Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Where is the OBD plug?

1999 Ultimate Advantage on a Freightliner chassis. CAT 330hp engine.

Where is the OBD plug?

What adapter do you use to get data? Looking for a wireless adapter to use with a tablet.

What app do you use?

Thanks,

Mel
MelLandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The OBD plug in a '02 Freightliner with Cat engine is in two places. 1st, it's under the dash to the left of the steering column. Often tucked into the wiring bundle there. 2nd, there is an OBD connector over the rear radiator if you have one.

Next, the OBD for 'truck chassis' for a '99 will not have a working app, at least there wasn't one the last time I checked, which was back in April of '19. You can buy a truck chassis reader for $330 or so. The Chinese might change that soon though.

There's some OBD information I collected and wrote an article about for truck chassis: OBD Truck Chassis Info

Note that Freightliner wasn't required to have any OBD until '06. It was an optional thing sometimes asked for by the house manufacturer. Also, they didn't use the 'D' style OBD connector until '06 either. You should look for a round connector. There are 'Y' adapters though that you can plug in a modern OBD II device into for around $18.

But the readers are what's hard to find. I spent a lot of hours trying to find an inexpensive reader or app...didn't find anything suitable. What you're looking for is something that specs 'Truck Chassis' OBD reader. Keep in mind that if the ad says it's product is for "truck chassis' after '06", it reads the newer OBD protocol but not the older one. And your '99 qualifies as the older protocol.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I loaned/lost/misplaced my old OBDII reader. Not shilling for any particular product, but I purchased this Launch CR-HD reader

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have had it several weeks. Like it. Highest rated (for what that's worth) CReader I could find that is compatible with heavy trucks, light trucks and autos.

Have used it on our 2007 Journey (Freightliner, Cummins), our 2012 Camry XLT, our 1998 Ford Ranger, our son's 2017 Mazda SUV, daughter-in-law's 2017 Prius (I know, but they recently escaped from Los Angeles -- baby steps) and our neighbor's 2016 View.

Plug n Play out of the box. Only needs a tablet, laptop, etc. to upload updates.

Handy cell phone size. Nice to be able to drive down the road getting real-time info with it held in a dash mount cell phone holder. Comes with all the pieces parts -- case, USB cord, 16 pin plug (cars, light trucks), 6 pin and 9 pin adapter pigtails for HD trucks.

In our case, that pesky check engine light turned out to be a code 412 - exhaust regen high temp.

Good luck on your search.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage. The connector at the front of the coach was located behind the foot rest for your left foot. Look around in the carpet and you will find screws that need to be removed and then you can remove the foot rest. The connection was mounted to the firewall behind that foot rest --- real logical place to put it --- I use a diesel Scan Gauge to monitor my diesel engine (8.3 Cummins). I am on a Spartan chassis but, I would bet that is where Winny mounted yours also.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

X2 DavidKI also have a second outlet in the engine compartment, passenger side, about mid engine. Easier seen and connected too from the access under the bed. 40J floor plan
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote