Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
04 Journey since 09-17

Windshield leak

Have taken my 2004 Journey on one camp visit. A great friend fixed about 3 plumbing leaks. Have a dry rot spot in upper left corner windshield with about 3 inches of track rubber gone. Figure to use some self leveling silicone on molding strip BUT any suggestions on filling the 3x2 gap?
RVMJR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMJR52 View Post
Have taken my 2004 Journey on one camp visit. A great friend fixed about 3 plumbing leaks. Have a dry rot spot in upper left corner windshield with about 3 inches of track rubber gone. Figure to use some self leveling silicone on molding strip BUT any suggestions on filling the 3x2 gap?
Yikes! 3" of track missing?? I'd recommend calling Winnie and getting all the documentation for the RV including the parts list and drawings. Then get that missing piece ordered. Then you might consider adding some aftermarket tapes and stick on gutter to avoid using silicone. Nasty stuff that silicone.

Perhaps you can find something to use at my blog, this link is exactly about front window leaks and repairs: Weather Proofing, & Windows... | Chaos Leaves Town

Good luck...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #3
04 Journey since 09-17

Temp fix

Thanks JimHiTek. Like the gutter to help. My goal is a couple of leak free trips before paying for the right fix - new windshield and tracking.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2009 Itasca Latitude has the same thing going on. The upper gasket actually shifted over about 3 inches leaving a gap. We got on a ladder and pulled it back. I discovered the problem when rain started pouring in the top of the windshield. I pulled off the plastic molding inside the coach and discovered RUST on on side. We are getting the whole thing fixed-- about $3,500 parts and labor.
mmriddile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmriddile View Post
Our 2009 Itasca Latitude has the same thing going on. The upper gasket actually shifted over about 3 inches leaving a gap. We got on a ladder and pulled it back. I discovered the problem when rain started pouring in the top of the windshield. I pulled off the plastic molding inside the coach and discovered RUST on on side. We are getting the whole thing fixed-- about $3,500 parts and labor.

That's amazing that there would be a 3" gap. Makes you wonder about the tech that did the work...that's assuming it came that way from the factory.

BTW, mmriddile, did you get any pictures of that? If you did, I'd like to add it to my blog article.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We've done a couple of repairs with Permatex gasket material - the black gooey stuff that will fill and seal a void. Found a friend's windshield with more than a foot missing on the lower edge - we could actually flex the WS with our fingers. Repair is still holding 2 years later ...
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
04 Journey since 09-17

Thanks for the help. My trusty friend went to a body shop and bought a tube of 3M Window Weld urethane. So we pulled off the top molding strip, did a little cleanup of the track, and then used the urethane to fill the large hole and as a sealant in the good track - and it has worked wonderfully.

Tags
leak