Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How many of us own a Itasca Sunova 34A or a Sightseer 34A?

We ordered ours on 3/14/07 and we can't wait to get it.

Is there any chance of running 4 6 volt batteries? Where would / did you put them?

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax-Allison
bccsrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How many of us own a Itasca Sunova 34A or a Sightseer 34A?

We ordered ours on 3/14/07 and we can't wait to get it.

Is there any chance of running 4 6 volt batteries? Where would / did you put them?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #3

I have a 2005 model on a Workhorse chassis. In '05 they used a 5-speed Allison transmission; for '06 and '07 they use a 6-speed Allison, which I'm sure is really nice.

Great floorplan; when we went looking I only wanted a single-slide but got what I thought was a good price ($76,500 with 5,500 miles with most of the options listed in the brochure) and bought it. Takes a few minutes to get it all set up but there is plenty of room for everyone when done. One wish would be for the bedroom slide to have a bigger electric motor; it's kind of slow sliding out and in.

Can't really call it 'camping' now with all those goodies... enjoy and post any questions regarding this model.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I see that you have Model 34.5A, was that an actualy model in 2005? Did they change it to 34A in 2006 and 2007?

Do you have an invertor in yours? I wanted to get one but I didn't think 300 Watts was very big. I'm going to get a bigger one, I was told it comes pre wired.

Have you had any problems?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cramer:
I see that you have Model 34.5A, was that an actualy model in 2005? Did they change it to 34A in 2006 and 2007?

Do you have an invertor in yours? I wanted to get one but I didn't think 300 Watts was very big. I'm going to get a bigger one, I was told it comes pre wired.

Have you had any problems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine's a 2005 and I think that was the first model year. I haven't looked at a 2007 but the online brochure shows that the general floorplan looks the same. I know that they upgraded the transmission, starting in 2006, to the Allison six-speed automatic.

No major problems, though I have had a few minor ones.

Entry door was adjusted due to a huge rattle; had to go back for another adjustment because then you had to slam it really hard to close.

Shower leaked; the glass enclosure had to be re-sealed.

Two 110v receptacles had to be replaced: no power.

The biggest problem is one the dealer hasn't resolved yet: dual a/c & heat pumps but the rear heat pump does not blow hot air.

Overall, we are happy with the MH but have been disappointed with the dealer: they even hit our MH on a previous visit and I just picked it up after it was left there for 7 days. The exterior body had not been repaired so it goes back again this Monday.

My MH does have the 300 watt inverter too; it's used for the front T.V. but for some reason the DVD / VHS / Surround sound is not plugged into it.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Richard,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So you have 2 AC's and they both have heat strips? I ordered that option and I was wondering if I can run both AC's or both heat strips when plugged into shore power?

This is a 30 AMP circuit right?

I will have to check on the heat coming out of both heat strips, plus make sure both AC's are working.

That's too bad about the dealer. I can't believe that they hit your MH. That has to be frustrating when they do something like that.

The Allison 6 speed transmission will be nice. It will help save me that 1 mpg if I can keep my foot out of it.

Where are the plugs for your invertor? Are they just up by the TV or are there any near the bedroom? Can you find out where the TV is plugged in and move your DVD and other stuff to that plug?

Thanks, Brandon

Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cramer:
Richard,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So you have 2 AC's and they both have heat strips? I ordered that option and I was wondering if I can run both AC's or both heat strips when plugged into shore power?

This is a 30 AMP circuit right?

I will have to check on the heat coming out of both heat strips, plus make sure both AC's are working.

That's too bad about the dealer. I can't believe that they hit your MH. That has to be frustrating when they do something like that.

The Allison 6 speed transmission will be nice. It will help save me that 1 mpg if I can keep my foot out of it.

Where are the plugs for your invertor? Are they just up by the TV or are there any near the bedroom? Can you find out where the TV is plugged in and move your DVD and other stuff to that plug?

Thanks, Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brandon;

After some disagreement with the dealer, yes, there are two heat pumps. My local dealer originally tried to convince me that only the front a/c & heat pump actaully had a heat pump but that's not what the brochure said. Even more confusing, I posted the question here and at least one other person with the same set-up said there is only one unit. I contacted Winnebago and they told me there are in fact two heat pump units. The local dealer now agrees but hasn't determined why the a/c unit seems to be turning on in the electric heat mode on the rear unit. Both units can be turned on at the same time, using the MH generator or shore power and it is 30 amp.

Regarding the MH damage, they didn't even tell me... I discovered it when they pulled it up for me to leave after they had tried to repair the heat pump issue. Overall, the damage isn't really bad, but yes, I did get and am still upset, since they still haven't fixed it yet.

The six-speed transmission I belive has two overdrive gears; I would mainly look at it as running quieter at highway speeds. I would be surprised if you actually picked up a full one mile to the gallon in real world driving.

Not sure about the inverter and the rear t.v. as I never tried it. We are going to the coast tonight for the weekend so I will try to remember to check it out. There is a 110v and 12v power outlet at the t.v. area but I just assumed it was not connected to the inverter but never actually checked it. I did turn off the generator once while watching the front t.v. and using the DVD player and the t.v. stayed on but the DVD player went dead. It may be possible to have the DVD player plugged into the inverter but I didn't check that out either... lots of homework for me this weekend!

I'm still tring to figure out what to do with the rear t.v; I wanted to put a 20" flatscreen CRT there with a VHS and DVD built in, but every unit I've looked at is about 1 1/2 inch too wide, so it won't slide in. I looked at the cabinet the other day to see if I could drop it to install the t.v. and put it back up but it looks like quite a project. The 'cabinet' consists of many pieces, including the front trim work that would have to be removed. Winnebago used weird screw-heads at weird angles so I'm concerned that I could take it apart but have a mess when back together. The t.v. area on mine has double-doors (which doesn't even show up in the Winnebago Parts download) but wish it was just a simple cabinet opening. (And 2" wider!)

Take care, post any other questions you might have...
Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I just bought mine in 10/06 and absolutely love it. Its an 06 with an 05 chasis (WH) with the 5 speed tranny. Only been on one local trip before winterzing and storing but it was a pleasure. I purchased it for 84K without jacks which I wish it had but I will be adding those this year. To date these are my problems, the coach battery needed replacement (lot rot), a crack in the fiberglass roof between ladder rails and two small cracks on the curved edge by the awning needed repairing, and the carpet got replaced due to stains that would not come out when I bought it ( huge job btw) just picked it back up. Thats it, this is my first A and man am I loving it, now I can take long trips and not worry as much about breaking down!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by guntruck:
I just bought mine in 10/06 and absolutely love it. Its an 06 with an 05 chasis (WH) with the 5 speed tranny. Only been on one local trip before winterzing and storing but it was a pleasure. I purchased it for 84K without jacks which I wish it had but I will be adding those this year. To date these are my problems, the coach battery needed replacement (lot rot), a crack in the fiberglass roof between ladder rails and two small cracks on the curved edge by the awning needed repairing, and the carpet got replaced due to stains that would not come out when I bought it ( huge job btw) just picked it back up. Thats it, this is my first A and man am I loving it, now I can take long trips and not worry as much about breaking down! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I had to replace the carpet I would be half tempted to leave it with a vinyl floor and use carpet runners.

If you didn't get it with jacks do you have to manually raise and lower the jacks, or did it comes with any jacks at all?

I think it's great to make a list of owners that own the same as we do. Makes it easier to share ideas.

Is anyone running 4 - 6 volt batteries? I think I know the answer but I have 4 brand new Trojan T105's I would like to use and not let them go to waste.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by guntruck:
I just bought mine in 10/06 and absolutely love it. Its an 06 with an 05 chasis (WH) with the 5 speed tranny. Only been on one local trip before winterzing and storing but it was a pleasure. I purchased it for 84K without jacks which I wish it had but I will be adding those this year. To date these are my problems, the coach battery needed replacement (lot rot), a crack in the fiberglass roof between ladder rails and two small cracks on the curved edge by the awning needed repairing, and the carpet got replaced due to stains that would not come out when I bought it ( huge job btw) just picked it back up. Thats it, this is my first A and man am I loving it, now I can take long trips and not worry as much about breaking down! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I had to replace the carpet I would be half tempted to leave it with a vinyl floor and use carpet runners.

If you didn't get it with jacks do you have to manually raise and lower the jacks, or did it comes with any jacks at all?

I think it's great to make a list of owners that own the same as we do. Makes it easier to share ideas.

Is anyone running 4 - 6 volt batteries? I think I know the answer but I have 4 brand new Trojan T105's I would like to use and not let them go to waste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I take out the carpet, hopefully not too soon, my wife was thinking of a quality laminate. We know someone who did it on a 1995 25' Flair and it sure looks good. (He didn't do the entry steps for obvious reasons.)

I forgot to answer on the batteries; mine were replaced already but the dealer installed one size larger 12v batteries. I would think the biggest problem is space; one chassis battery and two coach batteries are mounted under the entry step area. Very tight fit with three batteries; I don't think you could install a total of five batteries in that same location.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #11

guntruck;

When you had the carpet replaced, was the entire MH done or a specific area?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
I forgot to answer on the batteries; mine were replaced already but the dealer installed one size larger 12v batteries. I would think the biggest problem is space; one chassis battery and two coach batteries are mounted under the entry step area. Very tight fit with three batteries; I don't think you could install a total of five batteries in that same location. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much room do you have under the hood by the engine? I'm trying to keep in mind that I would like to be able to see them and make sure they have the proper levels every month or so.

