Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Which model toilet in 2004 Journey?

We're in AK, our new to us 2004 Journey coach is in Portland, but I want to replace seals, ball valve and spring when we're down there for Thanksgiving. It's a Sealand, porcelain, foot pedal on the left (as you are facing toilet…) and has the hand sprayer. I'm thinking model 510 but want to be sure before I order parts. Coach is 10 years old and I doubt seals have ever been replaced. Foot pedal flops around and has to be returned to neutral position manually, and the ball valve looks like , well,… crap!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The toilet is likely a Sealand 2010, however to be sure, you can remove the "decorative" bottom cowl and on the base you will find a plate with the model number there. I replaced mine over the summer but could not find a direct replacement. Since I only needed to replace the bowl, I used the bowl from the replacement toilet I bought. I also used the mounting ring, seal and anti-siphon valve that came with the replacement.

When you replace the ball valve, do not have any venting/heat going as having any negative pressure in the coach will likely suck some pretty rotten smells from the black tank via the vent. Parts are available, you may have do some looking, though.

Scott
Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Congrats on your purchase. The 36G is a nice coach. Almost bought one once but ended up with the 39K. Be sure and search the CAT, ALLISON, Freightliner and Winnebago forums. There are many issues within each forum that you should bone up on just for future reference. We've had ours for 3.5 yrs and I'm still learning something new as I go along. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The black back that comes with the coach and the build sheet posted in one of the closets should have that information on it including the serial numbers of most devices even those of the tires.

A call to Winnebago Customer supports Toll Free number with your VIN will also get you pretty exact info on what was originally installed in your coach.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You can go to Winnebago Industries to the resources page. With the I believe the last 6 digits of the Winnie serial number you can down load the alpha sheet (PDF) with every part/piece used to build that coach.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I went through the build list on Winnebago's site, but it gives Winnebago's part number for the toilet, and not the Dometic Sealand model number. Seals and ball valve are the same for models 500, 510, 2000 and 2010, so I ordered those from Amazon, and when we get down to where the coach is in Oregon on the 25th I'll find out if I'm a good gambler or not. Actually, we'll be flying up to Portland because we leave for Puerto Vallarta tomorrow night!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Enjoy your trip to PVA! We go every March or April to escape the last of winter here. If you've never been, try Ay Carumba (I recommend the surf and turf--if you can eat it all, you're gonna be really, really full!). The view over Banderas Bay is great! Also, Le Kliff (a bit pricey, but the view of the bay and sometimes whales is spectacular!). Those two may be a bit touristy, but the food is great! Also, if you have a kitchen while there... there's a Costco! The first six or so times we went we also liked Mariscos Cuetos, but the last time we went, I got bad oysters and was sick for a night--it might have been the tequila, (try the seafood tray... it's awesome!). I don't know... anyhow. Have fun!

Scott
Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Spent a good part of our Thanksgiving holiday working on the Journey. Toilet model in 2004 Journey is 510 series. I replaced ball, shaft, spring cartridge and seals - not a pleasant job because previous owners hadn't done much cleaning. Make that, any cleaning… I found a great post here with pictures to take me through it. Refrigerator was another major cleaning job, but things are looking up. On the to do list: Original tires have to be replaced ASAP and larger day/night shades are in poor shape, Sleep Comfort air mattress is toast, and TV's will need to be replaced - all as funds allow.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by corprimo View Post
We're in AK, our new to us 2004 Journey coach is in Portland, but I want to replace seals, ball valve and spring when we're down there for Thanksgiving. It's a Sealand, porcelain, foot pedal on the left (as you are facing toilet…) and has the hand sprayer. I'm thinking model 510 but want to be sure before I order parts. Coach is 10 years old and I doubt seals have ever been replaced. Foot pedal flops around and has to be returned to neutral position manually, and the ball valve looks like , well,… crap!
My Sealand 510 toilet is 17 years old.
I replaced the flush ball rubber seals 10 years ago because the bowl would no longer hold water..........(otherwise the toilet has been trouble free).

If/when the bowl does not hold water, all that is needed to make it reseal is a few applications of full strength CLR in the bowl and working the flush ball a few times to remove calcium deposits.

I wish I had known that 10 years ago.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Corprimo, on your Sleep Number mattress, if it is the queen size, their are two individual air chambers. Both of ours developed leaks within 4 months of each other this year. Sleep Number website has a detailed instructions on how to pinpoint if the problem is the air chambers or the pump. If it is the air chambers, they will replace them for you at a cost of about $88 per chamber including shipping. I did their "online chat" but you can call them also. One of ours popped a seam and caused a leak the other one failed where the hose connects to it. If you end up replacing the air chambers, the overall height will be 1/2" shorter than the originals(even they don't know why) so I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of 1/2" styrofoam insulating panel and cut to fit and placed them under each chamber.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Amazingly, the air chambers seem to be OK. No display on either control, bottom of cover is badly ripped on the bottom and foam is falling out on the sides. We can probably get a new 8" memory foam for less than fixing the Sleep Number.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Call Winnebago support. With your SN they can tell you exactly what it had when built. I don't know why you need to order the parts unless you get a good deal online. Most of the bigger RV stores carry these parts. Don't forget to get the flange gasket. It will most likely fail when you take the toilet off.

If the SN is not with you the dealer you bought the coach from may have that info for you.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like you're well on on your way to going through everything with a fine tooth comb. That's good. The last thing you'd want is to have something fail away from home.

Scott
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Amazingly, the air chambers seem to be OK. No display on either control, bottom of cover is badly ripped on the bottom and foam is falling out on the sides. We can probably get a new 8" memory foam for less than fixing the Sleep Number.
Find your pump and make certain that it is plugged in. We had the Sleep Numbers in our last rig and really liked it. If you can patch the fabric tear and find the problem with the pump I think you will like the mattress.

As you check your systems out make certain that your EMS is working correctly. If your coach is a 50A make certain to test it on 30A and 20A. The EMS should follow and you need to intercede and between 30 and 20A. Do a dry-dock run to test your batteries and generator while you are at it.

I may be singing to the quire. If so I know you will have a good and well prepared trip.

Happy trails,
Rick

Tags
journey