brave

Hello, My first post. I'm interested in a 2003 34' Brave. This would be my first MH. It has the Ford engine. It appears real nice, I haven't looked at it yet. I will be going to the Atlantic City RV show this weekend. Anyone with that year and model care to let me know if their is anything I should look out for. Also it isn't near me, about 250 miles away. How do you fine someone qualified to check it out in a unfamiliar city? Anything else I need to know would be great! Thanks, in advance... Scott
Sorry if I've gone about this wrong, I posted it in another section but think it should have been in here.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

How many miles? I have a similar model, a 1999 Brave 35C on the F53 chassis. Check the roof for any sign of leaks, will show up as stain on inside roof. Check where the roof meets the side, when pushed in there shouldn't be any separation. If there is it may just need re caulking, but check further for leaks. Have owner take you thru all the systems - water - pump, toilet, fresh water fill, holding tanks grey and black, dump valves. Electrical - shore power, generator, inverter (if installed), 12 volt converter/charger. Entertainment systems, TV, satellite receiver (if installed), DVD/VCR, dash radio. Air conditioning dash air and central air heat pump and furnace. One Place monitor guages and controls. Exterior fiberglass - check for delamination where it has bubbled, cracks. Check the operation of leveling jacks and slides. Check the batteries for general condition. Check tires for unusual wear and tread depth. Check oil for level and condition. Check the VIN number on Car Fax for ownership and possible accidents and recalls.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for replying. It has about 14,000 miles. It will need new tires and If I get it I would replace all fluids and belts. Yes I will check out the roof, but I thought I read on here that the problem was fixed for that year 2003 and later?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2004 Brave 34D. Although its on the Workhorse chassis, it will be fundamentally similar to yours. In my view, the Brave has one of the best floor plans in the industry. In general, the Brave is a well made, entry-level gasser that has the advantage of being on the market since 1971. Pay close attention to issues that have impacted the Ford chassis (see the Ford Chassis sub-forum on irv2.com). In addition, you may want to consider a few chassis improvements depending on the ride and your personal impressions and needs. All in all, one of the best motorhomes ever made. No matter what, make any sale contingent on the thorough inspection of the RV by a qualified mechanic. Best of luck. Let us know how you make out.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'll look into that, thanks. Anyone out there who has a Brave on the ford chassis? What should I be concerned with?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My '02 is on a Ford chassis. Never had a problem. There has been recalls on cruise controls, don't know of any other. I would like to see service records. My previous owner kept good records and I also keep records of everything done. Now have 35K miles, lot of trips in southeast and one trip to Wyoming and Montana. Little slow on some mountain roads but so was everyone else. I have had both Ford and Chevy and think the Ford has a little harsher ride but both is basically a truck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here is a checklist for buying any new Motor Home.

Dick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Delivery Checklist.pdf (99.0 KB, 172 views)
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp45 View Post
I'll look into that, thanks. Anyone out there who has a Brave on the ford chassis? What should I be concerned with?
I don't think there is anything to look for that is chassis specific. The F53 is a pretty straight forward chassis. The cruise control recall was for a switch that could possibly cause a fire. It was a 5 minute fix and recall notices went out to all owners. Doing a VIN check will verify whether or not it was done. Most of the concerns on the V10 engine were for earlier models than the 2003. I have a 1999 model with 88,000 miles on it and am very happy with it. You might want to replace the shocks to improve the ride. I wnt with Monroe RV shocks which are much less expensive than Koni and Bilstein and I am happy with them. I also put AirLift air bags front and rear which I really like. It allows me to level when the tanks are all full and really makes a difference with side winds.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Only chassis problem on my '02 Brave, F53, Was the factory radiator hose broke.
Replaced it with a screw type hose clamp and have had no other problems.
A few minor problems with the house but overall very good quality.
Ben Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank everyone who responded. I recieved an email from the dealer and was told that the 2003 brave I was interested in is sold. I'm really upset but their will be another. Thanks again, Scott
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The Brave has a strong reputation for quality and reliability within the gas motorhome category. As a result, they don't tend to sit around long. On the other hand, many were manufactured so you should be able to get your hands on one if you keep your eyes peeled. Best of luck.

Jack