I don't know if that is a bad thing having longer battery cables with having 2 - 6 volts under the steps and 2 - 6 volts in the engine compartment running together to make 12 volts.

I would prefer to keep all of my storage compartments not to mention the ventilation they would need.

I wonder if I could have my Itasca sent next day shipping.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hey count me in, we got our 34-A last October, it was a 05 dealer carry over, and they made me an offer I couldn't resist, they wanted it off the lot. Has the workhorse chassis, kwikee jacks, back-up camera, and really enjoy the room of the opposed slides in the living area, only have one small trip on it, but it was a blast.
Took it out of storage this week getting ready for a Arizona trip in a short.
The main thing I liked was the 7.5k of towing capacity, we got rid of the 5k hitch and installed a 10k unit, we can take more toys with us.
Don't know about the batteries, had the dealer install new ones in mine as part of deal, didn't want 2 year old batteries in a new moho, hope I don't have to worry about it for awhile.

Enjoy the new ride

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Count us in as happy 34-A owners. Ours is a 2006 on an 05 Ford. We also had the shower leak and the door rattle. We took a 600 mile round trip to Tybee Island two weeks ago and all went well. I did try the heats pumps, and I do get heat from front and rear. I also agree we need a 34-A fan club
Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

When I do my PDI and test drive I will watch for the shower leak and the door rattle. This gives me some more stuff to watch out for when I pick it up.

I plan on doing the Winnebago PDI unless someone has a better one.

Brandon

Old 03-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvdawg:
Hey count me in, we got our 34-A last October, it was a 05 dealer carry over, and they made me an offer I couldn't resist, they wanted it off the lot. Has the workhorse chassis, kwikee jacks, back-up camera, and really enjoy the room of the opposed slides in the living area, only have one small trip on it, but it was a blast.
Took it out of storage this week getting ready for a Arizona trip in a short.
The main thing I liked was the 7.5k of towing capacity, we got rid of the 5k hitch and installed a 10k unit, we can take more toys with us.
Don't know about the batteries, had the dealer install new ones in mine as part of deal, didn't want 2 year old batteries in a new moho, hope I don't have to worry about it for awhile.

Enjoy the new ride </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you have the same set-up as mine; how did you get 7.5k of towing capacity? I thought the factory information stated 5k...
Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #17

Thanks, Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brandon;

Got back from a quick trip to the coast and can answer one of your questions. The 300 inverter that is mounted in front is wired to the front t.v. AND rear t.v. 110v. Nice surprise, as I assumed I would need to install a rear inverter. 300 watts is a little small, so maybe I will try to replace it somewhere down the road, and since one is already there, it shouldn't be too hard. The surround sound / DVD VHS player is not wired to it, so maybe I can resolve that issue too.

Another thing I discovered but can't answer; the VHS signal goes to the rear t.v. but yet the DVD does not. It's the same player, so I don't understand that... anyone with more information on that?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

The entire carpet was replaced, they had to extend the slides all the way out (living room and bedroom) to do it all. And there were no jacks at all on the coach, I need to get them its not the coolest leveling a large coach with boards =(. I was actually looking into the workhorse air suspension it runs around 5200 installed, you can level with those and have an air ride all in one. Only problem is the manufacturer is the only ones who intsall it and there in Indiana which is quit a hike for me. I will probably end up taking it to camping world to just have jacks put on.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Richard,

I would look to see where the TV is plugged in and I bet you can plug your DVD player in there. I'm not sure if the 300 watt inverter will run both the TV and the Surround Sound / DVD VHS player.

I decided not to have the invertor installed because it was too small for the price. I was told that it will be prewired for a inverter. I plan on installing a bigger one when I get my Itasca. Of course with the invertor I would like to have 4 6 volt batteries for dry camping.

Don't you have a box that switches from cable to DVD or sattelite? I have one in my Hurricane that allows you to watch different selections on each TV.

I would also like to know about the towing capacity. We plan on getting a 20' Reinell boat. We sure do miss the water...

Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #20

Richard,

I would look to see where the TV is plugged in and I bet you can plug your DVD player in there. I'm not sure if the 300 watt inverter will run both the TV and the Surround Sound / DVD VHS player.

Don't you have a box that switches from cable to DVD or sattelite? I have one in my Hurricane that allows you to watch different selections on each TV.

I would also like to know about the towing capacity. We plan on getting a 20' Reinell boat. We sure do miss the water... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The inverter is currently set up to play the front and rear t.v; no switches to push like my old MH. I don't understand how the front-mounted VHS & DVD player only sends a VHS signal to the rear t.v. Since it's one player, it seems that both would go to the back...

As far as towing goes, I thought our W20 chassis had a maximum of 5,000 lbs. towing capacity. I would like to know more if the chassis can actually tow 7,500 lbs. without any harm to the engine, transmission, braking or cooling systems.